Can Columbia/Belgium win the World Cup Watch

Kutta
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by UniMastermindBOSS)
Why don't people realise that having good players doesn't make a good team...

It certainly helps.....
UniMastermindBOSS
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Soft Cat)
No new team will win the World Cup in my opinion. England always have a chance depending on the luck of the draw and if miracles happen between now and June. I'd certainly tip them ahead of Belgium who have been unproven in a major tournament and haven't played in one since 2002. Colombia are a flash in the pan and I expect them to fail to get out of their group.

Belgium may well progress but won't win it.

My money is on Germany, Spain or Italy.
No Brazil?

(Original post by manchesterunited15)
So your logic for ruling out Spain is "they're really good and have been for a long time"? :lolwut:
Everybody knows how Spain play now. We could should have knocked them out of the confederation cup if we had Balo (or Rossi, or anyone except Gilardino up front), and then they were torn apart by Brazil in the final
UniMastermindBOSS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kutta)
It certainly helps.....
True but how well they play together is more important imo (I mean 11 good players obviously)
9MmBulletz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by UniMastermindBOSS)
No Brazil?

Everybody knows how Spain play now. We could should have knocked them out of the confederation cup if we had Balo (or Rossi, or anyone except Gilardino up front), and then they were torn apart by Brazil in the final
Minus the 4-0 mauling at the Euro 2012 final, Italy play a style of football that Spain often struggle with. In Euro 2008, you guys lost on penalties to Spain, and drew in the hroup stage at last year's one.

In the confederations cup, you guys played well in 90 minutes. But Spain's play also means that often teams are too tired to continue into extra time (if you watched Portugal vs Spain Euro 2012). I remember Spain creating 4 or so chances i extra time while Italy created one at best and Spain could have easily won comfortably in extra time.

With Brazil, they have the right kinda players to counter Spain's style. Fast, athletic players with loads of stamina who can close the ball quickly and run tirelessly for 90 minutes. If you look at all their players, they all have a bit of speed about them. Hulk, Neymar, Oscar, Ramires, Marcelo, Alves and even their centre backs Silva and Luiz are reasonably quick.

I'd still say Spain are favourites, although Germany seem to be improving all the time, seeing as their crop of talent are going to be 24-25 by this year's World Cup (Reus, Ozil, Muller,Kroos, Hummels) and in another World Cup, these guys will be at their peaks, while Spain's are going to be 28+ in 2014, and most will have been phased out by the next World Cup.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Whatever happens I just hope Spain don't win it. I'm sick of them, sick of the dramatics and sick of the bandwagon ****fest over them. Hope they get ****ing eliminated in the group stages.
Bronco2012
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by manchesterunited15)
So your logic for ruling out Spain is "they're really good and have been for a long time"? :lolwut:
I didn't rule them out, but my hunch is they lose.
The Assassin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
=
(Original post by Zürich)
Dont watch Columbia but some of my Columbian mates are raving about them big time, reckon they have the attack to open up any team in the world on their day so look forward to watching them play.

Belgium much too raw really. Their defence/gk is world class but in the middle of the park they seem to have an overload of the same kind of B2B midfielder in Dembele/Fellaini/Witsel and not enough technically gifted AMs, De Bruyne is OK I guess but he's not going to win you a world cup. Hazard/Benteke/Lukaku good enough for the semis too.
Not sure how much you've watched Belgium but De Bruyne has outplayed Hazard in every game they've played together bar one. He practically saved Bremen from relegation last year so I'm not sure why he's doing poorly right now.

He's more than just a decent player
Theflyingbarney
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Belgium will have overachieved if they make the semi-finals next summer; I'd expect them to go out in the 2nd round/quarters. They have some decent enough players but their team is still pretty young and inexperienced compared to the very top ones. In Russia in 2018 they might stand a chance of going all the way, depending on how well they get on in the meantime.

Colombia I'd be surprised if they made the quarters. Apart from Falcao, Martinez and Rodriguez their team looks pretty average and their defence in particular leaves a lot to be desired.

I fancy the four semi-finalists to be Brazil, Spain, Argentina and Germany, and of those four I think Germany are most likely to win it...
Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The Assassin)
=

Not sure how much you've watched Belgium but De Bruyne has outplayed Hazard in every game they've played together bar one. He practically saved Bremen from relegation last year so I'm not sure why he's doing poorly right now.

He's more than just a decent player
He's not World Cup winning quality is what I mean.

Hazard has been abysmal this season though I agree.
xxbradkennedyxx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Theflyingbarney)
Belgium will have overachieved if they make the semi-finals next summer; I'd expect them to go out in the 2nd round/quarters. They have some decent enough players but their team is still pretty young and inexperienced compared to the very top ones. In Russia in 2018 they might stand a chance of going all the way, depending on how well they get on in the meantime.

Colombia I'd be surprised if they made the quarters. Apart from Falcao, Martinez and Rodriguez their team looks pretty average and their defence in particular leaves a lot to be desired.

I fancy the four semi-finalists to be Brazil, Spain, Argentina and Germany, and of those four I think Germany are most likely to win it...
I know this is a couple of weeks old but colombia had the best defense in qualifying, conceding 13 in 16. Kept out argentina in buenos aires etc, just because they don't have big name defenders doesn't make them bad, they're a fantastic defensive unit. They kept clean sheets in their last 2 friendlies away at belgium and netherlands. A front 3 of Cuadrado, Falcao, James will cause problems against any team and they have the likes of Luis Muriel, Jackson Martinez, Ibarbo etc to come off the bench.
9MmBulletz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Zürich)
He's not World Cup winning quality is what I mean.

Hazard has been abysmal this season though I agree.
Oh really?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (143)
21.22%
The paper was reasonable (329)
48.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (126)
18.69%
It was TERRIBLE (76)
11.28%

Watched Threads