Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do cyclists have to follow the speed limit? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
    :lol:
    Ipayroadtax.com
    Implying that website isn't just their to make try-hard elitist cyclists feel better...

I've said everything that's needed to be said for 'devils advocates' sake on this matter now, and in fear of hijacking the thread, to OP's question, nothing says you can't go that speed, but you 'have to be in full control' all the time, which I doubt you would be at 50 mph on a push bike...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDV10)
    Implying that website isn't just their to make try-hard elitist cyclists feel better...

I've said everything that's needed to be said for 'devils advocates' sake on this matter now, and in fear of hijacking the thread, to OP's question, nothing says you can't go that speed, but you 'have to be in full control' all the time, which I doubt you would be at 50 mph on a push bike...

The website is there to educate people and help them realise that this 'no pay, no say' attitude is nonsense. Although you seem to have an obvious chip on your shoulder by referring to them as 'try-hard elitist cyclists'. People, such as myself, cycle for exercise and for transportation. I don't see how cycling for exercise or sport is any different to any other method such as running, rowing, racket sports etc.

I absolutely and wholeheartedly agree with complying to the speed limit. One has to be cycle with respect if they are to be respected on the road. If I am in doubt, I slow down. People who cycle on the pavement at speed (which contravens the highway code) and through areas with high pedestrian traffic endanger not only themselves but other people as well; and they give cyclists a bad name.

ReputationRep:
    I like how people get wound up by cyclists 'speeding' or 'riding on the pavement' they're like "OMG, 10 people a year die because of that, BAN CYCLING"

Whereas as tens of thousands of people get killed or injured by speeding motorists and they're like "OMG those speed cameras are there just so they make money, being 20mph over the limit is nothing"

ReputationRep:
    50mph? Utter *******s mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    I like how people get wound up by cyclists 'speeding' or 'riding on the pavement' they're like "OMG, 10 people a year die because of that, BAN CYCLING"

Whereas as tens of thousands of people get killed or injured by speeding motorists and they're like "OMG those speed cameras are there just so they make money, being 20mph over the limit is nothing"
    It's because these people don't know how much energy increases with every mph. They aren't aware that KE = 0.5mv^2

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adi19956)
    It's because these people don't know how much energy increases with every mph. They aren't aware that KE = 0.5mv^2

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    Which realistically should mean Range Rovers, CRV's, other various pointless 4wd fashion statements should have to go slower, e.g. 20 in a 30 zone...

But it'll never happen....

I hate the UK :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDV10)
    Which realistically should mean Range Rovers, CRV's, other various pointless 4wd fashion statements should have to go slower, e.g. 20 in a 30 zone...

And quite who are you to decide the merit of what other folks spend their own money on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDV10)

Well HGVs are limited like you say. And everyone complains about this when driving on the motorway. No offence to your opinion, but this would just annoy a lot of people further. Cars towing trailers and caravans are also limited because they're more of a hazard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    And quite who are you to decide the merit of what other folks spend their own money on?
    I'm Batman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JumpingFrog)
    Well HGVs are limited like you say. And everyone complains about this when driving on the motorway. No offence to your opinion, but this would just annoy a lot of people further. Cars towing trailers and caravans are also limited because they're more of a hazard.
    I personally don't think they should, I just think that it's odd that there isn't a law by now, as I think something like 70% of fatal RTA's with pedestrians is with large 4x4's.

There was an article about it in the guardian a few weeks ago, I'll try and dig it up...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peter12345)
    Most roads are not in parks. That is a minor unimportant technicality. Furthermore only major parks are monitored for speeders. I've done 33mph in my local park that has a 12 mph limit, in fact in 7 years I've never done less than 20 mph through that park and no-one has ever stopped me.

Well you can call me a "lycra clad ********" but you can't do much else except stay mad

Because it meets criteria 1) it's a motor vehicle. That's the main reason, the no speedo thing is just a side reason. A bicycle can't go much above 20 mph whereas a motorized tractor can. it is not reasonable to expect a cyclist to be able to tell the difference between 20 and 30 mph but a tractor can do like 60 + mph so it's relevant in that case.
    I'm not arguing that bikes are subject to speed limits, just that the lack of a speedo is a dumb argument!

I'd also love to see these 60mph tractors - a very small number will do mid 40s, almost all won't do more than 27.5mph and a lot won't even top 20mph!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    I'm not arguing that bikes are subject to speed limits, just that the lack of a speedo is a dumb argument!

I'd also love to see these 60mph tractors - a very small number will do mid 40s, almost all won't do more than 27.5mph and a lot won't even top 20mph!
    http://youtu.be/9yHl24QynOM?t=42s

ReputationRep:
    Fair shout, but not exactly road legal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Traffic laws apply to everyone using the road.

It's great watching cyclists who skip through red lights in London getting pulled over by the fuzz and given fixed penalty notices.
    I agree with the red light comment, but your wrong about the speed. Cyclists are not bound by speed limits. It is rather complex.

ReputationRep:
    It is too simplistic a view to say if one road traffic restriction applies to cyclists, all of them must. The different restrictions regarding use of the road are defined by different laws and so are all different regarding different road users.

Speed limits are defined in Part VI of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, and all references in that part are purely about motor vehicles- which is clearly doesn't include a bicycle.

On the other hand, what vehicles must do at red lights is defined in Regulation 36 of the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 and talks about vehicular traffic, which does include bikes.

Hope I've cleared things up a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDV10)
    I personally don't think they should, I just think that it's odd that there isn't a law by now, as I think something like 70% of fatal RTA's with pedestrians is with large 4x4's.

There was an article about it in the guardian a few weeks ago, I'll try and dig it up...
    The Emergency Services no longer refer to anything as an RTA. It's an RTC (where there has been contact) or an RTI (an 'incident' where there hasn't been contact).

As there is always blame that can be attached, it is not an 'accident', it is a 'collision' or 'incident'.

ReputationRep:
    if it would apply to motorbikes then why not pedal bikes?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if cyclists have to obey the same speed limits as cars (seems largely an academic one), though if speed cameras are the enforcement method and there are no bike number plates, how do you identify the offending cyclist? Speed cameras photograph from behind. You might be able to identify Beyonce or Pippa Middleton's bum, but they are not likely to be out cycling.

ReputationRep:
    Ofcourse they do, then again most of them wont be able to get to 30 mph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    if it would apply to motorbikes then why not pedal bikes?
    Because motorbikes are motor vehicles and bicycles aren't, as previously explained.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.