The Student Room Group

Parents reaction to your A-level results?

Scroll to see replies

I got 4 A's in my AS and when I told my mum she was like "good, now clean the kitchen" :angry:
My dad didnt even say "well done" or anything...he was like :erm:
These are the times I feel underappreciated.....
But I guess deep down they are proud of me...I think
Original post by -Neuro-
My dad's reaction:

Spoiler

Hahahahaha this is the kind of thing my dad used to do. Dad I'm engaged!!! Oh right ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Dad don't know what A levels is, mum just waited to see if I had done better then other family members to see if she had an excuse to boast.
Reply 43
I got ABC n my mum let out a shout if "f***ing brilliant kid" all the while my highly religious and swear hating study supervisor was beside her

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by Nina8
I just finished ASlevel and got 3A's and a B. My mum screamed and called me a disappointment. Said no medical schools will take me in A2 and I can kiss my dream uni (Imperial) goodbye. I think she hates me.
Have been a mess since morning, just want to stop living .

let me read this right u got 3 As and a B.....
what is the issue again????
My mum was really proud. I got ABB, and considering I got BBCC last year I think it's an improvement. Now she's happy as she knows I can apply to the universities I wanted to go to :redface:
My mum was really happy and wouldn't stop bothering me, given I had a bit of a headache... I'm happy to get into my university, but quite annoyed that I only scraped a B in politics given I had an A at AS :/ - Still, I went from a B to an A in economics and a low C to a B in Philosophy so it worked out in the end :smile:
Mine have no idea I even got my results.

My phone's been broken for about a week so dad can't even call me to ask when he's at work (which is 14 hours of the day, he comes home when I'm asleep!) AND he's currently preoccupied with his little empire as he may be opening his third business soon so unless his friends remind him about the results by boasting about their kids and their results, he'll have no idea. :ahee:
Reply 49
Not A-Levels and our results were out by June.

I got the highest grades in my school and my parents were happy to the roof with my dad even crying (twice, once while being with my mum and once with me). I lost my grandmother in the beginning of the year and it did cost me alot. It still does :frown: and he probably thought of her because she really wanted me to do very well!

However, I cannot explain how happy I was when my mum hugged me and told me that dad cried in happiness! The best feeling I've had in my entire life!!!

I will get 1000 euros for achieving the highest grade in my school and these being the first money I sweat for doubled the achievement for me.

I will never forget it!

[God this is turning emotional so I am gonna stop it here]
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ambbs
My mum: "I didn't even know you were getting results. They're only mocks right?" :rolleyes:

Kind of similar to my mum, she forgot about results day as well (even though I reminded her yesterday) which is just classic for my mum. I got A*,A*,A so she was really happy for me once I reminded her.
Reply 51
Original post by michaelhaych
my mum was too busy watching UK: Border Force to care

THIS! Personally, I prefer nothing to declare (the Oz version)
I did A-Level last year, 1 year on my dad doesn't know what A-Levels I took - he said at 16 I should have got a ''proper job'' like a mechanic. :L
My mum said, 'Well done, that's good' - generic :frown:
My mum didn't even say anything except for well done and bought me a McDonalds :colondollar:
I got ABBC overall in AS. Pretty disappointed with that as I was hoping for AAAC. And my mum's reaction was the "I'm disappointed in you, so i'm not really going to talk about the results" face. My dad's reaction was a bit better but inside i know he's a bit disappointed. Ah well, will try to get AAA overall next year.
Reply 54
Original post by ApocalypseA
Kind of similar to my mum, she forgot about results day as well (even though I reminded her yesterday) which is just classic for my mum. I got A*,A*,A so she was really happy for me once I reminded her.

I reminded mine yesterday too!! She clearly wasn't listening :tongue: my 7 year old brother knew what they were for but she didn't :rolleyes:

Amazing results, well done :biggrin: where are you off to? :smile:
My dad was more bothered about how other people did like my friends and comparing my grades to theres.
I don't think they really cared. But then if I got bad results, they wouldn't have been particularly upset.

Although on my sheet, it said AEA Mathematics - D. So he thought got a D in maths which he was surprised at when it was actually a distinction :tongue:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Only just made it out of A & E
Original post by -Neuro-
My dad's reaction:

Spoiler

omg hahahaha
Original post by ambbs
I reminded mine yesterday too!! She clearly wasn't listening :tongue: my 7 year old brother knew what they were for but she didn't :rolleyes:

Amazing results, well done :biggrin: where are you off to? :smile:

Haha that sounds just like my family. :tongue:

Thank you :biggrin: I'm going to York to do Social and Political Sciences.

Quick Reply

Latest