Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why does the university system actively discriminate against Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudyingHelp)
    In terms of the first half of your paragraph fair enough, I wouldn't be best placed to judge if that's correct or not; I doubt it's even that black and white, however I'd just like to add there is a difference between wanting to be a part of something, and being ABLE, even when you talk about people for different ethnic background going to certain uni's, when you strip all of that social stuff away, the core essential is that you're able (In terms of education) to be a member of that UNI for a certain course.

I don't know too much about autism, and maybe my comment is unfair, I may not give enough credit to those with the condition (Not disrespect intended), but if i'm correct and that is the case, you'd want to look at people possibly making special course for people with the condition, and for that reason I understand why someone would argue they're better place in a college, because those are likely to be run by the state, UNI's are private and have no obligation to really do such things, unless subsidised.

And in terms of the social stuff, similar to the point I mad earlier, I think people have a right to do what they like when it doesn't harm a third party, however just like in wider society, if being different (Which you can almost think of as competition) in a way that also is harmful to a third party (The rest of society) means a person's life is hampered in someone I think you have to look at the ruling body, (Government in wider society, the people who run universities in this situations, and maybe people take it upon themselves to seek social change) to regulate this and make it so both social routes can be taken without one stopping the other from being able to achieve. But again there is probably little incentive to do this in uni, because I doubt many uni's accommodate to many autistic people, where are in a college/sixth form, if the government is at least regulating, teachers probably will.

To make it clear by regulating In this case, I mean social reforms, that encourage people to be more aware of the different social groups around them!

Wow this is a long ass reply; there may be mistakes!
    The thing with autism is that it's very complex and there are so many places people can be on the spectrum, I know quite a few people with autism and they're all completely different, the ones I know with more severe autism wouldn't be happy at university I think, and that's not discrimination, although I've only ever seen it from the position of a friend looking on. But then the people I think OP is talking about, I think he used the term "high functioning"? Many would be fine at university, because they're more able to interact with people although people just see them as a bit odd, so I see no reason why they should be actively excluded, and because it's fairly common a lot of universities do offer support for people with autism I think, I don't think there's a lack of support for them, just a lack of understanding from other people which might push them out of the social side of university in terms of making friends.

My point was that at least at my school, from where I was looking at it it seemed as though even people who were perfectly capable of going to university and would probably be happy there (after all, the crowd at university is much larger and more diverse than the crowd at secondary school so they'd be more likely to find people they get on with) weren't being encouraged to go there, those aspirations weren't there because there was a bit of an assumption that they'd be better off at college. And universities look at personal statements a lot, I wonder if someone with autism would come across badly on paper because of the way they use language and their intelligence would be masked by their way of saying things, a lot of people find the way autistic people speak weird. I don't think universities actively exclude autistic people, I don't think they make it a mission to keep them out, but I think that perhaps the way autistic people think and put themselves across might put them at a disadvantage with admissions people because they come across awkwardly in interviews and such like. I think that might have been the point OP was trying to make.

I'm kind of forgetting what the OP was actually saying now. :lol: Getting confused, it's past my bedtime. Also, I am definitely not saying that all autistic people are socially awkward, one of my best friends is autistic and she's far from socially awkward, but some people with autism were seen as very strange at awkward at school, that's all I meant. Also, I see your point that there should be regulation so that people are more aware of these things, I think there's a shocking lack of awareness in this country of what autism actually is and sometimes autistic people are left to the wolves a bit and are just ripped apart at school for being different, and we should be more accepting of different social groups. There's a lot of campaigning about the way people see mental health disorders such as depression and anorexia but I don't feel as though you get that as much with autism.

My post makes no sense. Even I don't know what I'm saying.

ReputationRep:
    academics in general want people to be unhappy.

ReputationRep:
    There was a couple of autistic people in my university accommodation block alone, so my university doesn't discriminate :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by universityisobso)
    How?

ReputationRep:
    the way they act encourages pessimism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peter12345)
    ******* this has nothing to do with selection criteria, my point is clearly that the university culture puts students under pressure to perform socially and ostracizes them if they don't
    University culture is not the same as university system.

ReputationRep:
    In answer to the thread title, because there is only so much glitter and warhammer figures a university can put up with having flung about the faculty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfie Moon)
    I don't have autism, but most universities only care about average people with great social skills.
    God, I'm going to be screwed then.

I don't think winning an argument means what you think it means.

you think you can just repeat the word substantiate again and again and people will start to think you're some kind of scientist. Are you a scientist? Or are you just wasting my time?
    You are not Inigo Montoya, please step away from the computer.

ReputationRep:
    What the **** do you mean by this? I know many academics (both personally and through uni) and none of them want people to be unhappy. My lecturers but in so much effort to make sure we understand the material so we can get the best marks we can. Yes, I've been upset by a couple of lecturers but in general they want the best for their students.

ReputationRep:
    they're all deviants and i don't trust them. the least they could do is let us monitor their private lives so we know they're not doing anything bad. if teaching is such a privilege this wouldn't be a problem for them.

ReputationRep:
    they're all deviants and i don't trust them.
    Oh and you see that 'quote' button to the bottom right of each post. USE IT so people know who you're talking to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Oh and you see that 'quote' button to the bottom right of each post. USE IT so people know who you're talking to.

good advice Steve

ReputationRep:
    good advice Steve
    STEVE?

ReputationRep:
    OP clearly isn't thinking straight, if not thinking at all.

ReputationRep:
    they're all deviants and i don't trust them. the least they could do is let us monitor their private lives so we know they're not doing anything bad. if teaching is such a privilege this wouldn't be a problem for them.
    Troll

ReputationRep:
    I don't think winning an argument means what you think it means.

you think you can just repeat the word substantiate again and again and people will start to think you're some kind of scientist. Are you a scientist? Or are you just wasting my time?
    You might as well just say 'elephants are neon pink in the wild!' over and over again using different words.

You're not actually offering any evidence to back up your claims.

ReputationRep:
    And you're not actually a lawyer

But why would you work in a discriminatory environment if you weren't a deviant?

And isn't university founded on the idea of exclusion? You call it exclusivity but it's the same ****ing thing.

ReputationRep:
    When did I say that I was?

ReputationRep:

But why would you work in a discriminatory environment if you weren't a deviant?

And isn't university founded on the idea of exclusion? You call it exclusivity but it's the same ****ing thing.
    1. You have not established that universities are discriminatory.

2. What do you mean by 'deviant'?

3. Universities are not founded on 'exclusion' or 'exclusivity' - they're groups of academics and scholars coming together to teach and learn. There's nothing inherently exclusive about them.

ReputationRep:
    Except that anyone who isn't a quote academic gets discriminated against. As if reading was the only form of intelligent pursuit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.