Turn on thread page Beta

What more can TSR do to fight cyber-bullying? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rational Thinker)
    Not all bullies are cowards. What happens if the victims attempts to stand up to the bully and gets demolished?
    Uh... it gets demolished? You basically answered your own "if" statement. It's up to whoever to do whatever from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Extremotroph)
    Uh... it gets demolished? You basically answered your own "if" statement. It's up to whoever to do whatever from there.
    The universe does not fall apart. Stalin was a bully for instance, however he was also a very good bully and destroyed his opposition effectively.

ReputationRep:
    The universe does not fall apart. Stalin was a bully for instance, however he was also a very good bully and destroyed his opposition effectively.
    You fail to recognise a statement of humorous fiction from a statement of reality. May Satan heal your soul.

ReputationRep:
    You fail to recognise a statement of humorous fiction from a statement of reality. May Satan heal your soul.
    I recognised its humourous intent (though it was not particularly sucessful in its application), however there is a serious point underneath it. The idea that all bullies are paper tigers who will bow if you show the slightest resistance is a farce.

ReputationRep:
    I recognised its humourous intent (though it was not particularly sucessful in its application), however there is a serious point underneath it. The idea that all bullies are paper tigers who will bow if you show the slightest resistance is a farce.
    Well "slight resistance" is a pussy manoeuvre, not one I advocate, nor did I argue for what you posited. Substantial force is what will change someone's behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    Well "slight resistance" is a pussy manoeuvre, not one I advocate, nor did I argue for what you posited. Substantial force is what will change someone's behaviour.
    Your use of the crude term "pussy" only lends makes you argument more credible and academic.Substantial force may be met by substantial force on the part of the bully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    That wouldn't stop or prevent cyber bulling at all.

What if the bully that bullies the bully then becomes the bully? Who bullies the bully then?
    isn't it obvious.

The bully that became the bullied once more becomes the bully and bully's the bullied that became the bully.

ReputationRep:
    Your use of the crude term "pussy" only lends makes you argument more credible and academic.Substantial force may be met by substantial force on the part of the bully.
    You seem to enjoy debating fiction, non-reality, and hypotheticals. They have little basis since you cannot generalise situations, due to the nature of life dictating that each moment will differ from the next.

Therefore it's up to whoever to do whatever. I stand by what I said about substantial force, and if such an action does result in a fight, which is likely, then it's by the victim's own doing (and choice, which he must take responsibility for) that he gets beaten through his own instigation.

ReputationRep:
    You seem to enjoy debating fiction, non-reality, and hypotheticals. They have little basis since you cannot generalise situations, due to the nature of life dictating that each moment will differ from the next.

Therefore it's up to whoever to do whatever. I stand by what I said about substantial force, and if such an action does result in a fight, which is likely, then it's by the victim's own doing (and choice, which he must take responsibility for) that he gets beaten through his own instigation.
    Some pre determined plan can be obtained, I said some bullies not all. So really the victim is in a lose-lose situation, if they fight back and win they are likely to charged with assault if they lose they are beaten severely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Oh and I've mentioned this before but I think the ignore feature needs to be improved.

It should be closer to the "Block" feature on twitter.

At the moment if I add someone to my ignore list they can see that I've ignored them but THEY continue to see my posts. If they quote me then I don't know if that shows in the WQM widget/notifications but it's visible in the thread.

This seems to do the opposite to what is required if you feel someone is harassing you - when you block someone they shouldn't be able to see YOUR posts or quote them or PM you or leave visitor messages....and if they manually quote you in order to continue to harass you even though it's clear you want no interaction then they should be given substantial warning points/banned.
    I agree with this 100%. There are some members who will quote other users and defy anything they have to say, just because they've had a disagreement in the past.

The "ignore" list should be, like on Twitter and Facebook to some extent, as if neither of you exist as far as the other is concerned.

Today someone posted in a thread who I was ignoring, but it just comes up "you cannot see this post" and then below, someone else had quoted the post so I could see what he'd said about me anyway! Completely defeats the object of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garfeeled)
    isn't it obvious.

The bully that became the bullied once more becomes the bully and bully's the bullied that became the bully.
    At which point someone comes forward to bully the bully who then becomes the bully and...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    I agree with this 100%. There are some members who will quote other users and defy anything they have to say, just because they've had a disagreement in the past.

The "ignore" list should be, like on Twitter and Facebook to some extent, as if neither of you exist as far as the other is concerned.

Today someone posted in a thread who I was ignoring, but it just comes up "you cannot see this post" and then below, someone else had quoted the post so I could see what he'd said about me anyway! Completely defeats the object of it.
    Vouch for this

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Some pre determined plan can be obtained, I said some bullies not all. So really the victim is in a lose-lose situation, if they fight back and win they are likely to charged with assault if they lose they are beaten severely?
    Mate I'm done talking bull crap with you. The hypotheticals you pose are not rigid, why does the victim have to be charged with assault, why does the bully have to beat the victim severely? Why can't the bully just piss on his hair instead?

Hypotheticals hold little value, don't delude yourself into thinking they do. Debating hypotheticals is living in the world of imagination - of no value to ascertaining, grasping reality.

ReputationRep:
    Mate I'm done talking bull crap with you. The hypotheticals you pose are not rigid, why does the victim have to be charged with assault, why does the bully have to beat the victim severely? Why can't the bully just piss on his hair instead?

Hypotheticals hold little value, don't delude yourself into thinking they do. Debating hypotheticals is living in the world of imagination - of no value to ascertaining, grasping reality.
    These are likely occurrences.

ReputationRep:
    At which point someone comes forward to bully the bully who then becomes the bully and...

I am trying to continue the sentence but it is hurting my brain.

ReputationRep:
    These are likely occurrences.
    Likely for who? Relative to what? Eating cake? Here's the most certain scenario: Whoever can do whatever they like.

ReputationRep:
    Likely for who? Relative to what? Eating cake? Here's the most certain scenario: Whoever can do whatever they like.
    There are restrictions upon agency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)

Exactly, it's ridiculous. TSR should be able to make a much better one IMO. If one user can hide all comments from a particular user (as with the ignore function), how hard can it be for them to also hide their threads/profile from the other user (as with a proper block function?)

I use the ignore function for some users as TBH there are some people here I would not bother saying hello to in real life, but then they just come on my threads anyway and insist on quoting other people ten times. If those people quote them back, I can see what they've written AND they derail the thread anyway. So it is pointless.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Thanks to everyone for all the feedback in this thread so far - please keep it coming.

We'll be looking into all of these ideas. I can see there is a lot of support for improving the block functionality on the site, so we'll look into what we can do around that. We'll also update the functionality and messaging on the report post button so that it includes bullying as an option.

ReputationRep:
    That wouldn't stop or prevent cyber bulling at all.

What if the bully that bullies the bully then becomes the bully? Who bullies the bully then?
    No one becomes the bully they are both bullies. You state "What if the _BULLY(1) that bullies the _BULLY(2)_, then becomes the BULLY(2)? Who bullies the bully(2) then?

Bully(1) bullies bully(2) and becomes bully(2) metaphorically.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.