The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Computer Science applicant reporting in. Can STEP I be used as preparation for the MAT?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4
Original post by BankOfPigs
Ahh nice to find someone else ^^

Im doing OCR, planning to do Fp2-3, s23 m123 c34 next year which should be fun.

What other subjects do you do, and how did you do in them?

I do English Eco Maths FM and did Chinese AS, got 4As and a B.

I did Maths, FM, English Lit and Chemistry at AS Level and got 4 As :smile:

Next year I'll be dropping Chemistry though - can't stand it! So just Maths FM and English at A2. Also will be doing an EPQ I hope :rolleyes: Have you had any experience of Philosophy at school? I've just been reading a few books in my own time :redface:

Have you been to Oxford and had a look at any of the colleges? I have to admit, although I've penciled 'Merton College' into the UCAS form, they all look very good!
Reply 42
Original post by seohyun
Computer Science applicant reporting in. Can STEP I be used as preparation for the MAT?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

Yes, it is good preparation.
Original post by alexmufc1995
I did Maths, FM, English Lit and Chemistry at AS Level and got 4 As :smile:

Next year I'll be dropping Chemistry though - can't stand it! So just Maths FM and English at A2. Also will be doing an EPQ I hope :rolleyes: Have you had any experience of Philosophy at school? I've just been reading a few books in my own time :redface:

Have you been to Oxford and had a look at any of the colleges? I have to admit, although I've penciled 'Merton College' into the UCAS form, they all look very good!

Nice one.
The Engilsh lit exam messed me up though, did you also have that case where there were 4 exams in one day? I got a B in it, but I still quite enjoy the subject so I don't think I'll drop it, and it might be useful in terms of offers I think.

I went to a few philosophy lessons in my free period, but I found the teacher pretty mediocre. She also never replied to my emails about what books to read... I've since then borrowed the text books from my friend, but I haven't really read much else. What books have you read, and are you going to write about them for your personal statement?

Yeah I went to oxford as some sort of school trip. We only really looked at around 7 colleges, so I'm not all too sure which ones I really want to go for. I think I prefer a college that is around medium sized. Not too small that theres no one to talk to (or doing my subject), not too big that I have to be too social :biggrin:
Nice one.
The Engilsh lit exam messed me up though, did you also have that case where there were 4 exams in one day? I got a B in it, but I still quite enjoy the subject so I don't think I'll drop it, and it might be useful in terms of offers I think.

I went to a few philosophy lessons in my free period, but I found the teacher pretty mediocre. She also never replied to my emails about what books to read... I've since then borrowed the text books from my friend, but I haven't really read much else. What books have you read, and are you going to write about them for your personal statement?

Yeah I went to oxford as some sort of school trip. We only really looked at around 7 colleges, so I'm not all too sure which ones I really want to go for. I think I prefer a college that is around medium sized. Not too small that theres no one to talk to (or doing my subject), not too big that I have to be too social :biggrin:

I can't really comment on the English Lit - my school teaches the WJEC curriculum, which I think is one of the rarer exam boards to do Lit with (irony here because WJEC are welsh :tongue:). As for the exam, I only had one in January, so I think that was lucky :smile: I'd definitely continue with Lit - I think that will certainly enter their consideration for the Philosophy side of the course.

As for the philosophy itself, I haven't been in a formal philosophy lesson as such. I started with 'Sophie's World' by Jostein Gaarder as a very basic introduction, and since then I've been reading sections of Bertrand Russell's books which provide a pretty concise summary of the history of Philosophy. I think I'll mention them fleetingly in my statement, but I won't make a big deal about them - I don't want them to expect too much! :redface:

Sounds like you've got your college criteria sorted! :wink: I can't even begin to think about what it would be like at Oxford - there just seems like so many hurdles! MAT, maths interviews, philosophy interviews...not to mention actually getting the A Level grades at the end of it all! :rolleyes:
Can AEA be used to prepare for MAT?
Original post by alexmufc1995
I can't really comment on the English Lit - my school teaches the WJEC curriculum, which I think is one of the rarer exam boards to do Lit with (irony here because WJEC are welsh :tongue:). As for the exam, I only had one in January, so I think that was lucky :smile: I'd definitely continue with Lit - I think that will certainly enter their consideration for the Philosophy side of the course.

As for the philosophy itself, I haven't been in a formal philosophy lesson as such. I started with 'Sophie's World' by Jostein Gaarder as a very basic introduction, and since then I've been reading sections of Bertrand Russell's books which provide a pretty concise summary of the history of Philosophy. I think I'll mention them fleetingly in my statement, but I won't make a big deal about them - I don't want them to expect too much! :redface:

Sounds like you've got your college criteria sorted! :wink: I can't even begin to think about what it would be like at Oxford - there just seems like so many hurdles! MAT, maths interviews, philosophy interviews...not to mention actually getting the A Level grades at the end of it all! :rolleyes:

Yeah English lit was actually my best subject in terms of UMS at GCSE, how things change..

Yeah I think i'll take a look at those books. I'm worried about putting anything actually concrete about philosophy in the personal statement, just in case they actually ask me about it! I mean I love the idea, and I'm pretty opinionated about this, but I dont knwo that many facts.

