The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ethery
Okay, so here's a lame attempt to start a conversation for our first year 13 board:

what exam result of those you received on Thursday are you proudest of? Whether it be a single paper or an overall grade. :smile:

90/100 in Edexcel History unit 2! I am extremely proud because I got a C in January (64/100) and a change to my strategy which made me do less work but more effective work has awarded me a high A and therefore an A overall in history!
Original post by Robbie242
Add these details Usy please :colone:

What course: Mathematics BSC or Mmath (in general maths)
AS subjects: Maths - A (96%) Further Maths - A (~88%) History - A (85%) Economics - A (81%)
A2 subjects: Maths - A* Further Maths - A*/A Economics - A (predicted)
University choices: Cambridge, Warwick, Bristol, Durham, Bath for now

Cool, 2 of my possible unis :h:
Original post by ethery
Okay, so here's a lame attempt to start a conversation for our first year 13 board:

what exam result of those you received on Thursday are you proudest of? Whether it be a single paper or an overall grade. :smile:

:erm:

I wasn't proud of any per se... But I guess C4 was a nice surprise; 93 UMS.

You?
Original post by keromedic
I'm proudest of 117/120 in my AS music performance.

Wow! That is impressive. Especially considering you can't really study in the same way for music (and all arts subjects, really) as you can for, say, sciences. You've got to have some sort of natural ability.
I could never do music a-level. :tongue:
Congratulations, anyway! :biggrin:
Reply 44
Cool, 2 of my possible unis :h:

Ooh which 2 ? :colone: I can only recall us having Cambridge in common before
Original post by ethery

My RS philosophy and ethics papers - I thought I'd failed because I'd missed out so much vital information, but I got 97 ums in philosophy and 92 ums in ethics (out of 100) :biggrin: I was sooooo happy!
Ooh which 2 ? :colone: I can only recall us having Cambridge in common before

Cambridge and Bristol.
Although I've not visited Bristol, it seems good on paper.
Original post by ethery
Wow! That is impressive. Especially considering you can't really study in the same way for music (and all arts subjects, really) as you can for, say, sciences. You've got to have some sort of natural ability.
I could never do music a-level. :tongue:
Congratulations, anyway! :biggrin:

Not really, AS music performance is pretty simple. A2 is what's scaring me. I have to give a 10-15 recital infront of an audience and examiner :frown:
90/100 in Edexcel History unit 2! I am extremely proud because I got a C in January (64/100) and a change to my strategy which made me do less work but more effective work has awarded me a high A and therefore an A overall in history!

Yeah, I remember you getting your January results. That is quite the improvement! Congrats :clap2:

I think that's the problem a lot of people at my school have, they haven't figured out what's the most effective way for them to revise. :frown:

Original post by L'Evil Fish
:erm:

I wasn't proud of any per se... But I guess C4 was a nice surprise; 93 UMS.

You?

I'm dreading C3 and C4. :tongue: Why was it a surprise? Did you think you hadn't done so well?

I'm most proud of my 96 in S1. I know it doesn't compare to others' maths UMS on here, but... I really REALLY hated stats. :redface:
Original post by ethery
I'm dreading C3 and C4. :tongue: Why was it a surprise? Did you think you hadn't done so well?

I'm most proud of my 96 in S1. I know it doesn't compare to others' maths UMS on here, but... I really REALLY hated stats. :redface:

The paper was really hard... :erm: and then there was C3, thought I had the A* in the bag with that exam... My lowest exam :rofl:

:five: I got 95 in S1:woo:
Reply 50
Cambridge and Bristol.
Although I've not visited Bristol, it seems good on paper.

Ah great!
Yeah it does - the prospectus makes it look very promising for maths, plus is a bonus that it doesn't require STEP, easily an insurance if Cambridge reject me - though Durham is the same, will have to see which one I enjoy more.
I'll visit Bristol, Durham and Nottingham in September - I reckon I'll cancel my Exeter one because it doesn't feel right for me anymore.
It's a shame the Bath open day is the same day as the Bristol open day - Bath will be a lucky dip choice but I've heard good things about it and will make sure to visit before insuring it or anything!
Original post by WannaGetAnA
My RS philosophy and ethics papers - I thought I'd failed because I'd missed out so much vital information, but I got 97 ums in philosophy and 92 ums in ethics (out of 100) :biggrin: I was sooooo happy!

