ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ripper-Roo)
    wats the green top
    semi skimmed.

ReputationRep:
    Full fat milk crew

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAngely)
    Whole milk is best. Yes it has more fat, but fat is good. Fat helps to stop sugar from being digested too quickly and giving a sugar high. There are good fats and there are bad fats.

Fats in whole foods (whole wheat, whole nuts, whole milk, etc) are good for you.
    Fats in greasy foods (red meat, crisps, desserts, etc) are bad for you.

Fat isn't necessarily bad, sugar is worse for you. We're always told that fat is bad. NEVER buy low-fat or ''no-fat''. To substitute what manufacturers have taken out of the original product, they put lots of sugar in it to balance out the flavour.

Sugar is addictive. We have gone from having hardly any sugar, to having lots of it in such a small amount of time, our bodies can't handle it since we haven't adapted to taking so much sugar.
    To curb your sugar cravings, eat fruit. Natural sugars are better for you than refined sugar.
    Yes I'm trying to put on muscle and no I'm not scared of gaining a small bit of fat but a pint of whole milk is 60% of my daily saturates? Seems a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You're also told to have 50g of protein a day but I'm guessing you don't use this as any sort of marker? Lighten up, dairy fat is good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shawshank)
    You're also told to have 50g of protein a day but I'm guessing you don't use this as any sort of marker? Lighten up, dairy fat is good.
    You're actually supposed to have between 50 and 190g or protein a day. Point taken, I prefer whole milk anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by JimmyGatz)
    You're actually supposed to have between 50 and 190g or protein a day. Point taken, I prefer whole milk anyway
    Slightly above 50g of protein is the recommendation for a non-training adult male. This increases with activity and is highest in strength training athletes; with the exact value required for overall positive nitrogen balance varying with body composition. Can guarantee you that big Ronnie C requires more than 190g of protein.

Shawshank's point is that's how much protein you're told that you need, but you're not following that advice. Similarly, you're told that you're only to have a certain amount of fats and that they're bad for you, but you shouldn't pay such strict attention to that either.

"You're meant to have between 50 and 190g" is one of the most general statements I've ever seen. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I have started buying skimmed, just because it cuts down cals a bit as I have cereal for breakfast and a few cups of tea during the day. I use the same amount on my cereal, as I don't like it watery and don't drink the spare milk anyway, so I probably only actually drink a few spoons of milk.

However, in my tea, I've realised that if I put the same amount in as SS it's just to strong. So I end up adding extra, therefore negating any calories saved, lol. But it's still probably worth it just because of the cereal, and I've managed to find a balance for maintaining weight, and the skimmed milk is very much a part of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JimmyGatz)
    Yes I'm trying to put on muscle and no I'm not scared of gaining a small bit of fat but a pint of whole milk is 60% of my daily saturates? Seems a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It doesn't help that we are not taught about the different kinds of saturates just as we are not taught about the different kinds of fats.

Everyone knows that saturated fat in processed food is bad, but there are other saturated fats too. Not all of them are created equal. Saturated fat should be consumed, but everything in moderation, so that is why I don't think you should be drinking a whole pint of milk in one day. It seems excessive.

Eat more protein, like eggs, chicken, turkey, etc to gain muscle. Eating eggs and toast for breakfast is a good start to the day. Or if you can't eat eggs, research around for a protein alternative, like tofu.
    Eating oily fish will keep your joints well oiled, so you don't pull anything and hurt yourself.
    And eating WHOLE nuts will curb your hunger when you start to get peckish. The fats in nuts will not make you fat as long as they are whole. It doesn't help that supermarkets very rarely ever sell whole nuts, but you can probably find them on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't help that we are not taught about the different kinds of saturates just as we are not taught about the different kinds of fats.

Everyone knows that saturated fat in processed food is bad [Is it? Why? Are you sure it's not just the reputation that the foods are inherently unhealthy as to why you think this? Real butter is ok but if you cook it in with white flower & make a pastry it's then bad?], but there are other saturated fats too. Not all of them are created equal. Saturated fat should be consumed, but everything in moderation, so that is why I don't think you should be drinking a whole pint of milk in one day. It seems excessive. [It's anything but "excessive."]

