Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyMaths)
    OK \vec{OM}= 4 i -11j +4k + lambda(i + 4j + k)

The dot product of this with i+4j+k (the direction of AB) is 0.
    Why is OM equal to this ? Only M can be a point not the whole equation (OM). Then it can't give 0 with cross product.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaback21)
    Why is OM equal to this ? Only M can be a point not the whole equation (OM). Then it can't give 0 with cross product.
    Do the first part of the equation and you get
    r=(4,-11,4)+lambda(1,4,1)

M is some point on this line, between A and B. Remember the direction of AB is (1,4,1). So when we are at A we must move a certain multiple of (1,4,1) vector to get to this point M. We let this multiple=lambda. To break this down, the journey from O to M, which gives the position vector of M, is like this

1. Go to A from O, so vector (4, -11,4)
    2. Move a certain multiple of (1,4,1) to go from A to M
    Overall, you went from O to M

A sketch really really helps a lot to visualise things .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisshP)
    Do the first part of the equation and you get
    r=(4,-11,4)+lambda(1,4,1)

M is some point on this line, between A and B. Remember the direction of AB is (1,4,1). So when we are at A we must move a certain multiple of (1,4,1) vector to get to this point M. We let this multiple=lambda. To break this down, the journey from O to M, which gives the position vector of M, is like this

1. Go to A from O, so vector (4, -11,4)
    2. Move a certain multiple of (1,4,1) to go from A to M
    Overall, you went from O to M

A sketch really really helps a lot to visualise things .
    I know what O to M is. I know what OM is. But the equation of line OM is not what he wrote. It is only equal at the point M and O has nothing to do with it. Its the equation AB which should be (4,-11,4)+lambda(1,4,1) not OM=(4,-11,4)+lambda(1,4,1).

Equation of OM is = t(ai+bj+ck)
    where O=(0,0,0) M=(a,b,c) and t is a parameter.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaback21)
    I know what O to M is. I know what OM is. But the equation of line OM is not what he wrote. It is only equal at the point M and O has nothing to do with it. Its the equation AB which should be (4,-11,4)+lambda(1,4,1) not OM=(4,-11,4)+lambda(1,4,1).

Equation of OM is = t(ai+bj+ck)
    where O=(0,0,0) M=(a,b,c) and t is a parameter.
    You are correct. If I was not being lazy I would have said \vec{OM}=......... for some value of \lambda.

Sorry for any confusion caused.

I must be less sloppy.
    I must be less sloppy.
    Only another 98 lines to do..

ReputationRep:
    You are correct. If I was not being lazy I would have said \vec{OM}=......... for some value of \lambda.

Sorry for any confusion caused.

I must be less sloppy.
    I must be less sloppy.
    Only another 98 lines to do..
    Ha ha lol !

ReputationRep:
    X
    a=3i+5j+7k find the angle a makes with the x-axis?
    Name:  1377108456863.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  19.7 KB

With |a|=√83

Cos∅=3/√83
    ∅=71° <-- correct

Tan∅=5/3
    ∅=59° <-- wrong, but WHY?

Thank you very much
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    a=3i+5j+7k find the angle a makes with the x-axis?
    Name:  1377108456863.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  19.7 KB

With |a|=√83

Cos∅=3/√83
    ∅=71° <-- correct

Tan∅=5/3
    ∅=59° <-- wrong, but WHY?

Thank you very much
    Well, that triangle is all wrong. You can't even make a triangle with those side lengths.

I might have a go at a diagram in a minute. But mainly I should say, stick to using the dot product in these questions, even though it's good to try out your own ideas too.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Name:  vector.png
Views: 50
Size:  3.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot. The diagram did help me to visualise the situation far better.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    As previously said, here's the correct working out
    With |a|=√83

Cos∅=3/√83
    ∅=71° <-- correct

But the thing is the working out implies that 3 is the length of the adjacent side:confused:. But the diagram shows that 3 is NOT the length of a side of the triangle. i hope i am making some sense here. But i agree though that the triangle's hypotenuse is sqrt34.

