Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you prefer dating someone smarter than you? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Would you prefer dating someone who's smarter than you?
    I'm a girl, and I prefer dating someone smarter than me.
    7.59%
    I'm a girl, and I prefer dating someone as smart than me.
    29.75%
    I'm a girl, and I prefer dating someone less smart than me.
    1.90%
    I'm a girl, and I have no preferences in this area.
    6.33%
    I'm a guy, and I prefer dating someone smarter than me.
    5.70%
    I'm a guy, and I prefer dating someone as smart than me.
    29.11%
    I'm a guy, and I prefer dating someone less smart than me.
    4.43%
    I'm a guy, and I have no preferences in this area.
    15.19%

ReputationRep:
    As smart as me, because i think if you're of similar intellect that you are more equally matched to that person.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Right now, as long as they're not religious/superstitious/wacky-conspiracy-theorist/new-age/retarded-in-some-other-way, I honestly don't care.

ReputationRep:
    If I'm really honest, I like being the smarter one. I'm not proud of that.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely someone equal. I didn't feel this way until I met my current boyfriend, someone I can have an intelligent conversation with, after having messed around with someone who failed his AS levels and never had anything under the surface to talk about.

However, I don't think I'd want to feel in the shadow of someone more intelligent than me, so I'm very happy to be with someone on the same level

ReputationRep:
    About the same, I'm not great at small talk so sometimes I just say random facts that come to my head to have some kind of conversation, my Gf says it's cute but since it's just me I get kinda embarrassed, it would be fun to be with someone that does the same thing and I could learn more pointless information. :P

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't date someone excruciatingly dumb nor someone extremely intelligent, just around a middle level so we can have proper discussions and they have general knowledge

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to be with someone who was equal to me, that way we'd probably be better suited for each other and have more to talk about. However, academic intelligence isn't everything, and I'd rather be with someone who had a brilliant personality over someone with high grades. I'd probably feel intimidated with someone who was insanely intelligent. :')

ReputationRep:
    Well I dated someone relatively more intelligent than me and I felt a bit insecure at times tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by susan_ani)
      Well I dated someone relatively more intelligent than me and I felt a bit insecure at times tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
      Why?

ReputationRep:
      As smart, slightly less or any any amounts of more.

I have a great ‘talent‘ where I can seem really intelligent, pretty dipsy and totally absent. All are natural and I can only control the last two to an extent.

ReputationRep:
      I currently am
      I wouldn't say there's a massive difference but she's certainly more hard working and she knows her stuff more than I do :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      Intelligence is the new sexy.

ReputationRep:
      Realistically I'd prefer a guy who was as smart as me. I think it's easier to make a connection that way. You can discuss similar topics and prevents one from getting bored of the other.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)
      Why?
      H,m I guess cos I'm quite a dreamy/care free person and they could be quite logical/serious , also liked to prove me wrong at times and I hate being wrong haha it wasn't that bad though I wasn't left crying myself to sleep at night thinking I'm worthless or anything I'm just naturally an insecure person and always over think things

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2013
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.