Jack Wilshere names his top 3 goalkeepers in the premier league Watch

Jjj90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hskjlclcn)
All 'keepers in the league are of as high a standard as there has ever been before (Speroni is a top keeper and is arguably the weakest)

My 3 in the present day on song would be Cech, Lloris & Krul
I agree, there are a ton of great Goalkeepers. Personally i'd put Mingolet above Krul but as a Sunderland fan i'm a bit biased.
Nickini
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1. Cech
2. De Gea
3. Lloris

Lots of quality keepers in the league, think Cech is still probably the best though (until Courtois comes back ).

(Original post by The Assassin)
It's like people forget the other games where he performs brilliantly. Jaaskelainen made a mistake for West Ham vs Norwich which went largely unnoticed. Keepers, like outfield players, are allowed to make mistakes. Cech really doesn't make mistakes to the numbers that other people claim he does, and he has been one of our most inform players in the last 3 or 4 seasons -- and was our player of the season in '11. This is Cech's 10th season at the club, you couldn't find another goalkeeper who has made less howlers than him in that time.

Nah, still -- underrated keeper Cech is.
This. Cech is brilliant 99% of the time, but because of that one goal he could have done better on people don't rate him anymore...

(Original post by Guru Jason)
I think he is rated correctly now. He was a absolute monster in goal before his accident. He was never the same again. Don't get me wrong, he is a great keeper but 1) he's not as good as he used to be and 2) I think now there are a few keepers better in the prem now.
He's definitely a lot more cautious, particularly about coming out to make a challenge but I don't think his injury has affected him as much as is sometimes made out. Just look at the 2012 CL (in particular the final), Drogba may have taken the plaudits but Cech was the real hero of Chelsea's victory tbf.
scriggy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1. Tim Krul
2. Shay Given
3. Steve Harper
little_wizard123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The Assassin)
The first goal was because Terry/Cahill couldn't manage to head the ball away before the WB albion player hit -- just a bit before that he made a very good save to keep it out. Not sure what you expected him to do there.

I received the implication from your post that, despite him being a top class keeper, Cech makes numerous mistakes to the extent that he isn't worthy of being in the top 3 -- also mentioning Hart in that sentence where, he makes a lot of mistakes to a similar extent that keeps him out of the top 3 (which I can understand moreso, since he's good great ability but makes a ****load, but not at all with Cech).

You're not comparing the level of his mistakes to Hart then? How far would you put 'em apart?
Maybe I was a bit harsh about the first goal - the West Brom attacker was a bit closer. But the second goal was Hart-esque :lol:

I really haven't rated Hart for a long time so I of course I would say Cech is better. Cech has also been decent recently - but since the 'Hunt' incident I just think he's been unable to reach the level he was at before. If we're talking 'form' I would have three keepers ahead of him, but overall I would put him there.
flabbyjoe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lloris
Cech
Begovic

Those 3 are miles ahead of any other keepers in the epl atm
HarryJames
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by little_wizard123)
Guzan deserves credit - he's definitely up there. The standard of goalkeeping in the league is fantastic. Add Jaaskelainen and Guzan to Zurich's list, then keepers like Foster, Marshall and Vorm are all very good too.

Based on the number of mistakes Cech and Hart make, I don't think they deserve to be top 3.
When you say up there with regards to brad Guzan please tell me you don't mean up there in or near the top 3

Posted from TSR Mobile
little_wizard123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by HarryJames)
When you say up there with regards to brad Guzan please tell me you don't mean up there in or near the top 3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Form-wise, of course. He saved Villa from relegation and has again been brilliant this season. To win Player of the Year ahead of Benteke (supporters AND players) shows how good he was last season. He's been solid. No keeper over the last year has made fewer mistakes. So on form, of course he's up there.
sr90
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lloris and Cech are the best by some distance. 3rd is too subjective - there really isn't much in it between DDG, Hart, Begovic, Chesney, Mignolet etc.

Even in the Championship the standard is very high. There are a whole host of young goalkeepers who would comfortably make the step up, or those who have already played in the Premier League who wouldn't do too badly given another chance.
HarryJames
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by little_wizard123)
Form-wise, of course. He saved Villa from relegation and has again been brilliant this season. To win Player of the Year ahead of Benteke (supporters AND players) shows how good he was last season. He's been solid. No keeper over the last year has made fewer mistakes. So on form, of course he's up there.
I'm not quite sure how he won those over Benteke, he scored a huge percentage of your goals and you'd have definitely gone down without him.

In terms of actual ability I Lloris and Cech are top two, I think either way around would be fine. Third is quite an open field

Posted from TSR Mobile
little_wizard123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by HarryJames)
I'm not quite sure how he won those over Benteke, he scored a huge percentage of your goals and you'd have definitely gone down without him.
Posted from TSR Mobile
I was a little surprised, but it goes to show he's clearly underrated. Villa fans adore him. He's been magnificent.
ddaappoo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
De Gea, Lloris and Cech.
Closely followed by Mignolet then Krul.
Yawn-er
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Guru Jason)
I think he is rated correctly now. He was a absolute monster in goal before his accident. He was never the same again. Don't get me wrong, he is a great keeper but 1) he's not as good as he used to be and 2) I think now there are a few keepers better in the prem now.
Yeah, but people's been saying this for years - he's been exceptional for the past 2 seasons.

De Gea had a terrible first season, and he's only in his second season atm. Loris is also in his 2nd season - 1st one starting consistently. Hart is terrible at the moment.

Jaask is up there, but not too sure about the rest of the league. None of them have been as good for as long as Cech. Top 5 in the world imo.
glousck
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Szczesny
Games played: 11
Goals Allowed: 10
Goals Allowed Average: 0.91
Shots on goal: 45
Saves: 35
Save %: 78%
Pass %: 60%
Clean sheets: 3

De Gea
Games played: 13
Goals Allowed: 13
Goals Allowed Average: 1.18
Shots on goal: 45
Save: 32
Saves %: 71%
Pass %: 54%

Hart
Games played: 9
Goals Allowed: 11
Goals Allowed Average: 1.22
Shots on goal: 29
Saves: 18
Saves %: 62%
Pass %: 50%

Cech
Games played: 11
Goals Allowed: 10
Goals Allowed Average: 0.91
Shots on goal: 41
Saves: 31
Saves %: 76%
Pass %: 61%

Woj <3
aroniglenn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm an Arsenal fan and even I'd say there's no way Szczesny is the best keeper in the prem! LLoris, Hart and Cech are all above him. Just because Hart has had a rough start to this season does not mean he's not a qualtiy goalie - give him a few months and he will be back to the fabulous keeper he was. As for Szczesny, he could be the best in the future but needs to stop being so rash with his decision making. At the moment De Gea is slightly better than him i'd say.
username912610
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Man where's the neg button when you need it
Stylo92
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Mignolet, Lloris, Begovic
Mackay
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd say De Gea, Begovic and Lloris were the three best goalkeepers in the Premier League.

Cech's decision making has been questionable for a few years now whilst Hart and Sczesney are both error prone.
JerzyDudek
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is there actually anyone in here who said De Gea not being a manc?
UniMastermindBOSS
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jaydoh)
Boruc over De Gea? Over Krul? Over Begovic?
Yes I think he's underrated

I wouldn't say De Gea as only United fans seem to think he's any good
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by UniMastermindBOSS)
Yes I think he's underrated

I wouldn't say De Gea as only United fans seem to think he's any good
I wouldn't say thats true, De Gea is a quality keeper and right up there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (480)
30.91%
The paper was reasonable (601)
38.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.48%
It was TERRIBLE (216)
13.91%

Watched Threads