Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowcopter)
    How were your GCSE results?

I seriously think this whole 'better attendance = better grades' idea is ridiculous. Sometimes I think I learn more staying at home and just reading and revising the books for the subjects than I do at school being stuck in the lessons for them. Home learning just works better for me. I'm not saying I'd prefer no school at all, but I'm saying that attendance shouldn't matter so much and 80% should still be considered alright because for some students missing a few days helps them work better. But that's just in my experience of school anyway.
    I had an average of about 80-85% attendance (depression and anxiety meant I just didn't want to be there most of the time) but still ended up with mostly A*s, As and a few Bs. As long as you can process and remember information successfully and revise for your exams smartly, attendance doesn't seem to be much of a problem (unless it's an extreme case where you're there for 10% of the year). One of my best friends in secondary school also had depression and less than 50% attendance and she still ended up with good GCSE's and is now training to be a chef.

ReputationRep:
    I probably took about 10 days off in total between Y7-Y11.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    I had an average of about 80-85% attendance (depression and anxiety meant I just didn't want to be there most of the time) but still ended up with mostly A*s, As and a few Bs. As long as you can process and remember information successfully and revise for your exams smartly, attendance doesn't seem to be much of a problem (unless it's an extreme case where you're there for 10% of the year). One of my best friends in secondary school also had depression and less than 50% attendance and she still ended up with good GCSE's and is now training to be a chef.
    Yep, 80-85% was my average from year 7-10. So far missed 9 days in Year 11 since this September. Although I'm trying to go school more, it will probably be about 80-85% again by the end of this year again. I'm honestly not bothered at all though, because as you said and others have said it's all about revising smartly. The only reason I'm trying to get good attendance is to get the school off my case and to leave me alone. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowcopter)
    Yep, 80-85% was my average from year 7-10. So far missed 9 days in Year 11 since this September. Although I'm trying to go school more, it will probably be about 80-85% again by the end of this year again. I'm honestly not bothered at all though, because as you said and others have said it's all about revising smartly. The only reason I'm trying to get good attendance is to get the school off my case and to leave me alone. :rolleyes:
    Yeah you can have 100% and just doss around and not learn anything at all, as long as you're smart and you know how to get the grades that's (mostly) all that matters. Revise, revise, revise. Do practice exam questions, do them again and again and pay attention to feedback on them, look at what you're supposed to do for each exam/piece of coursework to get the grade you want, remember a lot of the stuff that's written in your text books and you'll be dandy. I had to have a maths tutor to get my A in Maths (would have been a C/D otherwise) but that's just cos I'm naturally pants at Maths it seems, but all other subjects I just did everything mentioned above and didn't do badly at all. Agree about the point about it being annoying that school being on your back but I guess they do have a legal obligation. Back in year 9 when I was feeling at my worst and didn't come in 4 days straight my head of year came round my house, seemed a bit surprised to see me answering the door in my pyjamas :lol:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by glousck)
    Yeah you can have 100% and just doss around and not learn anything at all, as long as you're smart and you know how to get the grades that's (mostly) all that matters. Revise, revise, revise. Do practice exam questions, do them again and again and pay attention to feedback on them, look at what you're supposed to do for each exam/piece of coursework to get the grade you want, remember a lot of the stuff that's written in your text books and you'll be dandy. I had to have a maths tutor to get my A in Maths (would have been a C/D otherwise) but that's just cos I'm naturally pants at Maths it seems, but all other subjects I just did everything mentioned above and didn't do badly at all. Agree about the point about it being annoying that school being on your back but I guess they do have a legal obligation. Back in year 9 when I was feeling at my worst and didn't come in 4 days straight my head of year came round my house, seemed a bit surprised to see me answering the door in my pyjamas :lol:
    No I just turn up, do the bare minimum and leave - when it comes to exams I turn up on the day and get a high grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Mine was about 90-95% in KS3 and KS4 where I took the occasional day off due to illness. Now that I'm in the sixth form, it's 100%. I can't afford to take days off anymore

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.