Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Who cares? Why pay attention to people who think this is offensive? Don't dignify them with a response.

ReputationRep:
    Shut up OP.

As a muslim, it is allowed to have more than one wife (though not as common in England). So theres nothing racist in the tweet. Besides Islam is not a race.

Seriously, go troll somewhere else. Also he's a pretty funny and succesful guy so maybe you could learn a thing or two...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    That sure does sound like a nice and peaceful religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, I'm glad you think that way. Though I was talking in general, some things in some places can have consequences (and there's all kinds of case scenario's for this).

(Original post by ThatPerson)
    You might want to open a dictionary and actually look at the definition of Islamophobic.
    I'd actually recommend you follow your own advice.

The term "Islamophobic" is used so often that it's almost devoid of meaning. Most people (on this forum especially) do not hate Muslims, they dislike Islam. That is a very important distinction that you do not seem to understand.
    To say most people here don't dislike Muslims but only hate Islam shows how close minded you've been in your observation. Rather, it's quite telling that most of the people that have mate hate comments towards Islam have also harboured that hatred towards Muslims

It's also difficult to separate the two since Islam defines Muslims (as it's our way of life, and whatever we do is based off it).

Also, double standard much? You're implying that your racism is justified because Conan's "racism" was apparently worse.
    No, this is your own self-induced interpretation that has no basis. I never said racism was justified (a bit hypocritical given Islam's stance towards it), I just stated that what Conan said was far worst than racism. And had he said that in the wrong place and in the wrong time, there could've been far worst repercussions.

So the punishment for free speech and humour is death? Very peaceful.
    Well, it depends on where you go. In some places in Europe you can get anything from a fine to a jail sentence.

There are far worse, and much funnier jokes about other religions. Islam isn't immune to that and it shouldn't be.
    Firstly, as a side point; Islam isn't just any other religion. Secondly, regardless of what one believes, every action has a consequence, and those that trigger it should be prepared to face what's about to come.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-Mudaari)
    Conan was being worst, an Islamophobic bigot that in the wrong place at the wrong time could've had his head chopped off.

You, and people like you, are the reason people are "Islamophobic". You obviously think it's acceptable behavior to behead someone for harmless words, so let me ask you this. Why are you so hateful and defensive and what exactly do you have to prove?

ReputationRep:
    People like Brandon Flowers always get taken the piss out of for being Mormons and asked why they therefore don't have loads of wives. No one make a massive deal then. Conan is a comedian. Why should Islam be exempt from such mild inoffensive jokes? Every other aspect of society recieves them, but when it comes to Islam you'd swear someone's been killed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vendettax)
    My whole post was sarcastic if you didn't realise. The fact that you took it seriously just shows how phucked up this world is.

Liberals are the ones complaining, Huffington post editors etc if you read the article also.
    I think it's more of a fail on your part. Don't worry, some people just can't use sarcasm...

ReputationRep:
    Conan is like Jonathan Ross's show, but only in the US.

That's not racist, just idiotic people flying the word racist everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    To say most people here don't dislike Muslims but only hate Islam shows how close minded you've been in your observation. Rather, it's quite telling that most of the people that have mate hate comments towards Islam have also harboured that hatred towards Muslims

It's also difficult to separate the two since Islam defines Muslims (as it's our way of life, and whatever we do is based off it).
    I think it's very possible to hate Islam but not Muslims, don't Muslims themselves and Christians have to do something similar everyday for example when they seperate the sin from the sinner when they meet homosexual people or people who have casual sex etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Really_now)
    I think it's very possible to hate Islam but not Muslims, don't Muslims themselves and Christians have to do something similar everyday for example when they seperate the sin from the sinner when they meet homosexual people or people who have casual sex etc etc
    It's possible, and highly evident within Academics. On TSR however, it seems rather the exception than the norm.

Though mind you, hating Islam isn't exactly praiseworthy.

ReputationRep:
    It's possible, and highly evident within Academics. On TSR however, it seems rather the exception than the norm.
    Well don't let it get to you then. I was just saying literally on another thread that TSR is a parallel world that in no way matches opinions in real life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Angry Stoic)
    If he replaced Muslim with Mormon would it still be racist?
    Progressive racists would probably think not, but they may have a seizure trying to justify their hypocrisy and double standards.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm glad you think that way. Though I was talking in general, some things in some places can have consequences (and there's all kinds of case scenario's for this).

I'd actually recommend you follow your own advice.

No, this is your own self-induced interpretation that has no basis. I never said racism was justified (a bit hypocritical given Islam's stance towards it), I just stated that what Conan said was far worst than racism. And had he said that in the wrong place and in the wrong time, there could've been far worst repercussions.

Well, it depends on where you go. In some places in Europe you can get anything from a fine to a jail sentence.

Firstly, as a side point; Islam isn't just any other religion. Secondly, regardless of what one believes, every action has a consequence, and those that trigger it should be prepared to face what's about to come.
    1) Again I'd ask you to read your own link
    2) By some of the posts you've made on this forum, namely those about Malala, it's not surprising that you have experienced hatred towards yourself, however this is not an indicator of the general opinion(s) of TSR. Islam defines you because that is what you choose, I know plenty of Muslims who's life is not defined by their religion.
    3) No idea what you mean by "self induced", anyway, that is what I inferred from your response, only you know what you actually meant.
    4) Islam is any other religion.

What do you mean by "...prepared to face what's about to come?". There is no need to resort to some scaremongering apocalypse bull****. I'm not even going to bother to refute that.

As a side note, before you criticise others for being close-minded, please read your own posts.

ReputationRep:
    Just because you find a joke about Islam offensive doesn't mean it or the person telling it is islamaphobic. Especially in this case, people need to grow up and realize tossing the word "racism" around doesn't automatically win a debate, all it does is lessen the impact when it's used for people who are prejudiced based on race. Not aimed at OP.

ReputationRep:
    Conan is awesome......m a muslim fan.

ReputationRep:
    the accusers are never usually the victims involved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniMastermindBOSS)
    What do you have against people living in caves Eva?

That's cavist/cavophobic and it deeply upsets me and I assume the entire World

brb going to newspapers and making thread on TSR
    Interesting play on words but actually I've got nothing against people who live in caves

I deeply apologise to all those who have been offended by my cavophobic (I like that better) comment and compensation will be sent your way as soon as possible.

I promise.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 19, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.