Report 5 years ago
What a stuck up ***** she is
SoftPunch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rock Fan)
If this bothers you so much then why are you with him, let the poor guy go. Just because he isn't intelligent in some things doesn't mean he is not intelligent in other things, fair play for him not giving up at least, almost like you are ashamed to be with him.
She really didn't come across as feeling ashamed of him...to me. To me she came across as just being fed up. But yes - she probably should break the relationship for the better of all. She felt the need to ask strangers' opinions on this subject, indicating that she is looking for validations; for people to approve her plan. Sooner or later she is gonna break up with him anyhow - at least this is how I see it.
SoftPunch
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
This is kind of mean. Not knowing who the Queen of England is is definitely not a sign of a lack of intelligence. My ex thought that clocks in the southern hemisphere ran backwards because of that episode in the Simpsons where the toilets flush the wrong way (apparently he thought the same principle applies...) and he's now doing a PhD in Physics. Make of that what you will.
What's your point? He may be smart in physics (although that depends on uni he is in too), but that doesn't mean he is smart in everyday life things. It doesn't mean just because I may know a lot about one subject I am well-rounded in all others. Misleading!
It's silly to expect someone to know everything about daily life issues, but that is kinda weird that he thought so.
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SoftPunch)
What's your point? He may be smart in physics (although that depends on uni he is in too), but that doesn't mean he is smart in everyday life things.
It's silly to expect someone to know everything about daily life issues, but that is kinda weird that he thought so.
My POINT is that although someone might not have any common sense, or know much about the world doesn't necessarily make them a "bit thick" which is frankly a mean thing to say about someone you purport to love.
SoftPunch
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My POINT is that although someone might not have any common sense, or know much about the world doesn't necessarily make them a "bit thick" which is frankly a mean thing to say about someone you purport to love.
I disagree. One shouldn't just not be critical of another, just because they love them. In fact, if I love someone, I want the best for them. If that involves me giving constructive criticism to them in order for them to improve, I'd do exactly that. That doesn't mean I am trying to put them down, it means I want them to see their flaws and get rid of them for the better.
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sherlock-05)
Hi fellow students

I'm 20 years old and my boyfriend, of almost a year, is 21.
We were friends for 2 years and met in University.
And i love him to pieces!
But recently i've noticed something that has been shocking me.

I've always known that my boyfriend is dyslexic and i've been totally fine with that. I even help him with his essay writing. He wants to be a teacher, which I think, is BRILLIANT! and i totally support his brave and noble decision.

I know a few dyslexics, and all are very intelligent. But my boyfriend isn't as intelligent and i DONT think its due to dyslexia....

Recently i realised that he thought Queen Victoria was our current queen!
And he isnt aware of any history, geography, or much science.

I love him still, but i cant help think deep down i would want my children to have more of a grasp than him, I hate thinking this but sometimes what comes out of his mouth shocks me. Its almost as if i have to teach him things myself, for example; how to iron a shirt, how to use a cooker and a tumble dryer, and how to actually speak properly. Because sometimes in public, when he says things, people look at us and laugh.. Its so embarrassing and my heart breaks when i see him oblivious to it.

He comes from a working class background and i come from a middle class background. Ive met his family and they are worse than him, i don't think they care much for education, but in my family it was firmly disciplined. I also believe that his family are dyslexic too.Their English is quite bad.
I feel awful bringing this up but i tried to gently put it to him, that if we had kids, (which he is eager to have) i would want them to have a proper education and to achieve good grades, and to not be limited by his family's background of no education.

He gets very defensive of his family, and i find it very hard to put it to him that his family aren't exactly Einsteins.

I only achieved a few A's, then more B's and C's, so i don't expect him to be a genius.

This is putting a real strain on our relationship and i feel that in the future, we might end up being an uneducated chav family, like his family if i don't try and push him to reach his full potential which i really believe he has.

Help!
Too thick? Use vaseline. It will go in smoothly.
SoftPunch
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
Too thick? Use vaseline. It will go in smoothly.
Yuck. :puke: Typical Juichiro response though
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yuck. :puke: Typical Juichiro response though
Don't you like my beautiful metaphors, my dear Softie? :redrose:

P.S. Typical Juichiro response? :confused:
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A couple of years ago the OP thought SHE was dyslexic or dyspraxic... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...849&highlight=
SophiaKeuning
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lol, despite him being brought up in a 'family of chavs' who can't speak properly and despite you being brought up by a family intense about education you both ended up at the same uni? Sounds to me like he's more naturally intelligent than you.

And people don't stare at him when you're out, you just think they do because it's actually you that are embarrassed and think he's ridiculous...
SoftPunch
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
Don't you like my beautiful metaphors, my dear Softie? :redrose:

P.S. Typical Juichiro response? :confused:
Yes, that is your username is it not?
I simply just LOVE your buff metaphors!... :coma: :drool:
rock_climber86
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sherlock-05)
Spoiler:
Show
Hi fellow students

I'm 20 years old and my boyfriend, of almost a year, is 21.
We were friends for 2 years and met in University.
And i love him to pieces!
But recently i've noticed something that has been shocking me.

