The Student Room Group

Paramedic Science 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by WaceMindu
Hey, I'm 19 and a first year paramedic student at bournemouth so you don't have to worry about your age. If you can show that you're mature and can cope with the job then your age won't be held against you.
I got offers from all 4 of the uni's I applied to so its do-able :smile:. Just make sure you prove that you understand the role and have a cracking personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell me your secret, I'm on my third year of applying! Although I can only apply to funded unis so don't know if there's a higher number of applicants to these unis?!
Original post by rachael22
Tell me your secret, I'm on my third year of applying! Although I can only apply to funded unis so don't know if there's a higher number of applicants to these unis?!

Ahh yes considerably more I would have thought.
Try not to be disheartened at this being your third year, in fact use it to your advantage. Don't try and hide this fact in your personal statement, show how your application has improved since last year.
Ultimately you need to show that you understand the role, you need to show that you know what kind of Jobs Paramedics are really getting called to and that this is the kind of stuff you want to get involved in.
Also talk about how you are right for the University setting. It's a very very intense course, so how can you meet the challenges that you're going to face on the course.
Personal statement is key, I hated it because its such a small number of lines to sell your self in. Get as many people to read it as possible, your tutors, parents, nurses in the family and paramedics you might know, and get as much constructive criticism on it as possible because once it's submitted it's too late.

Hope that's not teaching you to suck eggs, I don't want to tell you too much what to write because that's unfair to other applicants. I would advise going to as many open days as you can (even if it's the same ones you've been to before, because anecdotal points from the presentations may help) . If you can talk to the course leads or tutors on the course and see what they're looking for in applicants. Note it down and then really see if you're ticking those boxes on your personal statement.

Any other questions I can help with shoot :smile: if not best of luck with your application :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by WaceMindu
Hey, I'm 19 and a first year paramedic student at bournemouth so you don't have to worry about your age. If you can show that you're mature and can cope with the job then your age won't be held against you.
I got offers from all 4 of the uni's I applied to so its do-able :smile:. Just make sure you prove that you understand the role and have a cracking personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats brilliant! Congratulations. I am also 19 and Bournemouth is my first choice. How are you finding it there? Did you have much work experience? What driving license did you have? Thanks
Original post by TheRealMia
Thats brilliant! Congratulations. I am also 19 and Bournemouth is my first choice. How are you finding it there? Did you have much work experience? What driving license did you have? Thanks

Thank you :smile:

Loving it, it's hard work but the tutors are brilliant and a good area ( I live here so I naturally like it but the people who have moved down from places seem to like the area too.)
Loads of support from the staff and uni so feel very happy in the learning environment.

My work experience is quite varied and I spent a lot of time getting it, worked in an elderly peoples home with dementia, volunteer with St. John regularly, volunteered in a cancer unit, worked for a private ambulance service and have 3 years working for a paintball site.
Clinical experience isn't that important but just immersing yourself In those environments and understanding them is.
I have a full drivers licence with C1 provisional but not passed the C1 test yet and I'm not doing my blue lights until the end if the year. The tutors here don't seem too bothered about the driving category as they want you to focus on clinical aspects in training. Though there is the chance to have the blue light training on the course if yo want to... Done by SWAST though not the uni.

Good luck applying and might see you at an open day :smile: anything else I can answer just ask away :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello all.
I'm Natalie, 25 and I've applied to bournemouth university paramedic science 2014. Unfortunately Bournemouth is my only choice as I'm a single mum and can't move anywhere else.
im glad to hear people have applied to bournemouth, hopefully I may see you there next year.

thought I'd bore you all to death about my experience....
I'm an ex army medic (only class 2 though)
then worked in a care home for a year as as care and support worker.
i have 2 voluntary jobs, one as a sergeant instructor with the army cadet force. I teach all sorts of subjects to kids but my main field is first aid. My second voluntary role is as a first aider with st. johns ambulance. I had the chance to be on duty at the summer solstice at Stonehenge, met some weird folk there... And the public where strange too while they were on a cocktail of god knows what lol.

ive done biology with The Open University and have my math equivalent. GCSE science and English language and literature. Also have quals from the army including NVQ, BTEC and apprenticeship in health and social care.

i have my licence with c1 provisional so far, c1 licence is expensive and I'm skinter and skint at the moment.

You may all wake up now. I am dying to find out if I have a place at Bournemouth or not. If I do I really hope I meet you lovely people there.

x
Reply 45
I have an issue, I have applied to Swansea Uni and they accept a minimum of 3 driving licence points, which I have. I handed my application in back in August but now I have got another 3 points for speeding (what an idiot!) does anybody know a university that dosen't have a strict driving licence point criteria? Thank You
Original post by GABRIELLEW
I have an issue, I have applied to Swansea Uni and they accept a minimum of 3 driving licence points, which I have. I handed my application in back in August but now I have got another 3 points for speeding (what an idiot!) does anybody know a university that dosen't have a strict driving licence point criteria? Thank You

Hi Gabrielle, I believe the issue is not with the uni's but the ambulance services, most services won't allow you to have a certain number of points On your licence. I think it's over 6.
When do the other points expire? Because it may be the case that when you come to qualify they will have expired and you would be eligible to hire.

