Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by de_monies)
    Tbf, Im probably going to do this as well, but still I am against the proposals. I don't think it encourages kids to learn at all. I think what Gove is trying to do is to appeal to his voters

Typically, your average Tory voter is a 9 - 5 worker. Why not make your kids education fit around your job....
    Same here. It's waaay too much for kids. I used to find 9 - 3 too long and I dreaded the extra half an hour every Mondays lol. From what age do these proposals apply to though? Surely it can't be from year 1 or something..

ReputationRep:
    What if the schooldays were the same as now expect shifted back a couple of hours? 10/11:00 AM to 5 PM.

ReputationRep:
    i go from 8:30 to 4:00 atm and it isn't that bad, i'm in year 13 btw.

ReputationRep:
    For pupils in primary schools, I would be against this because they are little. But I think that students who are in higher classes should start school from 8 am and finish at 4 pm.

In general, school students in the UK get much more comfort that we had. We had lessons from 8 am to approximately 3-4 pm 5 days a week. Of course, our lessons would last only 45 minutes each but we would have minimum 6 lessons a day and maximum of 8 lessons. We would get less holidays than you get here in the UK and we get homework everyday for at least 2-3 subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nic-nac)
    oh no, poor kiddies at school until 5 !!! it'll bring them into the real world and prepare them more for a proper working week/uni. People got a shock on my course when they were used to finishing at 3.30 and now we have a 8pm finish most Tuesdays and at least one 6pm finish a week. I think it should only apply to high school/6th form though.
    So let them enjoy it while they still can? And cope with the transition into 'real life' working hours they way the rest of us have done?

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electra<3)
    Better not be true, I know I have trouble concentrating 8:55-3:30 as it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    really? our standard day is 8:20-4:20!

ReputationRep:
    Michael Gove is a massive ******* who thinks the goal of education is to exclude rather than include.

If I had to stay in school until 5pm I'd sure as **** fail my A levels. I lose interest around lunchtime, and I learn far better when I'm studying myself at home.

I don't know how he can keep pulling all this stuff from his ass. All of his reforms have been opposed by all of the people that actually know what they're talking about, and yet they go ahead anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A100whoo)
    So let them enjoy it while they still can? And cope with the transition into 'real life' working hours they way the rest of us have done?

:rolleyes:
    Surely it would be a better transition if they finished at 3pm at primary school then perhaps 4pm at high school then 5pm at 6th form?? Even then jumping to finishing at 8 would be a bit of a move because uni is just so much different to school/college, let alone the time changes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Michael Gove is a massive ******* who thinks the goal of education is to exclude rather than include.

If I had to stay in school until 5pm I'd sure as **** fail my A levels. I lose interest around lunchtime, and I learn far better when I'm studying myself at home.

I don't know how he can keep pulling all this stuff from his ass. All of his reforms have been opposed by all of the people that actually know what they're talking about, and yet they go ahead anyway.
    I completely agree. I learn way better when I'm at home revising by myself. It's harder to concentrate in a class of about 20 to 30 students when the teacher is explaining the topic in a way that confuses you.

ReputationRep:
    What? Is this actually true?

ReputationRep:
    Surely it would be a better transition if they finished at 3pm at primary school then perhaps 4pm at high school then 5pm at 6th form?? Even then jumping to finishing at 8 would be a bit of a move because uni is just so much different to school/college, let alone the time changes.
    Fair enough the first idea doesnt sound too bad. I think its an exaggeration that they'll be finishing uni at 8 every day??!?! I'm a medical student and I've never finished later than 5.

ReputationRep:
    dunno bout you but id rather stay in school longer and do my homework in school

good idea

prepares kids for the real world

Pepper your anguns kids

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A100whoo)
    Fair enough the first idea doesnt sound too bad. I think its an exaggeration that they'll be finishing uni at 8 every day??!?! I'm a medical student and I've never finished later than 5.
    I didn't say we finish at 8 every day. Its usually 8 on Tuesdays then 6 on two other days.

ReputationRep:
    Its a sound idea but the problem is for parents who have children in different departments, potentially you would have tinies having to sit in the car and wait for an hour for older siblings, or in the case of a friend of mine their 6 year old sister would have to wait for two hours, so its not ideal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LolaLowe)
    Its a sound idea but the problem is for parents who have children in different departments, potentially you would have tinies having to sit in the car and wait for an hour for older siblings, or in the case of a friend of mine their 6 year old sister would have to wait for two hours, so its not ideal.
    It already happens. I finished primary school a 3, middle and high school at 3.30, and 6th form was 4pm.

ReputationRep:
    Now ive finished school with no possible chance of going back...

DO IT DO IT DO IT!

ReputationRep:
    When I changed schools in year 9, the new school I went to had a 8.15-5pm day. It was tiring as hell and the extra 2 hours were used for "extra-circulars" like P.E. and home ec. Eventually they edited the day so that it was 8.15-4.15 and the extra hour and a quarter's usage was dependent upon the student (essentially, the higher you achieved the less time you had to stay after school) and were used for extra Maths, English and other subjects and there were definite (albeit minor) improvements in mock scores across KS4 in the long run.

But, that being said, during the 3-5 hour period the teachers were understandably rather irritable and exhausted and the majority of the students were too, as well as being uncooperative (can't say I wasn't any of those things for some of the time )

I don't see what's wrong with the ordinary 8.30/9-3pm day. The primary purpose of school is to prepare you academically, not for the hours of eventual working life.

ReputationRep:
    I can't help but feel that this is more about catering to working parents than benefiting pupils.

If teachers already work on average 2 extra hours per evening on planning/marking etc then they would be working until at least 7 before they could do anything else. Seems unsustainable to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.