Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin)
    Let the fun and games begin then!

Bit of a baptism of fire for me as party leader; I'd better get working
    Tell me about it - at least you had some forewarning, unlike me! I logged in today to find that not only had I surprisingly got the Labour Leadership, but had a flaming election to contest
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Tell me about it - at least you had some forewarning, unlike me! I logged in today to find that not only had I surprisingly got the Labour Leadership, but had a flaming election to contest
    Use up your holiday time now, take the week off and pretend you never saw it,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Use up your holiday time now, take the week off and pretend you never saw it,
    You wish you were that lucky Although as our longest serving Prime Minister, you must be due a break from that role!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, slight surprise. Good luck to all those submitting manifestos.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    How come all the interesting stuff happens when I'm not really around? :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    This election has been called far too early, but that is the PM's prerogative. I hope that voters will vote according to contribution, and not based on party's real life name associations. Alas, this won't happen and I'm regretful that the name changing amendment wasn't resubmitted in time for this.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheese_Monster)
    This election has been called far too early, but that is the PM's prerogative. I hope that voters will vote according to contribution, and not based on party's real life name associations. Alas, this won't happen and I'm regretful that the name changing amendment wasn't resubmitted in time for this.
    Put your money where your mouth is and change your own party name but the Conservative Party will remain the Conservative Party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Put your money where your mouth is and change your own party name but the Conservative Party will remain the Conservative Party.
    No because your party is the problem, as it has exemplified this term by being utter trollop and receiving a disproportionate vote share.

ReputationRep:
    Ten Canadian Dollars on Labour getting the most seats.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully seat shares will fairly reflect the activity and contributions of TSR parties alone. If parties that share RL names unfairly benefit or suffer from RL biases in the vote here, as has happened before, legislation to counter this or to enforce renaming should be prioritised and enacted as soon as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    Hopefully seat shares will fairly reflect the activity and contributions of TSR parties alone. If parties that share RL names unfairly benefit or suffer from RL biases in the vote here, as has happened before, legislation to counter this or to enforce renaming should be prioritised and enacted as soon as possible.
    I could swear you opposed this last term? I'm probably getting confused!

ReputationRep:
    Have elections in the past tended to show similar patterns to RL polls for voting intention? If there is a link, I'd expect to see a boost for UKIP in this election, maybe the Conservatives too.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    I could swear you opposed this last term? I'm probably getting confused!
    My support for the idea has increased over time as RL biases have continued to affect TSR elections and reduce the fairness of how seats are allocated. Activity and contributions here are often overlooked, especially by floating voters who don't have any concept that TSR parties are seperate entities.

Renaming the Liberals has been beneficial at winning back votes and support unfairly lost because we were associated with the RL Lib Dems, and could be beneficial to other parties if they choose to do so as well.

I used to oppose the idea, but the continued unfairness of RL biases has made me reconsider. It all boils down to fairness really, and ensuring TSR elections are more meritocratic - however we achieve this, it has to be worth considering.

ReputationRep:
    My support for the idea has increased over time as RL biases have continued to affect TSR elections and reduce the fairness of how seats are allocated. Activity and contributions here are often overlooked, especially by floating voters who don't have any concept that TSR parties are seperate entities.

Renaming the Liberals has been beneficial at winning back votes and support unfairly lost because we were associated with the RL Lib Dems, and could be beneficial to other parties if they choose to do so as well.

I used to oppose the idea, but the continued unfairness of RL biases has made me reconsider. It all boils down to fairness really, and ensuring TSR elections are more meritocratic - however we achieve this, it has to be worth considering.
    It's not unfair at all.

We have these names and are members of these parties mainly because we support them in real life.

When you changed your name you effectively relinquished your support for the RL Lib Dems in my eyes, and if you're happy with that then good for you.

But, I don't think that most of us in Labour, the Greens or the Conservatives would be very happy about that as we support our real counterpart parties.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

But to be fair, barring those who frequent the forum, I don't think that many voters actually focus on the activities and contributions of parties in this forum so the idea that by renaming the parties we suddenly get the voters looking at these aspects seems rather ludicrous really. I also find the fact, with respect, that you're a Liberal yet want to dictate how each party should be named rather ironic to say the least.

Surely by your argument, the best system would be to eliminate elections altogether and just reallocate seats every six months based on the amount of submissions each party has made?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    But to be fair, barring those who frequent the forum, I don't think that many voters actually focus on the activities and contributions of parties in this forum so the idea that by renaming the parties we suddenly get the voters looking at these aspects seems rather ludicrous really. I also find the fact, with respect, that you're a Liberal yet want to dictate how each party should be named rather ironic to say the least.

Surely by your argument, the best system would be to eliminate elections altogether and just reallocate seats every six months based on the amount of submissions each party has made?
    Why is that a ludicrous suggestion?

I'm rather disdainful to TSR MHoC General Elections, simply because they cater to an electorate who appear for a single vote based on RL affiliations and then disappear into the abyss.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheese_Monster)
    Why is that a ludicrous suggestion?

I'm rather disdainful to TSR MHoC General Elections, simply because they cater to an electorate who appear for a single vote based on RL affiliations and then disappear into the abyss.
    The argument is ludicrous - it's as if Birchington is suggesting that renaming all the parties will mean that people will start to focus on activity and contribution as reasons for voting for various parties. I don't think it will and I think that the argument is little more than a pipe dream and unrealistic. The system has been fine in past when other parties were doing well, but now that they're not it seems that they are becoming a vocal minority in calling for this change. (Note here that I'm not referring to yourself, JPKC and others whom I'm sure have honourable intentions in wanting to change the system, but I am sceptical of some people calling for change because I think that it is little more than a ploy to increase their seat share).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I can fully understand why people are opposed to reform. At some point though, we have to end the situation where TSR parties can be handed a high vote share from RL supporters yet cannot fill all of their seats or have dire activity levels. I don't believe it's very fair.

I'm certainly not going to force this change on people, I'm just raising the merits of reform in an open debate.

ReputationRep:
    I can fully understand why people are opposed to reform. At some point though, we have to end the situation where TSR parties can be handed a high vote share from RL supporters yet cannot fill all of their seats or have dire activity levels. I don't believe it's very fair.

I'm certainly not going to force this change on people, I'm just raising the merits of reform in an open debate.
    What about it is unfair exactly?

We chose to be affiliated with a RL party, if Labour's RL support suddenly entirely went down the pan I wouldn't be advocating changing our party's name. You have chosen not to be affiliated with a RL party; your choice.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StatusRed)
    We chose to be affiliated with a RL party, if Labour's RL support suddenly entirely went down the pan I wouldn't be advocating changing our party's name. You have chosen not to be affiliated with a RL party; your choice.
    Fair enough.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.