Best thing to do is email the uni's and see what can be done. I would declare the new points sooner than later though to achieve the best outcome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by GABRIELLEW

I think a london uni has 6 points? St georges maybe?
Reply 48
Hi,
I have an offer for paramedic science at worcester for 2014, i just wondered what the timetable is like? I understand its two days in uni and two n placement but wanted to know how they're organised on a weekly basis?
Thanks for any advice
Reply 49
Hey guys, I'm currently a first year at Greenwich Uni. I must say after all the interviews and open days I went too I found Greenwich to have the most passion. I absolutely love the course and uni.

Just want to pre-warn you all, the foundation degree in paramedic science will eventually taken away and upskilling will be essential. So if you all can apply for the full one make sure you do so.

This was mentioned at the recent COP conference I went to.

For those of you that aren't sure about wanting to be a paramedic, make sure you get plenty of experience before applying and understand what you will be getting in to.

Good luck to everyone for the 2014 intake! If anyone needs questions and advice let me know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Hi rhain1993,
Hope the course is going well? I have an interview at Cov Uni 6th Dec for para sci.
Just wondering if you can give any tips or hints for the interview?
What sort of Q's were asked? and any relevant reports that should be read?

Ive read the bradley, and the francis reports, and researching local media about the NHS etc.

Is anyone else on this interview day?

Cheers!
Reply 51
Hi guys, I am a paramedic student at staffs first year. If I can be of any help to anyone just let me know :smile:
Reply 52
Hey, I have an interview for staffs and Herts next week! Very excited :-D although staffs do a maths 'quiz' my least favourite subject.

Just to add good luck everyone if have interviews and congrats if already have offers!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by mattycorn
Hey, I have an interview for staffs and Herts next week! Very excited :-D although staffs do a maths 'quiz' my least favourite subject.

Just to add good luck everyone if have interviews and congrats if already have offers!

Hey I'm still waiting it here from herts when did you send off your application?
Reply 54
Original post by kirsty6132
Hey I'm still waiting it here from herts when did you send off your application?

Hi! Um, was Middle October I applied. As they say no news is good news, so fingers crossed for you.

I have found not one uni I applied for used UCAS for getting replies back to me so it's worth checking their online portals for updates. I nearly missed Staffs interview invite because they only updated their own system. Herts sent emails
Reply 55
Original post by mattycorn
Hi! Um, was Middle October I applied. As they say no news is good news, so fingers crossed for you.

I have found not one uni I applied for used UCAS for getting replies back to me so it's worth checking their online portals for updates. I nearly missed Staffs interview invite because they only updated their own system. Herts sent emails

I haven't even had an email to confirm they got my application where as I did for all the others did you get one to say they had your application?
Reply 56
Original post by kirsty6132
I haven't even had an email to confirm they got my application where as I did for all the others did you get one to say they had your application?

I did eventually after receiving the invite to interview by email!!
Reply 57
hi, got my interview in february for staffs.
just wondered if it was a group interview and if they did any other tests.

thanks, cat

also, ill be a college leaver and just wondered if there were many people on your course that are 18.
Reply 58
Original post by Shandlad
Hi rhain1993,
Hope the course is going well? I have an interview at Cov Uni 6th Dec for para sci.
Just wondering if you can give any tips or hints for the interview?
What sort of Q's were asked? and any relevant reports that should be read?

Ive read the bradley, and the francis reports, and researching local media about the NHS etc.

Is anyone else on this interview day?

Cheers!

Hi,
Sorry only just seen this.
I was talking to the my tutor earlier in the week and he said they've changed the format of the interviews since we did them. Not sure how much you've been told? I think what their looking for this year is more how you cope in a given situation rather than swatting up on reports.
Some of the first years (including myself) will be around on Friday so if you have any questions then don't be scared to ask. We're not that scary...promise!

Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Original post by kittycat95
hi, got my interview in february for staffs.
just wondered if it was a group interview and if they did any other tests.

thanks, cat

also, ill be a college leaver and just wondered if there were many people on your course that are 18.

Hey, I had my staffs interview on Tuesday! Failed my maths test by one question :-( I knew maths wasn't my strong point though and it was my last choice uni.

Don't know about the course at the moment but the applicants on Tuesday there were a wide range of ages!

the format is a maths test, then split into groups and do the group discussion whilst being assessed. After lunch you then get called in one by one to tell you if pass or failed and give some feedback. If you pass both maths and group test the. You stay for an interview in the afternoon
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply