Turn on thread page Beta

I'm in love with someone online. Is this wrong? But it feels like love! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John0020)
    what do you mean exactly?
    Do I really have to spell this out for you? Your friend is likely your secret lover.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caedus)
    Do I really have to spell this out for you? Your friend is likely your secret lover.
    Noway that'd be beyond strange. I think my friend was just taking the piss and sending me the link to a show that ironically links to my situation

ReputationRep:
    Noway that'd be beyond strange. I think my friend was just taking the piss and sending me the link to a show that ironically links to my situation
    If you've discussed it with him then perhaps, yes. Why don't you give this lady friend of yours a call, if you've been chatting away for 9 months you'll have her mobile number.

ReputationRep:
    ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Catfished

ReputationRep:
    'Kin' ell.

If you think it is then yeah.

ReputationRep:
    9 months? She would have gotten a new webcam after 1 or 2 months

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

So here's my predicament. I've been in a relationship for just over 9 months now and I'm deeply in love. We share the same interests, passions and our outlook on life is the same too. Plus she is beautiful too. The thing is we haven't met yet. I think it's because of our university commitments; I study at Brunel and she is at Glasgow. We speak everyday via email and Facebook, she makes my days so much better But I want to meet her so bad now, but it hasn't happened... Am I being ridiculous? Or have I actually found true love?
    Dude.... Hate to burst ur bubble but she is showing the symptoms of a Catfish!!!! LEARN FROM THE SHOW. No offence bro but i agree with the post i've quoted below urs follow her advice.

(Original post by beccac94)
    Ask her to take a picture of herself holding a piece of paper with your name and the date on it, that's always a good tester for a catfish.
    LOVE THE SHOW!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zohaib01)
    Webcam isn't working thats the biggest lie ever!
    Webcam can be awful. Not all of us are blessed with super duper webcams that make us look like real human beings rather than grainy ciphers.

I don't like using webcam even with people I know very well, for the simple reason I don't think it's representational.

There are other ways to do these things. Talking on the phone or Skype is one way. Clearly, Facebook is another -- when you see that they have friends and photos and so on.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Thanks for your advice. Yeah if I'm honest it's more of a hale storm, rather than just raining on my parade, but I guess you have a good point.
    It'd be too hard to just log off and walk away, I really want to meet her to see if things can work in reality. Have you done something like this before? If so do you have any further advice and what to expect? Thank you
    Meet her - it might work out - don't just run away - but(and I'm sorry about this) you physically can't fall in love without meeting the other person​ - she will be a little different in real life, but that doesn't mean you won't like her.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

So here's my predicament. I've been in a relationship for just over 9 months now and I'm deeply in love. We share the same interests, passions and our outlook on life is the same too. Plus she is beautiful too. The thing is we haven't met yet. I think it's because of our university commitments; I study at Brunel and she is at Glasgow. We speak everyday via email and Facebook, she makes my days so much better But I want to meet her so bad now, but it hasn't happened... Am I being ridiculous? Or have I actually found true love?
    For a plethora of reasons I wouldn't consider a purely online 'relationship' real in any sense of the word, and I definitely wouldn't consider love a viable word for feelings therein. At best you're infatuated with a fantasy idea of a partner but hey-ho.

Different strokes for different folks and you;re free to pursue your relationships as you see fit.

I'd suggest meeting up as soon as is realistically possible, if only so you can actually sort of get a feel for the prospects of a real relationship, and see if there is anything there (you could very well be convincing yourself you;re madly in love when in reality you guys may even find being in each others company sort of awkward and weird).

It'll also help you gauge whether she is 1) on the same page as you and 2) actually who she says she is.

Best of luck OP.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't read through all the messages but are you sure the girl is real? Catfishing does seem to run rampant and people can easily be tricked by a pretty/handsome face.

ReputationRep:
    What evidence do you have that she's not a catfish? (Just curious) seeing as her webcam 'doesn't work'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I will Just been asking a friend for advice too, however she told me to contact catfish as well!?! I literally just been watching some of the shows and it did get me worried. I messaged Sam (the girl I'm in a relationship with) and she just found the whole catfish thing hilarious, so that reassured me.
    Did you surmise this from a written response? She may have been secretly bricking it while writing whatever she said.

Honestly OP, you need to try and ensure that this girl is who she says she is. You can try and run a search on her images to see if they turn up elsewhere on the web, for a start. Also, as you've messaged her asking to meet up, if she says no - for any reason - just say that, as silly as it sounds, you'd like some proof of who she is. Explain that not being able to use a webcam and not being willing to meet up has made you wonder, or say that a friend has put the idea in your head. Also, might be a good idea to say that no matter what she looks like, you love and value her for who she is, blah blah blah. SO that if she does have anything to come clean about, she'll feel reassured about the whole thing. Even if it doesn't ultimately turn out to be true... Acknowledge that you might be being daft, try not to sound accusatory or overly suspicious, and see what her response is like.

Also, you've heard her voice on the phone, right...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ndClass)
    Catfished
    twitter.com/uk_catfish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La_Boheme)
    I didn't read through all the messages but are you sure the girl is real? Catfishing does seem to run rampant and people can easily be tricked by a pretty/handsome face.
    Well speaking from my emotions I know she is real as we've had so many conversations online and spoke about so many things that connect us together. But when I think rationally, I guess I cannot know whether she is real or not? This whole catfishing thing has been mentioned to me a lot recently, and it's not filling me wit confidence. For example check this out: twitter.com/uk_catfish

ReputationRep:
    It's actually surprisingly easy to "find love" online, because we're able to create a persona that fits what the other person is looking for perfectly.

If your relationship remained online forever then it might work, but it's almost certain that if you meet up you'll be different in person, and find that there are things that you don't like about each other.

Also, if you've never seen this girl then that's worrying. She's probably a 40 year old man (possibly wearing a dress with pigtails).

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why you are all saying that people are different in person compared to online. Not everyone lies, you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musie Suzie)
    Did you surmise this from a written response? She may have been secretly bricking it while writing whatever she said.

Honestly OP, you need to try and ensure that this girl is who she says she is. You can try and run a search on her images to see if they turn up elsewhere on the web, for a start. Also, as you've messaged her asking to meet up, if she says no - for any reason - just say that, as silly as it sounds, you'd like some proof of who she is. Explain that not being able to use a webcam and not being willing to meet up has made you wonder, or say that a friend has put the idea in your head. Also, might be a good idea to say that no matter what she looks like, you love and value her for who she is, blah blah blah. SO that if she does have anything to come clean about, she'll feel reassured about the whole thing. Even if it doesn't ultimately turn out to be true... Acknowledge that you might be being daft, try not to sound accusatory or overly suspicious, and see what her response is like.

Also, you've heard her voice on the phone, right...?
    Thanks for that. You're very right. Yes I did summarize her response from an email she sent me. We have spoken on the phone, but not as often as we email, no where near as often in all honesty. I have emailed her asking to meet up again and I have also explained my suspicions saying that a friend put the idea in my head. I hope this can be all sorted out asap as I really just want to be in a proper relationship with her now.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 25, 2013
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.