Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I wish I went to a private school... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -aimz)
    Ha, I wish my private school was full of partying! I am, and always will be, very thankful for my parents for putting me through 7 years of private school as it has probably helped me reach where I am today. On the other hand, there was an internal hierarchy within school that has damaged me a lot mentally and emotionally and will affect me forever, and I worked myself into the ground constantly trying to live up to the high achieving standards set for us. By no means am I trying to act hard done by, but it's the truth!
    I'm sorry to hear about the mental and emotional impacts that private school had on you

I'm interested though when you mention "internal hierarchy"- could you explain that further? I went to a comprehensive, and I felt there was some form of hierarchy, though most likely not in the same format as in a private school. There would be only 10 students, maximum, that would study hard and adopt a positive attitude towards their studies; whilst the vast majority of students wouldn't care about their studies and make life very difficult for the staff and general school lifestyle.

This in turn, made a very imbalanced lifestyle. I feel this has also impacted on me mentally as well. Are hierarchies just part and parcel of any school then tbh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abzy1234)
    I'm sorry to hear about the mental and emotional impacts that private school had on you

I'm interested though when you mention "internal hierarchy"- could you explain that further? I went to a comprehensive, and I felt there was some form of hierarchy, though most likely not in the same format as in a private school. There would be only 10 students, maximum, that would study hard and adopt a positive attitude towards their studies; whilst the vast majority of students wouldn't care about their studies and make life very difficult for the staff and general school lifestyle.

This in turn, made a very imbalanced lifestyle. I feel this has also impacted on me mentally as well. Are hierarchies just part and parcel of any school then tbh?
    I probably should have mentioned that my school was all-girls, so it could be completely different to a mixed/all-boys private school! But I agree about there being a hierarchy in every school to some extent, and my school had a similar division to yours, by the sounds of it. It would be competitive on so many different levels: who had a boyfriend, who had better clothes, who got better grades, who was good at sports, who was more popular...there was a lot of hostility between people at different ends of the spectrum. Then you throw in the factor that a lot of people in private school are very privileged and have been all their lives (consequently making them very arrogant and snobbish) and have no tolerance for people different to themselves, and it creates a difficult atmosphere for those who don't fit into that.

I guess the competitive streak that seems to be strong in many private schools is because the pressure to achieve is so intense - we pay to go to school so we have to make the most of it! I think I've carried that attitude into my life even after school - I'm often very unnecessarily harsh on myself if I don't do things perfectly, whether it's an essay at uni or serving someone at work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -aimz)
    I probably should have mentioned that my school was all-girls, so it could be completely different to a mixed/all-boys private school! But I agree about there being a hierarchy in every school to some extent, and my school had a similar division to yours, by the sounds of it. It would be competitive on so many different levels: who had a boyfriend, who had better clothes, who got better grades, who was good at sports, who was more popular...there was a lot of hostility between people at different ends of the spectrum. Then you throw in the factor that a lot of people in private school are very privileged and have been all their lives (consequently making them very arrogant and snobbish) and have no tolerance for people different to themselves, and it creates a difficult atmosphere for those who don't fit into that.

I guess the competitive streak that seems to be strong in many private schools is because the pressure to achieve is so intense - we pay to go to school so we have to make the most of it! I think I've carried that attitude into my life even after school - I'm often very unnecessarily harsh on myself if I don't do things perfectly, whether it's an essay at uni or serving someone at work.

Yeah, I would imagine it to be quite similar to an all boys school as well tbh. I think what you've mentioned, as you've written, is all inherent in private schools due to the economic privilege creating high levels of competition and pressure to fit into the different systems.

You see, in comprehensives, I found there to be very little, if any, competition whatsoever for academia, sports, etc. It tended to be more aligned according to social popularity- which would inevitably cause a lot of alienation for many. I think that's why I'm less confident and competitive.

It's really interesting to see how different school environments can determine so much of our personalities right up to future life. Perhaps we just have to accept that, and at the end of the day, we do gain the opportunity of exploring different environments through university or work

ReputationRep:
    I really wanted to go to boarding school when I was younger (my school was part-boarding), but my parents couldn't afford it.

My Dad was sent to public school aged 8 though, and he absolutely hated it. Then again, they used to get caned in those days.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anyone who has boarded at a private school but err I've read Malory Towers and Harry Potter so from that I'd say it sounds pretty damn good...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HashimKF)
    This.

Not to be overly stereotypical but most people I have spoken to from private schools are so self absorbed and are ignorant to real issues in our world.
    Yes, it's such a shame when people are so judgemental and think they're better than others.

ReputationRep:
    I certainly wouldn't want my parents to send me to a private school as I think it's a waste of money and academically, I don't think any private school would have pushed me much higher.

ReputationRep:
    i sometimes wish i went to a private school so that would have been better prepared for the rahs in oxford. I went to a rough london state comp and oxford was a big shock for me and i hated it loads and dropped out at the end of my first year. If i went to a private school I feel I would have been better prepared for the posh environment, posh people thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pipsico)
    Yeah the grass is very green on the other side. You want your parents to pay thousands and thousands of pounds purely for you to enjoy a partying lifestyle?

I would have understood if you'd said you would have wanted the better education..
    On the flip side, private schools are rife with spoilt entitled rich kids and drug problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wouldn't say that... I go to a private school and maybe 6-7 kids in a year of 200 people are like that? Otherwise everyone's alright. I wouldn't say education is better in every private school though. I'd say the top state school/grammar school may well be better than loads of private schools. I have state school friends who are extremely smart, and could easily excel at mine.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the main (generalised) issue is that state schools focus on achieving C+% whilst private schools focus on A+% grades, which then means that there are a great number of students with potential that doesn't get tapped into in ordinary state schools because most attention goes to those E/D students...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natashaaarr)
    I think that the main (generalised) issue is that state schools focus on achieving C+% whilst private schools focus on A+% grades, which then means that there are a great number of students with potential that doesn't get tapped into in ordinary state schools because most attention goes to those E/D students...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you have a valid point. I went to a state school and the teachers didn't really give a **** about me and my class. They knew we'd get A's in the end so we got away with bunking further maths classes and physics. Every thursday afternoon I used to bunk further maths to go rock climbing and the school didn't do ****. I just kept saying: i went to a uni open day and they believed me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the-black-lotus)
    I don't know anyone who has boarded at a private school but err I've read Malory Towers and Harry Potter so from that I'd say it sounds pretty damn good...
    Yep, it's exactly like Harry Potter at the best private schools. We even played Quiddich. (Well, we did actually, albeit a version involving bikes and some fields.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Yep, it's exactly like Harry Potter at the best private schools. We even played Quiddich. (Well, we did actually, albeit a version involving bikes and some fields.)
    I concur.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I need to get saving for my kids then, wouldn't want them to miss out in the same ways I did.

(Original post by rock_climber86)
      i sometimes wish i went to a private school so that would have been better prepared for the rahs in oxford. I went to a rough london state comp and oxford was a big shock for me and i hated it loads and dropped out at the end of my first year. If i went to a private school I feel I would have been better prepared for the posh environment, posh people thing.
      You dropped out of Oxford?

Doubt it, from your grammar it seems that you never went.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)
      You dropped out of Oxford?

Doubt it, from your grammar it seems that you never went.
      you don't need good grammar for maths

ReputationRep:
      I do sometimes wish I had gone to private school. I know it sounds horrible, but, to be brutally honest, I SOMETIMES feel annoyed to live around poor people, despite being a poor person. (coming from a poor family)

ReputationRep:
      P
      (Original post by CurtisDean)
      So, as the title says, I wish I went to a private boarding school. However, it isn't because I think that I will get top grades if I do, it is simply because I really like the whole lifestyle!

I got to a new free-school in London, I am in sixth-form, and we are affiliated with 8 independent schools. Part of this affiliations, means that we get to visit the independent schools, and they get to visit us. Our teachers swap occasionally, we compete against them in sports, and etc. I originally thought this would be a great idea, however, now I think not so much.
      When we visited one of the schools, I spoke to some students that told me about their lifestyle: they go to parties all the time, they are close because they stay together quite a lot, they have more freedom to do what they want, and their life is very structured. I love this.
      There were three things about private/independent schools that made me fall in love:
      1) They have so much fun in their free time, they are away from parents, so they go to parties, got to festivals, and just enjoy their teen years together.
      2) Sport is such a big thing, which is what I LOVE! I love sports with a passion, and I am always keen to get involved. Especially rowing!
      3) You still get to visit home during holidays

As you can tell, I am more interested in the social aspect of things. I am not worried about the academic aspect, simply because I believe that if a person wants to do really well, they need to work hard to achieve it. Regardless of where they study.

There isn't really any point of this thread, it's just for me to kind of vent out my frustrations.
      It's because today, I went to a friends house to hang out, and there was this boy from Brighton college. He started telling us stories about how he has crazy parties there, and how he has the most awesome friends, and how he went to Berlin and had a crazy experience.
      I'm guessing your studying at the London Academy of Excellence right?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Oxford2013)
      I do sometimes wish I had gone to private school. I know it sounds horrible, but, to be brutally honest, I SOMETIMES feel annoyed to live around poor people, despite being a poor person. (coming from a poor family)
      so whats the story with ur gf? Do you still dislike the fact that she is going to london met and you are going to oxford? :rolleyes: Have u managed to pull that broom out if your arse yet?

ReputationRep:
      It would have been nice to go to a school where I wasn't called "posh boy" 24/7 despite coming from an average middle class family
      Seriously though, I think more structure and the better facilities would have helped me a lot and I doubt much could be more traumatic than my all-boys rough ex-Secondary modern high school :P

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.