I really miss philosophy and ethics. I loved it at GCSE. Do you enjoy the a-level?
That's very impressive! You deserve to be proud! :biggrin:

Not really, AS music performance is pretty simple. A2 is what's scaring me. I have to give a 10-15 recital infront of an audience and examiner :frown:

Well, you know better than I do, but it's still pretty good in my opinion ;D
That sounds horrendous. What do you play?
Original post by ethery
I really miss philosophy and ethics. I loved it at GCSE. Do you enjoy the a-level?

Well, you know better than I do, but it's still pretty good in my opinion ;D
That sounds horrendous. What do you play?

I play the piano. I'm not that good, only started learning a few yrs ago.
There's another pianist on here who's a lot better than me at piano (an Alevels) whose TSR name is Felix Felicitis :smile:.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
The paper was really hard... :erm: and then there was C3, thought I had the A* in the bag with that exam... My lowest exam :rofl:

:five: I got 95 in S1:woo:

Ohh, I see. A friend of mine just missed her A* too, but she did better in C3. Well, when I do C3 and fail spectacularly, hopefully that'll make you feel better! :tongue:

Yay for S1! :biggrin:
Ah great!
Yeah it does - the prospectus makes it look very promising for maths, plus is a bonus that it doesn't require STEP, easily an insurance if Cambridge reject me - though Durham is the same, will have to see which one I enjoy more.
I'll visit Bristol, Durham and Nottingham in September - I reckon I'll cancel my Exeter one because it doesn't feel right for me anymore.
It's a shame the Bath open day is the same day as the Bristol open day - Bath will be a lucky dip choice but I've heard good things about it and will make sure to visit before insuring it or anything!

Cool. Are you loathe to reapply if you don't get an offer at your preferred unis?
Reply 55
Original post by ethery
Yeah, I remember you getting your January results. That is quite the improvement! Congrats :clap2:

I think that's the problem a lot of people at my school have, they haven't figured out what's the most effective way for them to revise. :frown:

Yeah - actually a funny story here.
I took my schools advice for history in January for my paper - I got a C, I took a random TSR students advice for June and got 90ums :lol:. My school continues to get a mass amount of C's and below because it doesn't know what the examiner wants I went with my schools advice for unit 1 and got 80ums which is good enough.

Nice one on S1! I got 79 on S1, my 2nd worst result xD it was expected though I left quite a bit of the paper blank and I ran out of time :cry: considering how time consuming the paper was congrats on 96 I am sure it is well deserved. Join the club S1 sucks
Reply 56
Cool. Are you loathe to reapply if you don't get an offer at your preferred unis?

Nope, Warwick give all their maths applicants with AAB+ predictions an offer, so Warwick is totally in the bag - and I love Warwick so I won't reapply. Will be a bit sad if I get rejected from Cambridge but oh well!
Original post by ethery

Haha thank you!:biggrin: yeah, I love it, it's so interesting:smile: what subjects are you taking?
Original post by ethery
Ohh, I see. A friend of mine just missed her A* too, but she did better in C3. Well, when I do C3 and fail spectacularly, hopefully that'll make you feel better! :tongue:

Yay for S1! :biggrin:

:lol: :nah: we'll sit that together :woo:

:biggrin:
Reply 59
*Cliche alert* IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN :eek:

Original post by usycool1
University choices! :afraid:

If you're thinking about applying to university and want your choices in the list below, quote this post and I'll add them in for you! :biggrin:

Information you may wish to add:

What course you're going to apply for.

Your AS subjects (and grades if you like).

Your A2 subjects (and predicted/actual grades if you want to).

What universities you're thinking of applying to and their decisions (when it comes to that).

University courses

If you'd like to make any changes, just quote me. :h:

Geography

AS subjects: Geography (A), English literature (A), psychology (A), Japanese (B)

A2 subjects: Geography, English literature, Japanese (and EPQ)

Universities + Decisions: Cambridge (hahahaha... :confused:), Exeter, Leeds... others still in the balance. :colondollar:

Latest