Does the retainer after braces close gap(s) between front teeth? Watch

Prat1k
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
Depends how long and often you wear them for. Mine closed after 5 months of wearing it regularly. Yeah I mean the ones after braces
Hey, I wanted to ask whether your gap is still closed and do you still wear retainers? Because I just got my braces off and have the same problem as you guys do.
MrsSheldonCooper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Prat1k)
Hey, I wanted to ask whether your gap is still closed and do you still wear retainers? Because I just got my braces off and have the same problem as you guys do.
Yup my gap is still closed. I wear my retainers 2/3x a week at night
Prat1k
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yup my gap is still closed. I wear my retainers 2/3x a week at night
Thanks
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Endless Blue)
I've just had my braces taken off today over a year early and rather unexpectedly. I was really pleased with how they look, apart from a small gap that has emerged between my two front teeth since having braces. It's really frustrating because, whilst I am very pleased to have such straight teeth, I now have a fairly noticeable gap between my two front teeth that is making me similarly insecure as I was before I had them in the first place!

I am confident that the retainers afterwards must be able to close this gap, because otherwise I have no idea why my orthodontist took out my braces leaving a tiny error with my teeth. So I suppose I'm looking for some reassurance here as I am going slightly mad right now!

Does anyone have any experience that can confirm this? I am rather worried.
Did your gap close? If yes, after how long?
coleenwinton
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've tried Orthofill and it really works. It actually fixed my gap teeth. #howtofixedgapteeth
loveleest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got permanent ones to close mines. Which is great because i don't need to wear my retainers and my teeth are straight
coleenwinton
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Instead of using retainers, why don't you try Orthofill. It's effective, affordable and can be trusted in fixing teeth gap. #howtofixteethgap
coleenwinton
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I used to have gaps in between my upper front teeth, I searched until I've found Orthofill. Really effective in closing a gap even without using braces. You can try it too. You can just search "Orthofill" in Google.
#howtocloseagapwithoutbraces
Leah.block
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yes, the retainer afterwards will just be a transparent plastic one to hold teeth in place after having braces it will shift the teeth no further. traintracks are used to close gaps although it appears you have just had them.
There are other options you can take after you have totally finished with retainers e.g oraband or orthofill however these treatments as well require retaining afterwards
I very much hope this answers your query

kind regards, Leah
Ouissamlabg
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i know its late but so are your teeths straight now?im rather curious bc i have the same prob
ScatteredQueen
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The job of retainers is mainly to retain the fixture of your teeth after braces. From my experience and what I've been told not wearing them develops gaps so wearing them should close the gaps you have between your teeth. Especially if they hurt a lot whenever you put them in you know they're doing something to your teeth. Just wear them regularly and the gaps should close but if you're really concerned and see no difference I would recommend going to your orthodontist and explaining your problem
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
12ksmith
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The retainers will close the gap up if you wear them as long as you can. I wore them for a year and I went from bugs bunny to straight teeth
Retainers won't move teeth but just keep them how they are.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ScatteredQueen)
The job of retainers is mainly to retain the fixture of your teeth after braces. From my experience and what I've been told not wearing them develops gaps so wearing them should close the gaps you have between your teeth. Especially if they hurt a lot whenever you put them in you know they're doing something to your teeth. Just wear them regularly and the gaps should close but if you're really concerned and see no difference I would recommend going to your orthodontist and explaining your problem
Hate to say it - but you're kind of talking rubbish here.

Yes retainers basically hold your teeth in place. But they won't 'close gaps' as they will just try and keep your teeth as they were at the time your impression was done.

It's not a good thing if your retainer hurts you. This means the retainer no longer fits correctly as the teeth have started to move.

If the orthodontist is working for the NHS I doubt they will be that concerned about a little gap between the front teeth - they have much bigger issues to deal with.

Hope this helps
teenhorrorstory
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hate to say it - but you're kind of talking rubbish here.

Yes retainers basically hold your teeth in place. But they won't 'close gaps' as they will just try and keep your teeth as they were at the time your impression was done.

It's not a good thing if your retainer hurts you. This means the retainer no longer fits correctly as the teeth have started to move.

If the orthodontist is working for the NHS I doubt they will be that concerned about a little gap between the front teeth - they have much bigger issues to deal with.

Hope this helps
Retainers can close small gaps between teeth and fix any tiny moving of teeth following the removal of braces
ScatteredQueen
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't be sorry thanks a lot for telling me. I'm sorry for giving wrong informations it seems I was misinformed. It looks like I'll have to book an appointment to get my retainers resized 😂. Seriously thanks for calling me out on that I appreciate it.
Jrgv83
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I prefer the Hawley retainer. The orthodontist needs to put a extra wire holding the two front teeth in place. My orthodontist did and it moved my 2 front teeth back together. The plastic retainers are cheaper but I dont believe those can be adjusted. Good luck!
Jlasker01
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
So retainers tighten up your teeth because I get mines off in two days but I feel like I have slight gaps where my upper canines are
Juliapril
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Did your gap close? I just got my braces off
Juliapril
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Did your gap close?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (537)
26.41%
The paper was reasonable (885)
43.53%
Not feeling great about that exam (397)
19.53%
It was TERRIBLE (214)
10.53%

Watched Threads