Is it morally wrong to go on holiday with 2 billion people under the poverty line? Watch

Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Alfissti)

You haven't been out much have you? Vast majority of poorer countries has a "foreigner price" and a local price, you can be sure that the prices quoted to you as a foreigner will be significantly higher, many times up to 10x more. This goes from everything including bottled water, taxi fares and most definitely souvenirs. In fact that rickshaw or most likely taxi driver wouldn't be using the meter instead would tell you it is broken or probably rigged to move faster, if it isn't then probably you would be brought using the longest route.... the latter happens in many developed countries too

Therefore no... I'm bargaining to get the best deal so I could spend more time at the spa
I've been out a great deal and you're not getting something fundamental. It doesn't surprise me, because lots of people don't.

It depends on which country and the precise context, but in many countries, the high tourist price is absolutely essential to many local people to maintain even a basic standard of living. This isn't true everywhere, but it definitely has some truth in very poor countries.

When you as a wealthy westerner from one of the wealthiest countries in the world (Norway) are haggling over a rickshaw price to try and get the 'local' price, you are being arrogant, spoiled and decadent. You are ignoring the vital part that western tourism plays in lifting the living standards of those countries and the many workers who service tourists and their extended families, often totally relying on those 'increased charges' (which to you are most probably an entirely trivial difference) to make the difference between absolute grinding poverty and a hope of advancement, access to healthcare, better diet and education.

You really don't get it, so don't lecture me about my lack of experience in that patronising manner.
wag12k12dunkno
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
no
ChaosisaLadder
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm an egoist and I'm pretty sold on psychological egoism too. I mean look at this thread, so many people making up excuses about why they can't go without luxuries and even kidding themselves into thinking they are the same as oxygen when they know exactly what is meant by luxuries.

People are inherently selfish not altruistic. Even altruism usually serves the individual. The sooner people stop making up these ridiculous excuses and accept that they are selfish the better. There is nothing altruistic about owning a computer or laptop while children are starving, sorry.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
At first I thought: Going on holiday with 2 billion people under the poverty line? That's very generous of you!

But then I actually read the thread. oh.

People may be starving in africa but if my bread starts to grow mould I'm not keeping it.
Spoiler:
Show
Mouldy bread is not a common occurrence for me anyway, I usually don't have enough bread to last me a week
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (201)
22.09%
The paper was reasonable (388)
42.64%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
19.12%
It was TERRIBLE (147)
16.15%

Watched Threads