TV Presenter causes outrage after she poses with the lion she has just killed. Watch

Coffinman
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm outraged by the outrage.
(Original post by InnerTemple)
Not nice seeing animals killed for fun - especially those which other people are trying so hard to conserve.
Game shooting is conservation too.
Mankytoes
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Architecture-er)
I wouldn't actually have a problem if she used 'manpower' weapons like a bow & arrow, spear, etc. Then it's animal vs animal.

Shooting an animal for a trophy with a high-powered rifle from god-knows how far away makes you a cowardly piece of ****. There's nothing to boast of, apart from your ability to shoot something from far away.
Exactly, they did a Louis Theroux on South African "hunting", and it's all set up to make it almost impossible to fail. Pay enough and you will get your kill. They had a girl who was seriously about ten shooting a buffalo, no skill required at all. It's like throwing a bomb into a building and thinking you're a like badass fighter whose killed a hundred people with his bare hands.

In short, this is for absolute morons.
Swanbow
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In South Africa a lot of people may go hunting, but they'll bring back the dead impala put the meat in the freezer or make biltong out of it. These Americans come over to hunting farms to shoot animals in a controlled environment, absolutely no sport whatsoever and they only do it for trophies. If killing an animal for the sake of it is your idea of fun well quite frankly I pity you.

However I will note that there is often a need to control animal populations within game reservations and hunting can help achieve this well making a profit. Every couple of years or so there is a dire need to cull elephants in Kruger National Park, as their numbers become overpopulated and start having major effects on the ecosystem. Here hunting can be used as one of a variety of methods to control the population.
ckingalt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by InnerTemple)
Not nice seeing animals killed for fun - especially those which other people are trying so hard to conserve.

(Original post by whatmimi93)
It's a disgrace. People like her should be punished, a few years in prison or a nice heafty fine. Killing animals is only justified if it's for food or self defense.

(Original post by ChemicalBond)
Exactly. People like this are so self centred it's unbelievable. It's not sport- it's killing for the sake of killing, and lions are in a lot of trouble already, without selfish people like this contributing to their already rapid decline with the justification of 'sport'.

(Original post by doggyfizzel)
I understand hunting, I think its a very natural thing to do, to enjoy and to take pride in. That said, when you are hunting an animal such a lion which is not exactly on the look out for potential attackers, with a rifle so there is less of the skill involved, I don't think there is much sense in that, especially when the animal is already vulnerable in terms of numbers. I'd quite like to go dear hunting or something similar but a lion or a bear, I think I'd just feel guilty. That said I think the outrage is misplaced, it should be at the South African government, why is she legally allowed to hunt an vulnerable animal for sport?

I don't hunt and I personally would never want to destroy such a magnificent creature. However, the way I understand large game hunting permits, is that the massive expense of obtaining one goes to the preservation of the species. The reason this is even allowed is because the money raised from these hunts does far more to increase the population of a species, than the sacrifice of those animals killed does harm. I believe the permits for these hunts are actually controlled by the conservation effort. It would be wonderful if people like her were willing to donate the same sums of money and be content to go shoot animals with a camera instead of a gun, but they just aren't. The pragmatic reality is that this vulnerable species is better off if a few of these hunts are permitted.
techno-thriller
Report 5 years ago
Wow its only a lion
whatmimi93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ckingalt)
I don't hunt and I personally would never want to destroy such a magnificent creature. However, the way I understand large game hunting permits, is that the massive expense of obtaining one goes to the preservation of the species. The reason this is even allowed is because the money raised from these hunts does far more to increase the population of a species, than the sacrifice of those animals killed does harm. I believe the permits for these hunts are actually controlled by the conservation effort. It would be wonderful if people like her were willing to donate the same sums of money and be content to go shoot animals with a camera instead of a gun, but they just aren't. The pragmatic reality is that this vulnerable species is better off if a few of these hunts are permitted.
I don't know much about hunting so I'll take your word for it. But it all sounds counter productive. Saving just one lion from a hunter would count towards their preservation. It just doesn't make sense for the people who help increase the population to also allow killing them. I'd understand (kind of, though I would never kill an animal for no reason) if the poplulation of the lion was in abundance but it's not, they're vulnerable to becoming endangered. I know they need funds for the preservation but surely there are other means?
ChemicalBond
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ckingalt)
I see what you're saying about the fund thing, but there are some similar scenarios in South Africa where breeders will claim that they're helping to preserve the white lion, which is in even more trouble than the more familiar lion, when in fact they're only reared so that people like that selfish woman can shoot such a beautiful animal and make themselves look 'cool' (when it actually makes them look like a sadistic prat), meaning that the population of white lions is in the mercy of such people and so is not really conservation at all. It's called canned hunting, and is a growing issue. I think that people need to make more efforts to make sure that the lion is worth more alive than dead for example through responsible tourism, so that such schemes cannot exist sustainably. Plus lions are decreasing in numbers so rapidly that every lion matters, so funds should surely be raised in other ways.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ChemicalBond)
Plus lions are decreasing in numbers so rapidly that every lion matters, so funds should surely be raised in other ways.
You seem to have ignored the point about conservation: hunting actively contributes to the increase in the lion population, and indeed other animal populations.

Here's the Tanzanian government's wildlife director appealing in the New York Times to preserve lion hunting in his country, where the notes the population in stable. Indeed, I believe it has actually increased in modern times: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/18/op...them.html?_r=0

Not only is it helping wildlife, it's benefiting an often-fragile African tourist economy. We restrict it at our peril.
james22
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If it weren't for the issue of conservation, I would not have a problem with this. I eat meat for no reason other than the taste, so I am (like everyone else really) condoning the killing of animals for my own pleasure. This is no different.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (7)
30.43%
The paper was reasonable (10)
43.48%
Not feeling great about that exam... (3)
13.04%
It was TERRIBLE (3)
13.04%

Watched Threads