Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Food "poverty" is caused by stupidity, not poverty Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    What else did she complain about?! That's basically the gist of the article - couldn't afford to feed her child and had to sell off her possessions.
    Exactly! Despite finding the cheapest possible ways of feeding herself and her child, she still hovered on the breadline because of bills, rent and such.

This woman isn't stupid. This thread is flawed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    The woman in the article is so annoying. If you can't afford to give your kid bread and jam, ****ing hell, then sell the TV!

Why have a TV, and therefore includes the expensive TV licence, if you can't afford to feed your child? What a bad mother.

The guitar should go as well.

She needs to learn to go and shop for Sainsbury's basics or Tesco value or whatever.
    Why don't you quickly google her or, even better, look at her blog? She sold everything, she had cold showers, she stopped using heaters. She buys dried ingredients, basics range food and lots of reduced items too. I don't know what more you expect her to do, she had her son when she had a stable well paid job, she's now jobless and trying her best. I don't think you're qualified to call her a 'bad mother'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisistheend)
    Gosh, you sound as insipid as a glass of lukewarm water
    Evidently we haven't met.. :laugh:

Can you not make up your mind and take a stand when people are "too poor" for a 30p meal that they're just being ridiculous?
    My mind is made up. However being ridiculous, or ignorant/disinterested as I put it, is not the same, or as incendiary, as labeling people stupid, and castigating a young mum for quitting her job to take care of her kid or her grammar school because she was victimised, is demonstrative of a lack of perspective/compassion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felixb)
    you can be as smart as you like but if life gives you **** there's not a lot you can do. Architects and lawyers can get made redundant, businesses can fail and breadwinners can die. Not everything in life is as a direct consequence of the choices you make, sadly.
    The rest are though. Architects and lawyers may get made redundant, but due to their choice made long ago to become employable professionals, they can get a job no problem.

This woman, when faced with circumstances not to her advantage, chose to make her situation worse. Now that's a direct consequence of her actions, resigning and making herself a pauper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alice:))
    Why don't you quickly google her or, even better, look at her blog? She sold everything, she had cold showers, she stopped using heaters. She buys dried ingredients, basics range food and lots of reduced items too. I don't know what more you expect her to do, she had her son when she had a stable well paid job, she's now jobless and trying her best. I don't think you're qualified to call her a 'bad mother'
    You're absolutely right.

ReputationRep:
    The rest are though. Architects and lawyers may get made redundant, but due to their choice made long ago to become employable professionals, they can get a job no problem.

This woman, when faced with circumstances not to her advantage, chose to make her situation worse. Now that's a direct consequence of her actions, resigning and making herself a pauper.
    I know many people who are/have highly qualified professional parents who are struggling to find work.

She was working nights, with a young child. If she had gone to work, leaving the child alone at night, she would have been breaking the law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Or, alternatively - stop whining and get a job?

There are plenty of jobs out there - 371 within 2 miles of my postcode are listed on JobSearch alone https://www.gov.uk/jobsearch
    If only it were that simple...

ReputationRep:
    tl;dr - OP takes isolated example which, poorly chosen, fails to demonstrate a flawed hypothesis based on OP's own unwillingness to accept that bad things happen in the world and that it's the role of civilised society to support the victims.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is a travesty. Why the hatred for these people, please? I'm genuinely curious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moosferatu)
    This thread is a travesty. Why the hatred for these people, please? I'm genuinely curious.
    I tried! There were too many!

ReputationRep:
    The brainchild of aspiringlawstudent and imsoacademic is a terrifying thought, it will be so right wing the conservatives are a dot in the horizon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felixb)
    I tried! There were too many!
    I meant the ultra-right wing crazy hate-filled people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moosferatu)
    I meant the ultra-right wing crazy hate-filled people?
    I know, I tried to convert them.

Well maybe not, I just like a good conflict.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jam')
    (though it surprises me - if someone isn't willing to invest in some relatively smart clothes probably isn't too keen on finding a job anyway).
    :erm: With what money if they're just getting £56 to spend on the bare necessities? Suits are more expensive than that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Or, alternatively - stop whining and get a job?

There are plenty of jobs out there - 371 within 2 miles of my postcode are listed on JobSearch alone https://www.gov.uk/jobsearch
    Sounds plausible right enough.

371 in 2 miles....yup.

ReputationRep:
    Then maybe she should have considered giving it up for adoption to give it a better life.
    So single mothers should work or give up the child?

(Original post by Alice:))
      And she still can't afford to feed her child?

Something is not right. I bet her rent is far too expensive and needs to move where she lives.

Come back to me when she moves to a low-rent area.

ReputationRep:
      Jesus Christ I can't believe I just had to endure this absolute tripe the OP and his absolute ignoramus buddy have written. Let me guess, fresh out of school, living with your middle class parents, out in the country? Please do not reproduce, you hateful, nasty and totally mis-informed little boys. There's a big world out there, can't wait for you both to meet it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      Wow, I can't tell if some people here are trolls or who really think its ok to force people to eat from bin.

Wow this forum really does make me sick at times.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by That Bearded Man)
      Sounds plausible right enough.

371 in 2 miles....yup.
      London?

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2013
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.