Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Parents reaction to your A-level results? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I got 4 A's in my AS and when I told my mum she was like "good, now clean the kitchen"
    My dad didnt even say "well done" or anything...he was like :erm:
    These are the times I feel underappreciated.....
    But I guess deep down they are proud of me...I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Neuro-)
    My dad's reaction:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Hahahahaha this is the kind of thing my dad used to do. Dad I'm engaged!!! Oh right ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Dad don't know what A levels is, mum just waited to see if I had done better then other family members to see if she had an excuse to boast.

ReputationRep:
    I got ABC n my mum let out a shout if "f***ing brilliant kid" all the while my highly religious and swear hating study supervisor was beside her

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina8)
    I just finished ASlevel and got 3A's and a B. My mum screamed and called me a disappointment. Said no medical schools will take me in A2 and I can kiss my dream uni (Imperial) goodbye. I think she hates me.
    Have been a mess since morning, just want to stop living .
    let me read this right u got 3 As and a B.....
    what is the issue again????
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    My mum was really proud. I got ABB, and considering I got BBCC last year I think it's an improvement. Now she's happy as she knows I can apply to the universities I wanted to go to

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    My mum was really happy and wouldn't stop bothering me, given I had a bit of a headache... I'm happy to get into my university, but quite annoyed that I only scraped a B in politics given I had an A at AS :/ - Still, I went from a B to an A in economics and a low C to a B in Philosophy so it worked out in the end

ReputationRep:
    Mine have no idea I even got my results.

My phone's been broken for about a week so dad can't even call me to ask when he's at work (which is 14 hours of the day, he comes home when I'm asleep!) AND he's currently preoccupied with his little empire as he may be opening his third business soon so unless his friends remind him about the results by boasting about their kids and their results, he'll have no idea. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Not A-Levels and our results were out by June.

I got the highest grades in my school and my parents were happy to the roof with my dad even crying (twice, once while being with my mum and once with me). I lost my grandmother in the beginning of the year and it did cost me alot. It still does and he probably thought of her because she really wanted me to do very well!

However, I cannot explain how happy I was when my mum hugged me and told me that dad cried in happiness! The best feeling I've had in my entire life!!!

I will get 1000 euros for achieving the highest grade in my school and these being the first money I sweat for doubled the achievement for me.

I will never forget it!

[God this is turning emotional so I am gonna stop it here]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ambbs)
    My mum: "I didn't even know you were getting results. They're only mocks right?" :rolleyes:
    Kind of similar to my mum, she forgot about results day as well (even though I reminded her yesterday) which is just classic for my mum. I got A*,A*,A so she was really happy for me once I reminded her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaelhaych)
    my mum was too busy watching UK: Border Force to care
    THIS! Personally, I prefer nothing to declare (the Oz version)
    I did A-Level last year, 1 year on my dad doesn't know what A-Levels I took - he said at 16 I should have got a ''proper job'' like a mechanic. :L
    My mum said, 'Well done, that's good' - generic

ReputationRep:
    My mum didn't even say anything except for well done and bought me a McDonalds

ReputationRep:
    I got ABBC overall in AS. Pretty disappointed with that as I was hoping for AAAC. And my mum's reaction was the "I'm disappointed in you, so i'm not really going to talk about the results" face. My dad's reaction was a bit better but inside i know he's a bit disappointed. Ah well, will try to get AAA overall next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ApocalypseA)
    Kind of similar to my mum, she forgot about results day as well (even though I reminded her yesterday) which is just classic for my mum. I got A*,A*,A so she was really happy for me once I reminded her.
    I reminded mine yesterday too!! She clearly wasn't listening my 7 year old brother knew what they were for but she didn't :rolleyes:

Amazing results, well done where are you off to?

ReputationRep:
    My dad was more bothered about how other people did like my friends and comparing my grades to theres.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they really cared. But then if I got bad results, they wouldn't have been particularly upset.

Although on my sheet, it said AEA Mathematics - D. So he thought got a D in maths which he was surprised at when it was actually a distinction .

ReputationRep:
    Only just made it out of A & E

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Neuro-)
    My dad's reaction:

Spoiler:
    Show
    omg hahahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ambbs)
    I reminded mine yesterday too!! She clearly wasn't listening my 7 year old brother knew what they were for but she didn't :rolleyes:

Amazing results, well done where are you off to?
    Haha that sounds just like my family.

Thank you I'm going to York to do Social and Political Sciences.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.