Poll: Do you think sexuality is a lifestyle choice? Watch

Poll: Do you believe sexuality is a choice?
Yes, I believe sexuality is a choice. (11)
12.36%
No, I believe sexuality is innate and cannot be chosen. (78)
87.64%
Olie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd be interested to see one of the 9 people explain why on earth they voted yes. Cause the idea that someone would choose to be homosexual and risk the discrimination and bullying that can come with being different in that way is utterly ludicrous.
blurrygirl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The Angry Stoic)
Obviously sexuality isn't a choice but it is a choice have a gay lifestyle. As in to have gay sex just as it is a choice to have normal sex.
I think this is a really fair point. Having homosexual feelings probably isn't a choice, but then acting on them is, if that makes sense.
buchanan700
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Watch Key Phone)
What about people who are bisexual, asexual, non-binary genders?
(Original post by SecretDuck)
What about bisexuals?
Well I feel as if I've done enough quoting from the book. Basically its all about the different hormone levels you receive. I tend to think, based on reading it, that bisexuals, non-binary genders are somewhere in-between the amount of hormone you receive to be fully gay or straight, or the amount you receive to become male or female. That's just sense I think - it's all a gay (HAHA typo, but didn't want to edit it out - GREY area :P) area and there are many different combinations of behaviours and genders that can result in hormones being put in to foetus, especially when the hormones can affect parts of the brain responsible for different things - it's not a set amount. Which makes sense really, it's (sexuality and gender/sex) a fluid spectrum, not a set of solid categories.

As for asexuals...genuinely not sure. That would have to be a seperate study purely speculation, perhaps they just don't recieve any hormones of any kind/ any activity in the part of the brain responsible for sex?

Anyway, to answer the OP question. No. It isn't a choice.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think sexuality is a choice. At least, partially.

I'm bisexual (although I may aswell be pansexual), and I honestly can't imagine why someone would be anything other than that. Maybe ''choice'' isn't the best word for it. But whatever your sexuality is, I feel that it's heavily influenced by the environment around you.

That being said, sexuality being a ''choice'', or 'environment driven', does not make any sexuality wrong.
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
no it's not a choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 2ndClass)
Yeah I've noticed being bisexual amongst girls has turned into a fashion trend tbh.
maybe for some but certainly not all. I certainly wouldn't choose to be bisexual given that my cultural upbringing frowns upon it but I am and there's nothing I could do about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alesha1991
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't see how it can be a choice really. I'm bisexual as well and I know I didn't make a conscious decision to be & I didn't adopt it as a fashion trend. It's just how I turned out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (222)
22.72%
The paper was reasonable (441)
45.14%
Not feeling great about that exam... (176)
18.01%
It was TERRIBLE (138)
14.12%

Watched Threads