Why should we help African countries? Watch

Jjj90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Agapelove)
African countries should not have been invaded and conquered and colonized by other people groups. Would you like it if your country were conquered, invaded, mined and used for the benefit of another people group whose country is far away? I sure wouldn't.

The Golden Rule of doing to others what you would have them do to you applies in every area of life, including in helping countries in need. Would your country appreciate help if it had been conquered and colonized by another group of people, then left destitute and in disarray? Yes.

It's important to help African countries because we would like help if in the same situation. The Golden rule of doing unto others as we would like them to do unto us is vital for true peace in the world.

Helping others is a part of the good side of humanity. All people are humans. We are the human race. While there are ethnicity differences and cultural differences, we all are of the same species. Love is real, and we all are capable of loving each other and helping each other, no matter what is our country of origin.
It isn't as simple as that, colonization was very gradual, it was more about trade than expansionism and people believed they were doing a great good in spreading Christianity to the 'heathen'. It's very easy to say what should and shouldn't have happened, but we have the benefit of hundreds of years of hindsight and a much more liberal mindset.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tengentoppa)
The consensus amongst many is that richer countries have a responsibility to help poorer countries, such as those in Africa. Why is this?

African countries were very keen to overthrow their colonial rulers, but the post-colonial era has been disastrous for Africa, with corruption, war and famine. Then, when it becomes apparent that these countries are unfit to rule themselves, we are asked to help them by donating money which makes no difference whatsoever.

African countries are the way they are because of incompetent leadership. These are sovereign nations and so should be responsible for the care of people. Why should rich countries, who have managed to successfully govern their land, be forced to help countries which have been unable to do so?

African countries made their bed by kicking out colonial powers, now they should sleep in it and try and sort themselves out rather than asking for money from successful nations.

Thoughts?
When it comes to Africa i am at times reminded of the saying.. "You can't help somebody who doesn't want your help". While i am glad to say that the situation in Africa is now improving rather rapidly with notable examples of Angola, Nigeria and Tanzania (even talk of various political unions) the fact is that there are still areas with significant problems. South Africa today is not the shining light it was 20 years ago, there is still some unrest in the Congo and parts of North Africa are infested by terrorists with failed states like Somalia complicating the situation.

Generally i support the aid budget because it's fairly small and forces government to cut spending in areas that actually need cuts but i'm not overly attached to it and would be happy with a reduction to £2bn. I would however rather like us to look at free trade treaties with the countries below which i think have fair potential in addition to those which share a Mediterranean coastline.

Ivory Coast
Nigeria
Congo
Congo Republic
Angola

These countries i think probably have the best long term economic potential with large resources and large labour forces though i'm also interested in the potential East African Federation (although talk is that there are so many countries wishing to join that Tanzania may go it alone with Rwanda and the Congo Republic while the rest group together (Kenya, Uganda, Ethiopia and more).
hannah60000
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You should not give us governmental aid it is not helpful neither is the IMF's money. This paternalistic attitude of European governments is hella annoying and keeps Africa back.

The real reason European governments "help" Africa is for there own wealth gains.

Sad truth.

FYI

The aid is so 'great' that he kidney sent to Africa from individuals from the diaspora is more than foreign (governmental) aid combined from all countries. Funny that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Skip_Snip
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The real question is, why should we waste money on other countries when people here are destitute, and when our own economy is a pile of *******s?

And regarding "it being the West's fault due to colonisation" - no-one alive had anything to do with that, so it's not our fault, so we shouldn't have to pay for it.
mstone12
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Agapelove)
African countries should not have been invaded and conquered and colonized by other people groups. Would you like it if your country were conquered, invaded, mined and used for the benefit of another people group whose country is far away? I sure wouldn't.

The Golden Rule of doing to others what you would have them do to you applies in every area of life, including in helping countries in need. Would your country appreciate help if it had been conquered and colonized by another group of people, then left destitute and in disarray? Yes.

It's important to help African countries because we would like help if in the same situation. The Golden rule of doing unto others as we would like them to do unto us is vital for true peace in the world.

Helping others is a part of the good side of humanity. All people are humans. We are the human race. While there are ethnicity differences and cultural differences, we all are of the same species. Love is real, and we all are capable of loving each other and helping each other, no matter what is our country of origin.
the romans did that here saxons also etc
anonYOLO
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
leave them to or dig a big hole and put them in there with on pice of chinkein and one knife and who ever wins shoot them in the head
the mezzil
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hajinator)
Cos they got rich off Africa? They exploited and in some cases continue to exploit wartorn countries in Africa to fatten their wallets. Aid is their obligation to Africa.
Who is they? I didn't colonise Africa. I am British. I don't have a fat wallet. I don't tell Africans to kill each other. Not my problem, I don't have any obligation. They are not my people, and they would not do the same for us if the position was reversed.
JamesGibson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There are children dying right now in Africa, starving of Hunger and living awful lives. That's why.
zjs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This argument reminds me of America's argument about Cubans living standards being poor. It's regularly brought up as an example of Castro's 'dictatorship', of Cubans not being free and of Communism completely failing in Cuba. It somewhat conveniently ignores the 50 year blockade by the most powerful country in the world, which also happens to be right next to it.

In the same way, blaming African countries for not managing their wealth properly ignores the fact that Western businesses exploit the land, natural assets, people and even governments; let alone what the West did in Africa for the several hundred years proceeding this. Enormous economic and cultural shifts don't happen overnight.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by zjs)
This argument reminds me of America's argument about Cubans living standards being poor. It's regularly brought up as an example of Castro's 'dictatorship', of Cubans not being free and of Communism completely failing in Cuba. It somewhat conveniently ignores the 50 year blockade by the most powerful country in the world, which also happens to be right next to it.

In the same way, blaming African countries for not managing their wealth properly ignores the fact that Western businesses exploit the land, natural assets, people and even governments; let alone what the West did in Africa for the several hundred years proceeding this. Enormous economic and cultural shifts don't happen overnight.
While there is some validity to this point this can only really explain the first 10-20 years of independence as they 'find their feet' so to speak. For the most part their own poor management and attitudes are what have held them back.

I'd add though that Africa is now coming of age, in 10 years Angola (population of only around 20 million) has gone from being one of the poorest countries in Africa to the 5th richest and booming (fastest growing economy between 2000-2010), Ghana is now the biggest gold exporter in the world and Nigeria has the potential to become one of the largest economies in the world. Over even this decade remarkable change is occurring as in large parts corrupt dictatorships have given way to democracy and the continent has begun to embrace capitalism in addition to showing signs of unification.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (104)
19.01%
The paper was reasonable (275)
50.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (109)
19.93%
It was TERRIBLE (59)
10.79%

Watched Threads