The Student Room Group

Do employers care about A level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ObandeEchi
i don't wanna sound like a punk, but they are really trying to discourage me and put my motivation down, i'm very easily persuasive and emotional sometimes so i take things into consideration

Another thought:

You can go to university now, get your degree, then retake your alevels after you graduate.

You will be young enough to do this.

Graduate at 22, then redo alevels at 22/23.

Saying that Coventry is a poor university. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

EDIT:

There is no way round the UCAS cut off , unless you had real mitigating circumstances like I did. Even then some will reject you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by fat_hobbit
Tell them what I have told you.

Show them corporate graduate scheme entry requirements. How going now could not only get you into debt, but affect your career prospects.

It is not the end of the world if you DO go, but just be aware that even if you get the 2.1 you are restricted from a lot of companies. Of the top of my head civil service, HP, Siemans don't have UCAS point tresholds.

EDIT:

The other thing you can do, is retake your alevels along side your degree course.

Along side ? i think i might do
Reply 42
Another thought:

You can go to university now, get your degree, then retake your alevels after you graduate.

You will be young enough to do this.

Graduate at 22, then redo alevels at 22/23.

Saying that Coventry is a poor university. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

i'm thinking of doing this. My Dad suggested this to me just earlier, but i don't have that much knowledge of such scheme, i didn't think you can redo A Levels after University

Coventry has good facilities in terms of technology and librarys
i'm thinking of doing this.

So do a lot of universities. If you don't get into an ivy, Russell groups, Oxbridge; there are many good average unis to study at. Leeds, Reading etc.

What subject are you looking to study?
i'm thinking of doing this. My Dad suggested this to me just earlier, but i don't have that much knowledge of such scheme, i didn't think you can redo A Levels after University

You can do Alevels whenever you want. You just need to enrol as a private candidate or through a college that does Alevel resits.

It makes more sense to just do them now and use it to break into a good university. I can tell you now, Coventry isn't one. You are just a cash cow to them.
Reply 45
So do a lot of universities. If you don't get into an ivy, Russell groups, Oxbridge; there are many good average unis to study at. Leeds, Reading etc.

What subject are you looking to study?

yeah heard about russel groups etc

and i'm looking to study (BA) Economics

if i re-take the same A Levels what would the costs be like, just curious?
It depends of you have done an undergraduate then no they don't care anymore if you done a masters then your undergraduate degree won't matter also once you do your undergraduate GCSEs are not important

Posted from TSR Mobile
yeah heard about russel groups etc

and i'm looking to study (BA) Economics

if i re-take the same A Levels what would the costs be like, just curious?

Depends mate.

But you are looking at 2k if you enrol into a college or go for regular private tutoring (per subject).

If I were you, I would have a serious think about what you want to do in your career NOW, and research how to get into those corporates at entry level. That will give you an idea of what to do, as you will need to meet those requirements later on when applying.
Yes, most employers like to see good A Level grades.
Original post by Unihelper0908
It depends of you have done an undergraduate then no they don't care anymore if you done a masters then your undergraduate degree won't matter also once you do your undergraduate GCSEs are not important

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not true.

Some grad schemes even specify that you have a B in English at GCSE.

http://www.kpmgcareers.co.uk/graduates/how-to-apply/our-requirements#.Ug47t5KceUY

Academic requirements for Graduate Programmes to start in 2013

As a general rule, you’ll be expected to meet the following requirements:

Minimum grade B GCSE Maths and minimum grade B GCSE English Language or equivalent
Minimum of 320 UCAS Tariff points (or 26 UCAS points) or equivalent
Minimum 2:1 degree in any discipline
A masters won't help. Otherwise I would have done it at a top 10 uni.

That's why the whole argument that they want people from x university is really really flawed.

The only time a masters is useful, is if you plan to embark on a career in academia.

This is another pitfall graduates fall into.

Everyone needs to realize that this is a flawed recruiting system, one that is designed to filter applicants out indiscriminately. A much better approach would be for corporates to set their own specific tests in order to try and standardize things as opposed to the standard SHL tests. That way they will quickly understand who is a better 2.1 applicant.

I wasn't really arguing against your point, I’ve seen the filter system work first hand with some of my mates and know a masters from an IVY wouldn’t help you get past the first hurdle with grad schemes i.e. required UCAS points. For those still able I’ll suggest they resit alevels until they get good grades, just makes things easier in the long run.

However, I have seen mates with foreign degrees and no/avg alevels do very well for themselves topping their foreign degree with a UK masters. They are naturally filtered out of the grad schemes but they take other avenues: grad recruitment agencies or start in smaller companies and work their way around and up. I’ve seen this done numerous times. One of my oldest friends bashed away for years trying for a legal training contract (average alevels/ law degree from an African university/GDL). Decided to give it one last push, did a masters in finance again nothing then quit grad schemes and focused on niche recruitment agencies, ended up with a known Asian bank as a trainee analyst, moved to UBS then recently headhunted by BarCap as a senior manager. I only found out recent said friend had 2:2!
Reply 51
Depends mate.

But you are looking at 2k if you enrol into a college or go for regular private tutoring (per subject).

If I were you, I would have a serious think about what you want to do in your career NOW, and research how to get into those corporates at entry level. That will give you an idea of what to do, as you will need to meet those requirements later on when applying.