From the diagram only,

For triangle's adjacent side (a)
    3^2 + 5^2=a^2
    a=sqrt34

Tanø=7/sqrt34
    Ø=47.7

Sorry, but the diagram did help me to visualise the situation far better, but I now question the "correct" working out.
    The angle you found, \displaystyle \arctan \left( \frac{7}{\sqrt{34}}\right), is the angle between the vector and the xy plane. To find the angle between the vector and the x axis you could use the cosine rule but you should just use the dot product.

ReputationRep:
    The angle you found, \displaystyle \arctan \left( \frac{7}{\sqrt{34}}\right), is the angle between the vector and the xy plane. To find the angle between the vector and the x axis you could use the cosine rule but you should just use the dot product.
    I get it now, what I Previously said doesn't give the required angles that is needed. I looked at everything again and then realised this, so I edited my post. Yes I understand why you suggest using the dot product rather than basic trig. Looking at that angle makes it be difficult to define what really even is the opposite/adjacent/hypotenuse side. So it's better to just stick to the dot product and keep things simple. I guess a "fresh eye" helps a lot in Maths if you are stuck on something

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    X
    Name:  IMG_20130822_111528-1.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  132.2 KB

I'm stuck on the second part and was wondering during if you can help me out please.

Part a.
    AB=(4,-8)

Line 1
    r= (3,4) + lambda(4,-8)
    r=(3,4) + lambda(1,-2)

Part b.

Let the direction of line 2 be (x,y), so for line 2
    r=(14,7) + mu(x,y)

Since line 2 is perpendicular to line 1,

(1,-2).(x,y)=0

x-2y=0

I suspect that simultaneous equations are involved to get x and y, but I'm unsure how to get the second equation:confused:. I feel like I have a brain freeze.

Thank you
    • Study Helper

Name:  IMG_20130822_111528-1.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  132.2 KB

x-2y=0

I suspect that simultaneous equations are involved to get x and y, but I'm unsure how to get the second equation:confused:. I feel like I have a brain freeze.

Thank you
    You don't need simultaneous equations.

Recall that the direction vector of a line is only unique up to scalar multiples, i.e. (1,2), (2,4) specify the same direction.

So you have 2y=x.

And your direction vector (x,y) becomes (2y,y). Can you take it from there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    You don't need simultaneous equations.

Recall that the direction vector of a line is only unique up to scalar multiples, i.e. (1,2), (2,4) specify the same direction.

So you have 2y=x.

And your direction vector (x,y) becomes (2y,y). Can you take it from there?
    r=(14,7) + mu(2,1)

This is right according to the textbook answer of
    r=(14,7) + mu(8,4)

But where did the 8 and 4 one from? Surely that means that perhaps there's another method getting exactly these numbers?
    • Study Helper

r=(14,7) + mu(2,1)

This is right according to the textbook answer of
    r=(14,7) + mu(8,4)

But where did the 8 and 4 one from? Surely that means that perhaps there's another method getting exactly these numbers?
    If you recall if two lines are perpendicular then the product of their gradients is -1.

The gradient of a line with direction vector (4,-8) is -8/4, So the gradient of a prependicular lines is 4/8, which gives a direction vector of (8,4).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    If you recall if two lines are perpendicular then the product of their gradients is -1.

The gradient of a line with direction vector (4,-8) is -8/4, So the gradient of a prependicular lines is 4/8, which gives a direction vector of (8,4).
    Makes perfect sense

Thank you for helping me out

ReputationRep:
    thank you for the help

ReputationRep:
    can you explain it more clearly by drawing the square and point o in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    OD is just the vector from O to D. You can get there in a number of ways e.g. O to A then A to D; or O to B and then B to D; or O to C and then C to D.

Using the fact that ABCD is a square, you should be able to express vectors like AD, BD and CD in terms of a, b and c.
    i can't t understand it clearly can you draw the square and show it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.