Badges: 14
Report 5 years ago
yes ive turned it on.
neillya1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not turned it on, and never have in almost 2 years :eek:.

I live in an apartment block and luckily my neighbors seem to have their apartments like saunas (and I'm surrounded on 3 sides) so I just get all the lovely free warmth .
deedee123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's absolutely freezing, it was hitting -1 C in Glasgow at lunchtime.
mxcs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bonus of living with elderly family member: heating is on 24/7
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
I'm pretty hard when it comes to dealing with the cold, I use my thermal base layers that I got for camping/skiing as t shirts in the winter (they were pretty expensive tbh so it seems a waste only to get them out for the great outdoors) and warm fleeces from outdoor shops as well make good and not too bulky winter housewear that keep the excess of the cold away.

Also in the winter I tend to migrate from the sofa to my bed for stuff like reading, watching TV or playing football manager on my kindle fire, so my legs and most of my body is covered up and if its especially cold I just fill a couple of hot water bottles and stick them in with me. So I can survive most of the worst temperatures that a UK winter can throw at you whilst being in a house, without needing to use much heating.

When I was a student though I always found that heating became a thorny and controversial issue. On the one hand you have people that are concerned about spending money and willing to wrap up and adjust their lifestyles to deal with the cold, on the other hand there are those that say they don't care what it costs, they don't want to be cold and uncomfortable. I can make compromises to deal with the second type of person but I did find, in the two house shares where I had organised all the household bills and everything was in my name so I had to chase others for bills, that it was the people who were most insistent about "we shouldn't make ourselves suffer in the cold, its ridiculous" or who bought electric heaters for their own rooms, who were exactly the ones that made the most fuss when the bill came in..."what?? it can't be that much, phone the company and tell them they've made a mistake" or "well I was away for 2 weekends out of that so I shouldn't pay as much as everyone else" or "just don't pay it, don't give a forwarding address and they will never find you anyway".

So I did learn a tough lesson about people that were so insistent about us having the heating on more often...I remember one time having an argument with a girl about it and I said well ok, how about we transfer the bills in to your name then...she steadfastly refused to do that "why should I do that? you've already put them in yours, why should I have them in my name???".

I don't have my name on the bills in my current place, but in future if I ever do, its going to be, whilst my name is on the bill, I determine the house usage, and if anyone has a problem with my heating levels then they have to get the bills transferred to them. I would still pay my share, but Im not going to leave myself exposed by other people dropping short again - which happened to me twice and ran in to the hundreds of pounds that I ended up out of pocket.
This! Its like I can tell people this costs us this amount to do x y and z but then they get annoyed at the bills costing a lot.

And I told my flatmate that a 2kw electric heater actually uses less than the 8kw of gas that is required to heat the entire house if only one person is in the house

If there are two people then of course its cheaper to put the gas on

And his response was but "I don't like electric heaters" and he asked how much the bills were. I told him "No it can't be that much" Head bang wall...

Its like aargh. Im showing you what uses more power

Oh and they seem to outright refuse to believe that in our household the desktop PC is the single most expensive thing in the house

It used to be the light bulbs until I changed them all to led. One guy was like "no it can't be the lightbulbs" Conventional light bulbs use a **** tonne of power...

And he eventually said that the iron uses a lot of power. Yes it uses a "lot" but also it doesn't.

It uses 1.8Kw/hr and you have it on for about an hour a week and the PC STILL uses more power...

Its as if they look at the numbers on the machines but then don't look at the length of time people are using said machines...

I mean my laptop uses around 10x less power than my friends PC

I even have a power adaptor and they're like "why do you wanna do that" well maybe maybe to show that my stuff uses **** all power and your PC alone uses more power than every thing I have...

They said that the fridge uses a lot of power and my mini fridge uses a lot of power.my mini fridge uses 105Kw/year! (Is: 9.1w/hour)

The actual fridge freezer uses around 15w/hour though of course the fridge uses a lot of power /sarcasm

And then they think that TVs use a lot of power. Yes and no. That depends. I mean the one we got at home is a ridiculous waste of power at 250w/hour but my little 22"led TV uses around 15w...

Even the new big screen led TV's use around 45w/hour

Its like as if they can't face that the PC is the single most power hungry device in the flat

Case in point. In the first month we used 76kw when my friend didn't have a PC to hook up to

Next month we used 140kw

Coincidence?

I have a bloody damn power meter so you can see exactly what every appliance is using as well...

It really is like "arrgg. Head bang desk"

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.52%
The paper was reasonable (390)
45.99%
Not feeling great about that exam... (157)
18.51%
It was TERRIBLE (110)
12.97%

Watched Threads