Man do you know what i'm thinking, i want to re-sit the exams after the degree, and do independent studying to achieve the A Level results.

and save up and pay for each module i want to take, which is mainly 6 Modules tbh

do you think that is sensible or would work ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by wetin dey?
I wasn't really arguing against your point, I’ve seen the filter system work first hand with some of my mates and know a masters from an IVY wouldn’t help you get past the first hurdle with grad schemes i.e. required UCAS points. For those still able I’ll suggest they resit alevels until they get good grades, just makes things easier in the long run.

However, I have seen mates with foreign degrees and no/avg alevels do very well for themselves topping their foreign degree with a UK masters. They are naturally filtered out of the grad schemes but they take other avenues: grad recruitment agencies or start in smaller companies and work their way around and up. I’ve seen this done numerous times. One of my oldest friends bashed away for years trying for a legal training contract (average alevels/ law degree from an African university/GDL). Decided to give it one last push, did a masters in finance again nothing then quit grad schemes and focused on niche recruitment agencies, ended up with a known Asian bank as a trainee analyst, moved to UBS then recently headhunted by BarCap as a senior manager. I only found out recent said friend had 2:2!

That's amazing mate.

I was told by a recruiter that there is no way into the corps if you dont work with them at entry level. Or work in one of their competitors.

The thing with your mate, he got into a bank of some sort. Even the smaller banks are hard to break into now.

To be honest, grad schemes are a bit of a con anyway - you need so much luck with them. I recently got turned away from a corporate because my group work wasnt good due to the group not being cohesive....there was nothing I could do at the time; one of the group members tried to play the "leader" role to get brownie points and in the process ignored her team members despite us expressing our concerns to her. I was scoring highly prior to that.

I'm livid till this day.
(edited 10 years ago)
i don't wanna sound like a punk, but they are really trying to discourage me and put my motivation down

If you don't want to go, don't go. Talking from experience, if your family is pressuring you to go don't go, the first few weeks may be hard but in the end its better. Better than dropping out after year 1.
Man do you know what i'm thinking, i want to re-sit the exams after the degree, and do independent studying to achieve the A Level results.

and save up and pay for each module i want to take, which is mainly 6 Modules tbh

do you think that is sensible or would work ?

No just do it before, chances are with good grades you get into a better university plus your qualifications need to follow in chronological order. Some places are very ancy and say alevel results must be in one sitting, others don't state.

That's amazing mate.

I was told by a recruiter that there is no way into the corps if you dont work with them at entry level. Or work in one of their competitors.

The thing with your mate, he got into a bank of some sort. Even the smaller banks are hard to break into now.

To be honest, grad schemes are a bit of a con anyway - you need so much luck with them. I recently got turned away from a corporate because my group work wasnt good due to the group not being cohesive....there was nothing I could do at the time; one of the group members tried to play the "leader" role to get brownie points and in the process ignored her team members despite us expressing our concerns to her. I was scoring highly prior to that.

I'm livid till this day.

He started with the asian bank at entry level, the bank outsourced their trainee recruitment to an agency he was already registered with and they put him forward, still had to go through an AC with the bank. I wouldn't say his situation is unique, the majority of my circle of friends have foreign degrees with UK masters and they're working corporate cityjobs. They've just had to take the longer route bypassing the direct grad scheme process.
Original post by wetin dey?
No just do it before, chances are with good grades you get into a better university plus your qualifications need to follow in chronological order. Some places are very ancy and say alevel results must be in one sitting, others don't state.

He started with the asian bank at entry level, the bank outsourced their trainee recruitment to an agency he was already registered with and they put him forward, still had to go through an AC with the bank. I wouldn't say his situation is unique, the majority of my circle of friends have foreign degrees with UK masters and they're working corporate cityjobs. They've just had to take the longer route bypassing the direct grad scheme process.

Did he go into a grad scheme with UBS?
i hear you man, some good stuff you are telling me.

however can you at least get onto some jobs that gets you like 20k a year after graduation which is associated with business studies when you have the following criteria below

good job experience
A Level Grade around : C D C
good Degree like 2:1
good personality: very out there
decent university

Right, if you do resit your A levels, check if they'll even be valid as some firms may ask for your grades in their first sitting, i.e. if you resit your CDC and get BBB. they may not consider the BBB grades.

Out of the firms I've asked: KPMG, PwC, Booz- they will accept you doing a new A level, i.e. say your CCD is in econ, business and pyschology, you may want to do another three A levels in maths, something and something. Obviously this would be difficult to do in one year.

What business career are you after? In accountancy the big 4 will ask for 300 UCAS points for audit and tax, and 320 for corporate finance and maybe advisory. Investment banks will typically want 320, though some ask for 340 and others may ask for 300. You also need to consider management consultancy, investment management, broking etc.

Volunteering and internships are an extra plus on your CV but I doubt they'd help if you don't meet the UCAS point criteria.

Some firms don't ask for UCAS points and you may still be able to network your way past UCAS points if you know someone in the firm or something.
Reply 57
Very informative thread, will definitely redo my A levels after I finish Uni.
Reply 58
Tell them what I have told you.

Show them corporate graduate scheme entry requirements. How going now could not only get you into debt, but affect your career prospects.

It is not the end of the world if you DO go, but just be aware that even if you get the 2.1 you are restricted from a lot of companies. Of the top of my head civil service, HP, Siemans don't have UCAS point tresholds.

EDIT:

The other thing you can do, is retake your alevels along side your degree course.

Is it really possible to resit your A levels alongside your degree? This is because although I got into uni I'm not very happy with my grades( which was very close to the grade boundary ) and would like to retake a module plus will employers be able to tell that if I retook a module to improve my grades
I thought I was screwed with 320 UCAS Points.. Can't imagine my prospects with less than 300..

Quick Reply

Latest