Turn on thread page Beta

What really happens after you die? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    The point is we shouldn't expect either outcome. We have concrete evidence of what happens to a persons brain when they suffer brain damage, but not what happens to the mind. Expecting either outcome over the other when there is no evidence to suggest any particular outcome is fruitless.
    We do have evidence of what happens to a persons mind when they suffer brain damage, we can test their memory for instance or their ability to recognise people or pretty much anything else you can name.

ReputationRep:
    Another door opens. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by incipientT)
    We do have evidence of what happens to a persons mind when they suffer brain damage, we can test their memory for instance or their ability to recognise people or pretty much anything else you can name.
    That's where it gets a bit complicated in my opinion. We can test brain activity in an MRI scanner and pick up signals to detect how active certain parts of the brain are, and we know what each cortex of the brain is responsible for, but do we know that a total lack of brain activity corresponds to a lack of self awareness?

Peer reviewed research suggests that although plants do not have a brain nor a central nervous system, and therefore the methods we use to detect brain activity would show nothing, they are actually self aware.

ReputationRep:
    Snoop dog invites you to his inner palace, and you drink gold and eat marshmallows for the rest of eternity, really sick ****.

ReputationRep:
    The most intelligent answer is probably, "I don't know". However, the funny thing about death is you're never their to experience it, because the moment it comes, you cease to exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MouldingMercury)
    The most intelligent answer is probably, "I don't know". However, the funny thing about death is you're never their to experience it, because the moment it comes, you cease to exist.
    Well you haven't met this guy who died three times*

"Pronounced DEAD by the medic; then later changed it to "Clinically Dead".

ReputationRep:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7d16CpWp-ok hopefully

ReputationRep:
    That's where it gets a bit complicated in my opinion. We can test brain activity in an MRI scanner and pick up signals to detect how active certain parts of the brain are, and we know what each cortex of the brain is responsible for, but do we know that a total lack of brain activity corresponds to a lack of self awareness?

Peer reviewed research suggests that although plants do not have a brain nor a central nervous system, and therefore the methods we use to detect brain activity would show nothing, they are actually self aware.
    I'm not talking about measuring brain activity though. I'm talking about seeing that people who have a particular kind of brain damage lose certain abilities, for instance memory.

I've seen research suggesting that plants can do lots of things, I haven't seen any suggesting consciousness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedArrow)
    Well you haven't met this guy who died three times*

"Pronounced DEAD by the medic; then later changed it to "Clinically Dead".

DEAD, means you don't come back, DEAD is irreversible. What you're talking about is a near-death experience (maybe a sort of coma, where he was so close to death it could be mistaken for death). Probably a good idea to ask the guy if you know him, but he's probably some make believe character from your trolling cabinet huh?

ReputationRep:
    No, no, no, please don't make these threads. They make me actually think about whether or not spending all my time procrastinating on TSR is a good idea. *shudder*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by incipientT)
    I'm not talking about measuring brain activity though. I'm talking about seeing that people who have a particular kind of brain damage lose certain abilities, for instance memory.

I've seen research suggesting that plants can do lots of things, I haven't seen any suggesting consciousness.
    I remember reading it a short while back. I don't know where I would find it again but it was a paper from UC Davis in california if you want to look it up.

ReputationRep:

This is also what I've understood, in fact, if you film a growing plant, and accelerate the footage you'll notice it displays behavior that (in its own time frame) would be called intelligent/aware by an observing human.
    Also, there is an experiment where plants were discovered to recognize positive or negative (harmful) intentions of an approaching person.

Consciousness is certainly something that remains undefined, even though we know how the brain works, that doesn't justify how the brain holds consciousness, nor what consciousness is. Dr Amit Goswami describes an experiment where two meditating human beings in electromagnetic-proof cages exchange information (normally impossible), which would suggest that whatever consciousness is, is non-locale, that is the brain 'taps into it', rather than 'creates it'.

ReputationRep:
    I remember reading it a short while back. I don't know where I would find it again but it was a paper from UC Davis in california if you want to look it up.
    I might do later, it's not showing up on my attempts to google it.

ReputationRep:
    DEAD, means you don't come back, DEAD is irreversible. What you're talking about is a near-death experience (maybe a sort of coma, where he was so close to death it could be mistaken for death). Probably a good idea to ask the guy if you know him, but he's probably some make believe character from your trolling cabinet huh?
    I got this news from grapevine. I figured there would be people here who have heard/experienced similar stuff hence why i created thread.. Obviously you are just a text book worm who can only deny anything if the textbook say so.And I can totally understand that.

ReputationRep:
    You'll find out when you die. Or won't. Depending on what happens. :bigsmile:

ReputationRep:
    Consciousness is certainly something that remains undefined, even though we know how the brain works, that doesn't justify how the brain holds consciousness, nor what consciousness is. Dr Amit Goswami describes an experiment where two meditating human beings in electromagnetic-proof cages exchange information (normally impossible), which would suggest that whatever consciousness is, is non-locale, that is the brain 'taps into it', rather than 'creates it'.
    That's more or less what i'm hitting on. We can never really know for sure whether or not our individual consciousness stays on after death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedArrow)
    I got this news from grapevine. I figured there would be people here who have heard/experienced similar stuff hence why i created thread.. Obviously you are just a text book worm who can only deny anything if the textbook say so.And I can totally understand that.
    Have I denied anything? My answer was: "I don't know". I'm open to any possibility, maybe we're abducted by aliens and our souls are sucked up their umbilical cords and we're reborn on the planet of the orion system. This guy probably experienced what he says he experienced, was it real though? Maybe. Was it a rationalization of death by the brain (the same brain that dreams of pink see-through elephants)? Maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Some part of me die every single day.

ReputationRep:
    That's more or less what i'm hitting on. We can never really know for sure whether or not our individual consciousness stays on after death.
    Yeah, well it may or may not but I think the greatest scam is to think that the you will remain an individual separate from the rest. I've thought a lot about this and I think the I, is a complete illusion, the only thing that distinguishes you from me is your body, and your body being a temporary transient pile of dust would suggest that your individuality also is. If consciousness is non-locale, why the **** would it be separated into bits? Our consciousness is all the same, that feeling of being awake is true to any of us, and completely objective to all conscious beings. I don't know...

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVi1GAHrILI

This is what happens. Don't watch if you want a good night's sleep.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.