Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Suggest A Film To Watch Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerd2)
    Yeah, but I have been recommended memento countless times by friends in the past, so I was aware of it before someone on here suggested it. I'm afraid to say some of the films you mentioned I have not even heard of. I've seen Carlito's Way though, good film!
    I would have thought that was the point of your thread - finding out about films you haven't heard about before. if you like usual suspects and carlitos way, youll like most of the others. valkerie is the story of von staufenburgs attmpet to assasinate hitler and what happened to him (dir. Brian singer of Usual suspect fame). wrong turn at Tahoe is just a low budget real gritty gangster movie, the type I love. remember the titans an American footy film, boring normally but mainly about racial segregation in the 60s - true story too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tif4)
    I would have thought that was the point of your thread - finding out about films you haven't heard about before. if you like usual suspects and carlitos way, youll like most of the others. valkerie is the story of von staufenburgs attmpet to assasinate hitler and what happened to him (dir. Brian singer of Usual suspect fame). wrong turn at Tahoe is just a low budget real gritty gangster movie, the type I love. remember the titans an American footy film, boring normally but mainly about racial segregation in the 60s - true story too.
    Yeah you're right, that is the point of this thread, sorry. Btw I've seen Valkyrie as well, good film.
    I'm going to give True Romance a watch, if I can find a link to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerd2)
    Yeah you're right, that is the point of this thread, sorry. Btw I've seen Valkyrie as well, good film.
    I'm going to give True Romance a watch, if I can find a link to it.
    its the first film tarantino wrote I think. I just like it. I was hoping to find ome movie on this thread I haven't seen tbh, not come across any I ddint see yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tif4)
    its the first film tarantino wrote I think. I just like it. I was hoping to find ome movie on this thread I haven't seen tbh, not come across any I ddint see yet
    All the films I like seem to popular or top rated movies, that's why I made this thread, I'm hoping I can come across some hidden gems.

I see you like the gangster genre, have you seen 'Snatch'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerd2)
    All the films I like seem to popular or top rated movies, that's why I made this thread, I'm hoping I can come across some hidden gems.

I see you like the gangster genre, have you seen 'Snatch'?
    I have seen snatch, more of a comedy, but I like it. Let the Right One In is another movie I don't think enough people talk about, one of the few US remakes that is as good as foreign original. Leon is a classic as is the 1980s The Thing - but I don't know if they are too obvious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tif4)
    I have seen snatch, more of a comedy, but I like it. Let the Right One In is another movie I don't think enough people talk about, one of the few US remakes that is as good as foreign original. Leon is a classic as is the 1980s The Thing - but I don't know if they are too obvious
    Seen those. Yeah your right 'Let the Right One In' is a really good film, I haven't come across many people that have seen it. I didn't know it was a remake though, was the original any good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerd2)
    Seen those. Yeah your right 'Let the Right One In' is a really good film, I haven't come across many people that have seen it. I didn't know it was a remake though, was the original any good?
    it was as good certainly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerd2)
    It's Kind of a Funny Story - IMDb - 7.1/10

A depressed and suicidal teenager checks himself into an adult psychiatric ward, where he meets some very 'interesting' characters.

A great film, if you can relate and/or understand the pressures of teenage life; school, parents, peers etc. 'It will make you laugh, cry and glad to be alive'.

I think everyone would enjoy this feel-good movie which has a nice message behind it. Comic relief is provided by the hilarious Zach Galifianakis (Alan from Hangover).
    Seen that one before, very heartwarming film:-D though the ending was a bit too soppy for me but there you go! Surprised it isn't higher rated on Imdb.

-JonNgog

ReputationRep:
    Here are my favourite 4 films, which I shall recommend.

1) Amelie.
    About a French girl who is also a weird fantasist.

I like it because it is brilliant, weird and has a certain dreamlike quality about it, and blends fantasy and reality together nicely. One of only two romantic comedies I can stand, because it is only technically so, and doesn't feel like one at all. My very favourite film.

People will like it who like very strange, but happy films, don't mind subtitles (it's French), and prefer thinks to be slow and thoughtful to being fast-paced.

2) Moonrise Kingdom.

About two 11 year olds who run away, prompting a search-and-rescue among the community.

I like it because it is about the most surreal thing I've ever seen. It opens some of the same doors as Amelie, but with more (or a different kind of, anyway) surrealism and somewhat darker.

People who like it... pretty much the same as "Amelie", but who like somewhat darker things (it's still not a remotely dark film, but it has a bit more of an edge).

3) The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

About three outlaws in the Old West, constantly playing each other against each other in order to get their hands on the gold.

It's basically the best Western ever made. It is a vast, sweeping epic, with a fantastic score, brilliant acting, and pitch-perfect atmosphere.

Anyone who doesn't hate Westerns should like this film. It's magnificently epic and dark and both slow-paced and containing plenty of action.

4) The Last Emperor.

About the life of the last Chinese emperor, Pu-Yi.

I like it because it has such a great atmosphere of decaying grandeur, and explores the human condition quite thoroughly. And is, again, a vast, sprawling masterpiece.

Anyone who likes something vast and sprawling and epic will like this. And anyone with a passing interest in China. It basically is a mixture of sprawling epic and close character study, and is very, very good.

ReputationRep:
    'Confessions of a dangerous mind'

Haven't actually watched it yet, got about a third of the way through and fell asleep, but it seems pretty good so far. It also has Sam Rockwell in who is a great actor. Got a 1950's American feel about it...about a TV host that goes to work for the CIA. Quite a star studied cast for a not so famous film, well it crashed at the box office but all reviews are pretty good.

'Moon'

Also Sam Rockwell, he works for a mining company in the future on the Moon. It is actually great, such a wonderful calmness to the film.

'Matchstick Men'

Sam Rockwell and Nicolas Cage(2 of my fav actors)...actually has a good story line and hasn't got a stupid twist like 'Old Boy'. It is about a conman.

'Down in the Valley'...stars Edward Norton and has that deep south American feel to it that the Coen brothers have with films. Is a good film...but I do like deep south American films, with Fargo being the obvious best.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.