I think the grades are really the least of the worries, personally. A* Maths and FM doesn't sound that hard and an A in another subject should be okay. Just getting an offer is what I think is really scary, having to go through all these interviews and talking to all those professors :X

I've got a fair bit of pressure to get into oxford though. my sister went to cambridge so high stakes... :L
Reply 47
Original post by aceofmaster

AEA relies on C1-C4 knowledge with MAT only using C1 & C2
Original post by aceofmaster

I am, I just pick out the questions that I think I can do. Don't waste your time trying to learn things you don't need for MAT :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by Prepotency
I did STEP I 2007 yesterday (it was a really nice paper actually) and I'm pretty sure Q4, Q6, Q8 and Q13 didn't require any C3/C4 knowledge (no complex differentiation or integration).

Edit: Below I have attached the questions;

Q6

STEP I Q6 2007.png

Q8

STEP I Q8 2007.png

Q13

STEP I Q13 2007.png

Q6 and Q8 are pretty good for MAT. Q13, whilst a nice question, does require you to know what probability is, which technically isn't in C1/C2. Unlikely such a question will come up in MAT.

(Subbing to help out, especially now it's used by Imperial too :smile: )
Yeah English lit was actually my best subject in terms of UMS at GCSE, how things change..

Yeah I think i'll take a look at those books. I'm worried about putting anything actually concrete about philosophy in the personal statement, just in case they actually ask me about it! I mean I love the idea, and I'm pretty opinionated about this, but I dont knwo that many facts.

I think the grades are really the least of the worries, personally. A* Maths and FM doesn't sound that hard and an A in another subject should be okay. Just getting an offer is what I think is really scary, having to go through all these interviews and talking to all those professors :X

I've got a fair bit of pressure to get into oxford though. my sister went to cambridge so high stakes... :L

There's also a book by Stephen Law called 'The Great Philosophers' which I'd reccomend for all of the fact based stuff. It gives succinct profiles of the 50 most important philosophers with biographies, their theories, publications, connections with contemporaries etc. Very useful :biggrin:

Yeah, imagine, if we get interviews, waiting by the computer on the day when the offers are released :s-smilie: my heart would be in my mouth every time I got an email :tongue: I think the biggest nightmare I have would be getting an offer, then somehow having a disaster in the end of year exams and missing it!!! :eek:

Luckily I have no such pressure - no history of Oxbridge in my family. I think I'm breaking new ground by actually applying :L

Are your school offering you any help in preparing for the MAT?
(edited 10 years ago)
I did STEP I 2007 yesterday (it was a really nice paper actually) and I'm pretty sure Q4, Q6, Q8 and Q13 didn't require any C3/C4 knowledge (no complex differentiation or integration).

Hey, I'm just trying Q4, I'm stuck on the first part of the second paragraph, the one about k and the two quadratic equations with roots of k. Just want to make sure it doesn't require anything above C1 and C2. It feels like it's straight forward but for some reason I keep hitting a dead end. :smile:
Original post by so it goes
Hey, I'm just trying Q4, I'm stuck on the first part of the second paragraph, the one about k and the two quadratic equations with roots of k. Just want to make sure it doesn't require anything above C1 and C2. It feels like it's straight forward but for some reason I keep hitting a dead end. :smile:

I got stumped at this stage for a short while, however, I saw that in the next part they were asking us to determine a similar expression involving k^2. So my thought process was 'how did they remove the k^2 (y^2, as k is a root) from the two original equations'. They must have made them somewhat similar.

I don't want to say any more as you definitely will figure it out as it is pretty simple.
I got stumped at this stage for a short while, however, I saw that in the next part they were asking us to determine a similar expression involving k^2. So my thought process was 'how did they remove the k^2 (y^2, as k is a root) from the two original equations'. They must have made them somewhat similar.

I don't want to say any more as you definitely will figure it out as it is pretty simple.

Thanks, I should have spotted that :P I'll give it another go :biggrin:

Thanks again :colondollar:
Question 5 is nice
Original post by joostan
STEP is more challenging than MAT so is a good place to start. I'd recommend looking at STEP 2002 Q1. It's fairly straight forward and should only require C1/2 :smile:

The problem which begins 'State the Orbit-Stabilizer Theorem for a finite group G acting on a set X.'?
I haven't done groups in maths.. I come from the Scottish qualification system.
Reply 56
Original post by jadoreétudier
The problem which begins 'State the Orbit-Stabilizer Theorem for a finite group G acting on a set X.'?

:eek:

Are you sure you're looking at the right exam? Orbit-Stabilizer is ( advanced) first/ second year uni stuff!

EDIT: you looked at the Tripos exam, STEP is a lot more understandable than that :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by shamika
:eek:

Are you sure you're looking at the right exam? Orbit-Stabilizer is ( advanced) first/ second year uni stuff!

EDIT: you looked at the Tripos exam, STEP is a lot more understandable than that :biggrin:

Advanced first/second year stuff - but pretty easy really :lol:
Reply 58
Original post by jadoreétudier

:colondollar: I think you have the wrong exam :tongue:
Reply 59
Original post by Noble.
Advanced first/second year stuff - but pretty easy really :lol:

For you maybe, I hated O-S, the questions get hard pretty quickly (or maybe I'm just dumb). Once I got over it though, I found the rest of group theory pretty straightforward.

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending