Turn on thread page Beta

If you could kill one person in history...? watch

• View Poll Results: From these options?
    Hitler (or any top SS member)
    21.43%
    Stalin
    8.33%
    Your Grandfather (to see what would happen)
    2.38%
    Jesus
    5.95%
    Mohammed
    13.10%
    The Maker of This Forum
    19.05%
    Genghis Khan
    3.57%
    Saddam Hussein
    2.38%
    Osama Bin Laden
    4.76%
    Mao
    4.76%
    Ayatollah Khomeini
    4.76%
    Walt Disney (I'm weird and hate seeing children happy)
    9.52%

ReputationRep:
    Justin Beiber

ReputationRep:
    The maker of this forum.

ReputationRep:
    A big thanks going out there to the 5 people who said the Maker of This Forum.
    (On second thoughts, this shout out's going to get me more votes, isn't it?)

ReputationRep:
    the person who invented exams!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vendettax)
    Since you're for gender equality I'm guessing you refer to yourself as a MRA too then?
    Of course, I don't think men should be considered un-masculine for things like the profession they choose etc. I don't think male nurses and hairdressers should be assumed to be gay by society. When people talk about rape, society assumes a male rapist. I think its wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJKay)
    Please, give it up. You both sound like idiots.
    I was taking the mickey with that comment....:dry::facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DouglasAdams)
    Lee Harvey Oswald. FYI according to the Dallas Library, Oswald still has an overdue book
    Yeah that's the name! LOL I wonder what the book was on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    Yeah that's the name! LOL I wonder what the book was on?
    'How to Create a Governmental Conspiracy'?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    If you vote Hitler you're not thinking straight/lack a fine appreciation of international relations and strategic studies in the 20th century; the 2nd World War would have been fought a decade or two later, between the Soviets and 'the free world', and likely have involved nuclear weapon, and other WMD, deployment on both sides, many times more deaths, on both sides, and have lasted longer/been more of a bitter struggle to the end :beard:

Stalin is the one for me, ok Hitler was a megalomaniac lunatic but Stalin was a total sociopath - at least Hitler didn't (deliberately) decimate his 'own people'). Mao was actually worse, but more of an internal, than an external, threat imo, and hence less of a problem to the world at large
    Plus, without Hitler our scientific advances would've been miniscule

ReputationRep:
    So western centric, not to say it is unexpected it if there is anything wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The guy who killed Abraham Lincoln before he killed Lincoln. The USA would have been a different country if he had been alive to continued in office. Like Racism may have had a different outcome...:rolleyes:

Or is this me dreaming

ReputationRep:
    Note the word deliberately and inverted commas :holmes:
    I was more or less looking at the "At least he didn't deliberately" remark.

ReputationRep:
    Ok..?
    It implies that you suggest Hitler didn't deliberately kill his own population. Do you not understand that?

ReputationRep:
    You realise Hitler had himself convinced of the superiority of his race, the fighting and tactical qualities of his soldiers, and his own strategic genius right(?) It seemed he couldn't conceive of the scale/depth of destruction and horror his actions were to bring upon his people until it was 'way too late' (in his mind)
    I think you're missing a few important points.

Just because Hitler convinced himself of the superiority of the race, doesn't exclude him from being not deliberately decimating his own population. We have to realize that in the tenants of 20th century fascism, it was a social response, predominately from the secure middle class, as a reaction to loss of status and poverty. In many ways, it is seen as a vehicle which sees an ideological position of national victimization and inherent superiority. In order to do that, it is through systematic, executive identification of scapegoats. These were not limited to race. Political dissidents, musicians and those who did not adhere to the Nazi lifestyle and culture were deemed inferior and were subsequently killed. Not to mention, those with medical, genetic illnesses were subject to extermination.

As for fighting and tactical superiority of his soldiers, I wouldn't go that far either. The Wehrmacht chain of command were simply able to utilize their force more so than their French and Polish counterparts by the effective use of radio systems in blitzkrieg offensives.

I don't think it was simply a case of "too late", I think it was part of a systematic, political execution to unify a state under common ethnicity which divides a population under the premise of maintaining order through foreign policy endeavors and marginalization of minorities.

ReputationRep:
    my grandad, lol jk
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Hmm, I dunno, ze Germans were pretty strong scientifically regardless, n'est pas? :beard:
    Indeed, that is why WWII inspired the rest of the world to step their science up. Otherwise, Germany would still be leaps and bounds ahead of us in terms of science; whereas we caught up in WWII.
    Oui?

ReputationRep:
    Am getting slightly worried at 'The Maker of this Forum' count sliding up to 20%...
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Fair point. Shame the UK lost that momentum pretty quickly in the aftermath, and the US/USSR were better able to capitalise on the knowledge/personnel coming out of Europe :rolleyes:
    True - we still have the world's most efficient armed forces though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DouglasAdams)
    Who would it be?
    I don't see the option for the person behind DouglasAdams acoount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    I picked Mohammed, but the person I would rather have killed on the list would have been the guy who assassinated Kennedy, I would have liked to know how he would have finished his domestic and foreign policies - it's a shame he couldn't.
    I'd have liked to kill the guy who killed Lee Oswald (the guy who assassinated Kennedy) as the JFK assassination still has many holes in it, and Oswald never admitted to assassinated Kennedy and it seems that Oswald had links to the Soviet Union. It possibly would have unravelled even greater tensions between the US and the Soviet Union, but it would have been fascinating to possibly find out if it truly was Oswald who assassinated Kennedy and if so, if he worked on his own or if there was a second assassin.

**Edit**
    Chose Genghis Kahn because apparently 1 in every 200 men is a direct descendant of Genghis Kahn and possess the same Y chromosome. Thought that'd mess about with genetics a bit.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 22, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.