Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How exactly would a ban be enforced? I'd just pee standing up anyway If I was in a cubicle.

As an aside, I poo quite a lot. I've only got to think about sitting on a toilet and I get the urge. If I had to sit down every time I needed to wee, well...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I'd be more concerned that parliament actually had the time to waste on legislation like this. I sincerely hope they would have better things to do.
    Who decides what's worthy of debate and what's not? I don't think there should be biases on what legislation is able to reach the parliamentary floor and what can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Who decides what's worthy of debate and what's not? I don't think there should be biases on what legislation is able to reach the parliamentary floor and what can't.
    <br />
    <br />

Well this has to be widely accepted as the most pointless waste of resources ever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Wouldn't be against legislation of this sort. I've always thought peeing from standing and 'shaking off' was less sanitary, and it's obviously messier. Also in favour of progress towards genderless toilets.
    Why would you want genderless toilets?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by darius12345)
    Why would you want genderless toilets?
    Gendered toilets cater to a binary view of gender, a view which is becoming outmoded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Gendered toilets cater to a binary view of gender, a view which is becoming outmoded.
    Gendered toilets provide privacy for men and women who don't want to share.

ReputationRep:
    lol Sweden is definitely one of the most beta countries in the world.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Gendered toilets provide privacy for men and women who don't want to share.
    Share what? I don't consider myself sharing with anyone when I am in the men's. As for privacy, I'm in a cubicle.

ReputationRep:
    Hypothetically this becomes law this would be some of the many problems that would arise.

There is no way to enforce this. Cameras in toilets are illegal and it would be impossible to change the law to accommodate this. They could get rid of Urinals and just make cubicles but that would increase the lines for using the toilet (Oh you just finished your big mac and you need a piss? Well wait for 10 minutes because there are only 5 cubicles).

Even if there was just Cubicles most men would just piss standing up and there would be cubicles so even if they was a policeman in every public toilet in Sweden they would not know when a man is standing up or sitting.

The fact that some logical, educated human beings came up with this idea is quite simply astonishing.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm well i'm not seeing any mention of making it illegal but nonetheless it does seem a little off. Women's behaviour in public toilets is far worse than mens. I'd far rather use a toilet used by men with a few shake off dribbles than use a toilet after some women has been squating over it spraying piss and **** everywhere, leaving pissy toilet paper all over the place and foul-smelling sanitary products stuffed in every crevice. WTF is wrong with you people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ras17)
    This actually is much more sanitary. Obviously some men are responsible and can pee where they're meant to, but judging by the state of public men's rooms, quite a few take way too much liberty from the fact that they won't need to clean up after themselves and just seem to let it fly everywhere. There's also that culture of shaking, which doesn't help.

It also surprises me of how many men just shrug when they get urine droplets on their trousers after using the restroom. :yucky:
    seriously?:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Share what? I don't consider myself sharing with anyone when I am in the men's. As for privacy, I'm in a cubicle.
    I'm talking especially clubs etc. Most people (especially women) are grateful of this privacy.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm talking especially clubs etc. Most people (especially women) are grateful of this privacy.
    I wouldn't want to compromise people's feelings of safety or anything like that, so maybe certain environments could be argued to be exceptional, or otherwise there might be other ways to approach the issue that ensured privacy for anyone who wanted it. I'm open to other people's ideas on those areas.

ReputationRep:
    This is the problem of Western feminism. It has moved from valid issues like the right to vote, work and so on and transformed into this weird anti-male and anti-biology philosophy. Feminism is important but I prefer to say I am egalitarian these days because no self-respecting man should associate with this wing of the feminist movement because it's insane and aggressive towards us. being a male radical feminist is like being a black republican or a muslim EDL member - completely against your rational self-interest.
    Agreed 100%. I would just add though that Western feminism clearly has nothing to do with women's rights, because it virtually ignores the large amount of violent persecution of women happening right now in the world.

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree.

ReputationRep:
    All this overly femenist/pc/trans crap is starting to irritate me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    As soon as boys started regularly using our toilets in our (female) uni house, cleaning them became a lot more disgusting. That's all I'm going to say.
    No-one cares for your anecdote.

But since we're using them, the amount of women who claim to 'hover' over toilets says a lot for the sitting principle. Women who use women only toilets I might add.

Crazy neo-feminists be crazy is what I'm taking from this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
    No-one cares for your anecdote.

But since we're using them, the amount of women who claim to 'hover' over toilets says a lot for the sitting principle. Women who use women only toilets I might add.

Crazy neo-feminists be crazy is what I'm taking from this thread.
    Only old women who were brought up in a bizarre phase of ignorance (and possibly a few people who were caught by the AIDS fear frenzy in the 80s) developed the hovering habit. They also happen to be the only cause of anyone else finding women's public toilets unpleasant. They dribble on the seat while hovering. If everyone sat down, women's toilets would be absolutely perfect.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds really emasculating and I propose anyone who tries to enforce this in toilets, those toilets get their seats and floor completely covered in piss.

Tbh public toilets are horrible, but in public places like clubs there's no way to ensure they stay clean because of the drunks. In Bournemouth there is a bar/club called Sound Circus and it has the most disgusting toilets I have ever been into. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Completely soaked floor, only a bar of soap to wash with, never any toilet paper in cubicles (I'd never take a dump in a club, never want to touch a toilet) and broken locks on the doors. The walls and doors are painted black which I can only imagine how much grime that is hiding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    Source: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/352108

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...ref=weird-news

This is one of the biggest jokes I've ever heard. Then again, I shouldn't be entirely surprised coming from Scandinavian feminists.
    I personally think there is some truth behind this. I have walked into a cubicle to see pee on the toilet seat which has put me off using the toilet. Some men just can't seem to understand the concept of lifting the seat when going for a pee If men were made to sit while peeing, then such cubicle encounters would not happen. However, there is no way to enforce such a law and no men would obey it :lol: But pee on toilet seats in cubicles does aggravate me but can easily be avoided if men simply lifted the seat >_<

Also, I think it is wrong to blame this all on Feminists. I am not aware of the toilets in Sweden but in Germany, the traditional germanic styles toilets are designed in such a way that men cannot stand up and pee. If one attempts to do so, it usually results in pee spraying all outside the toilet bowl.

Traditional Anglo-Saxon style toilet

Traditional Germanic style Toilet

The traditional Germanic toilet was designed to be efficient and use the least amount of water. The toilet also allowed for one to inspect their excrement for any problems. However, the one major fall-back was that men could not stand and pee. Many signs in traditional Germanic style public toilets will display a similar sign to the one below indicating that men must sit down and pee (also known as the Sitzpinkel).

The traditional Anglo-Saxon style toilets are designed in a way that allows men to stand and pee and thus I think we should utilize this unique feature of our toilets and be proud of it :pierre: I think the real issue here is a matter of etiquette, namely lifting the toilet seat.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 22, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.