I've always known that my boyfriend is dyslexic and i've been totally fine with that. I even help him with his essay writing. He wants to be a teacher, which I think, is BRILLIANT! and i totally support his brave and noble decision.

I know a few dyslexics, and all are very intelligent. But my boyfriend isn't as intelligent and i DONT think its due to dyslexia....

Recently i realised that he thought Queen Victoria was our current queen!
And he isnt aware of any history, geography, or much science.

I love him still, but i cant help think deep down i would want my children to have more of a grasp than him, I hate thinking this but sometimes what comes out of his mouth shocks me. Its almost as if i have to teach him things myself, for example; how to iron a shirt, how to use a cooker and a tumble dryer, and how to actually speak properly. Because sometimes in public, when he says things, people look at us and laugh.. Its so embarrassing and my heart breaks when i see him oblivious to it.

He comes from a working class background and i come from a middle class background. Ive met his family and they are worse than him, i don't think they care much for education, but in my family it was firmly disciplined. I also believe that his family are dyslexic too.Their English is quite bad.
I feel awful bringing this up but i tried to gently put it to him, that if we had kids, (which he is eager to have) i would want them to have a proper education and to achieve good grades, and to not be limited by his family's background of no education.

He gets very defensive of his family, and i find it very hard to put it to him that his family aren't exactly Einsteins.

I only achieved a few A's, then more B's and C's, so i don't expect him to be a genius.

Spoiler:
Show
This is putting a real strain on our relationship and i feel that in the future, we might end up being an uneducated chav family, like his family if i don't try and push him to reach his full potential which i really believe he has.

Help!
Beggers can't be choosers love. Drop the attitude and be grateful you have him with your b's and c's
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I disagree. One shouldn't just not be critical of another, just because they love them. In fact, if I love someone, I want the best for them. If that involves me giving constructive criticism to them in order for them to improve, I'd do exactly that. That doesn't mean I am trying to put them down, it means I want them to see their flaws and get rid of them for the better.
I agree to a point, but if she genuinely thinks he's stupid, how is pointing this out going to help (and bringing his family into it to boot!)? "Dear, you know I love you, but DO try and be a bit smarter, would you?"
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, that is your username is it not?
I simply just LOVE your buff metaphors!... :coma: :drool:
Thanks. :pierre:
littlesmurfette
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by EmmaJaneTaylor)
You've just humiliated your boyfriend on the internet for everyone to see and he doesn't even know. What if he gets an account, sees this and kicks your a** to the pavement? That'd be a shame.
My thoughts exactly.
SoftPunch
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree to a point, but if she genuinely thinks he's stupid, how is pointing this out going to help (and bringing his family into it to boot!)? "Dear, you know I love you, but DO try and be a bit smarter, would you?"
I see what you mean - but I don't see any wrong in what she wrote :dontknow:
She couldn't just make a thread saying ''I want to break up with my bf. Should I?''
She had to give reasons - which is just simply exactly what she did.
The reasons may sound like she is a mean person, however they are her opinions and mean or not, are still reasons.
BobLoblawLawBlog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is this your boyfriend?

stephie.u3
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't worry, it could be worse... You know how rice expands as it's cooked?? Yeah, well, my best friend's boyfriend thought it was cos rice multiplies...Multipliess!! He genuinely put four grains of rice in a pan and asked if that would make enough for one person. :facepalm:

I'd count yourself lucky if I were you.
nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's nothing to do with his dyslexia. My boyfriend is severely dyslexic. He got average grades, but if he had to write his own essays on history/politics/religion he would've failed. But if the exam was oral then he probably would've got A*s. It's probably because his family doesn't value education as much as yours and don't watch tv documentaries and the news etc. But he's achieved so much if he's at university and sounds as if he deserves someone that isn't such a snob. You should love him for who he is and not want to patronisingly teach him stuff as if he's a small stupid child.
SpicyStrawberry
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Surely if you are from a privileged middle class family where education is important, and your boyfriend has dyslexia and comes from a working class family who didn't bother with education, he has done tremendously well given his circumstances to be where he is today, at the same university as you? He has had a harder job getting into uni than you, so I would hardly say he was stupid.

Sure, his general knowledge isn't that great and he needs house training, but that doesn't make him stupid. Knowledge =/= intelligence. He's probably cognitively able to understand things he learns, but just hasn't got round to learning about these things you consider important.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (163)
22.27%
The paper was reasonable (348)
47.54%
Not feeling great about that exam... (137)
18.72%
It was TERRIBLE (84)
11.48%

Watched Threads