Eat more protein, like eggs, chicken, turkey, etc to gain muscle. Eating eggs and toast for breakfast is a good start to the day. Or if you can't eat eggs, research around for a protein alternative, like tofu.
    Eating oily fish will keep your joints well oiled, so you don't pull anything and hurt yourself.
    And eating WHOLE nuts will curb your hunger when you start to get peckish. The fats in nuts will not make you fat as long as they are whole. [<= This sentence makes zero sense, if someone ate 3000 cals of "whole" nuts a day on top of everything else are you saying they won't get fat? Not sure why you think my "half" almonds are bad, they seem to do me fine.]It doesn't help that supermarkets very rarely ever sell whole nuts, but you can probably find them on the internet.
    . :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shawshank)
    . :3
    The reason fats in processed foods are bad for you are because they contain trans fat or hydrogenated fat. I gave you false information, and I'm sorry about that.
    When you put butter into white flour and make pastry,you have to think about the flour. White flour goes through heavy refining and processing, whilst wholewheat flour goes through less, but they both are carbohydrates. The difference between white flour and wholewheat flour is the fibre content. White flour has hardly to no fibre in it because the outer layer, which has the fibre in it, has been refined so much that it doesn't exist anymore.

Carbohydrates are turned into sugar by your body, carbohydrates are needed for a balanced diet, everything in moderation. But, the wholewheat flour still has it's fibre, so you're still getting a fibre boost by eating it.

About drinking a pint of milk, that was probably my opinion coming through there. I've just never known anyone to drink a whole pint of milk in one day.

There was an experiment where people had to eat 45g of whole almonds a day as a snack for 20 days to see whether the fat in almonds would make them gain weight. They had to stick to their usual routine, didn't exercise more or less than they usually do, and it turned out that at the end of the trail they hadn't put on any weight or only a pound of weight. If I can find the study I will link it.

The study said that the fats in whole nuts are clumped together, whilst the ones in cut nuts are more spread out. So the clumped fat in the whole nuts just go through the body and is treated as waste, so it actually leaves the body, whilst the fat in cut nuts are distributed around the body and make you gain weight. I don't know how it works exactly, but my theory is that since the cut nuts are manufactured and travel around, the fats in them are given time to separate. This suggests that when you chew whole nuts, the fat cells aren't given time to separate because they are already being digested, so that is why you don't gain weight when you eat chewed up nuts. It's only a theory though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ripper-Roo)
    wats the green top
    semi

ReputationRep:
    Good lad, don't waste money on over-priced cheese leftovers, buy milk!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    About drinking a pint of milk, that was probably my opinion coming through there. I've just never known anyone to drink a whole pint of milk in one day..
    2.5 pints of whole milk a day crew checking in.

There was an experiment where people had to eat 100g of whole almonds a day as a snack for 20 days to see whether the fat in almonds would make them gain weight. They had to stick to their usual routine, didn't exercise more or less than they usually do, and it turned out that at the end of the trail they hadn't put on any weight or only a pound of weight. If I can find the study I will link it.

The study said that the fats in whole nuts are clumped together, whilst the ones in cut nuts are more spread out. So the clumped fat in the whole nuts just go through the body and is treated as waste, so it actually leaves the body, whilst the fat in cut nuts are distributed around the body and make you gain weight. I don't know how it works exactly, but my theory is that since the cut nuts are manufactured and travel around, the fats in them are given time to separate. This suggests that when you chew whole nuts, the fat cells aren't given time to separate because they are already being digested, so that is why you don't gain weight when you eat chewed up nuts. It's only a theory though.
    This isn't how metabolism works. You really think our body is so **** at digestion that we can't break down fats if they're "clumped together"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    2.5 pints of whole milk a day crew checking in.

This isn't how metabolism works. You really think our body is so **** at digestion that we can't break down fats if they're "clumped together"?
    This isn't the study I wanted to show you, but it does provide some evidence that nuts, particularly almonds, don't make you gain weight.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...226884491.html
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    This isn't the study I wanted to show you, but it does provide some evidence that nuts, particularly almonds, don't make you gain weight.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...226884491.html
    You don't even have to read the original study to find the answer, just read the article. The reason isn't because the "clumped together" fats in almonds run right through our body. It's because they snacked on 1.5oz of almonds, felt less hungry, so ate less elsewhere throughout the day - balancing out the 250 calories they got from the almonds. Almonds don't have some magical property that allows them to disobey the laws of thermodynamics.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    1% fat. YEAH.

ReputationRep:
    Whole milk it is from now on then. Gonna drink a pint of whole milk at school everyday then drink however much semi-skimmed milk is left at home

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.