Turn on thread page Beta

Opinions on Medhi Hassan? watch

• View Poll Results: Opinons on Medhi Hassan? Explain why in the thread.
    I like him.
    61.76%
    I dislike him.
    23.53%
    I like/dislike him to some extent.
    8.82%
    Neutral.
    5.88%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by originaltitle)
    Mehdi Hassan is Shiite so he must at one point or another be a hypocrite; they've got this concept wherefore they must lie to get about in life.
    Yet again, My God.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rational Thinker)
    Compared to extremists like Al Mudarri who marginalise LGBT people, I think moderate can describe Hassan. Medhi has condemned terrorist attacks unlike Mudarri. I do not agree with Hassan's views over abortion but he does seem relatively moderate.
    I suppose you could get away with calling him "relatively moderate", but I do think he is much more sinister than a lot of people give him credit for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truefaith)
    Yet again, My God.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Er it's true. It has a name too which escapes me atm. Something with a Q and a T.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, however I will play Devils advocate here and ask you what your opinion about this letter, http://www.anorak.co.uk/369161/news/...or-a-job.html/
    Ooft, I love playing devil's advocate, glad to see I'm not the only one

I think it's odd that he'd apply to the Daily Mail after saying bad things about it, but he obviously thinks that he can add a bit of variety to what they say and add his own views. Don't really disagree with anything he's said on there, he's entitled to think abortion is wrong and be critical of labour's leadership candidates and he's not said anything offensive about anyone. Yeah he's a bit of a hypocrite, but no-one's perfect.

ReputationRep:
    Er it's true. It has a name too which escapes me atm. Something with a Q and a T.
    And your only source is yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    I suppose you could get away with calling him "relatively moderate", but I do think he is much more sinister than a lot of people give him credit for.
    I think there is something to this. However, he seems well educated and reasonable superficially at least.

ReputationRep:
    I think there is something to this. However, he seems well educated and reasonable superficially at least.
    That's the problem, people don't recognise that he is at least as crazily religious as George Bush (and politically, worse, in principle).

ReputationRep:
    I feel neutral towards him, I agree with him about as often as a disagree with him, I find him a little hypocritical (esp over the Daily Mail, even if his takedown of them was entertaining), I find he is more conservative that some are willing to admit (not that this is necessarily a bad thing), and I find he can be demigogic. He also has an annoying habit of interupting other people.

I think the whole 'Atheists are Cattle' (which let's face it, isn't any worse than many of the things Dawkins and Hitchens have said) thing was taken out of context, and using a 45 second clip from a 45 minute speech, the main thrust of which was against radical Islamism and praising the West, and using it to smear him as a radical Islamist, despite the fact he has repeatedly denounced it, seems a bit cheap.

ReputationRep:
    That's the problem, people don't recognise that he is at least as crazily religious as George Bush (and politically, worse, in principle).
    In terms of politics, how is it worse to be left wing than an evolution denying republican?

ReputationRep:
    In terms of politics, how is it worse to be left wing than an evolution denying republican?
    I wasn't referring to him being left wing, I was referring to him defending Iranian theocracy, or at least drawing moral equivalences between Iranian theocracy and democracy.

Also, Mehdi Hassan believes in things at least as bat**** crazy as evolution denial.

ReputationRep:
    i dont like him at all hes a hypocrite and a mug

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    Stop putting shias under one umbrella. I'm a sunni but i think thats unfair. You're basically implying all shias are like him. You should know better bro :curious:
    It's not about how all Shia's are like, it's about Shiasm. If a Muslim doesn't act like a Muslim should, it doesn't negate the fact that they're still Muslim.

Mehdi Hassan is a Shia, which is all I said.

So you're going to leap straight into religious sectarianism then?
    Sorry for stating the obvious.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't referring to him being left wing, I was referring to him defending Iranian theocracy, or at least drawing moral equivalences between Iranian theocracy and democracy.

Also, Mehdi Hassan believes in things at least as bat**** crazy as evolution denial.
    There are many people who deny Darwin's theory of evolution, scientists and non-scientists. There isn't anything bat**** crazy about that, it's called having an informed opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-Mudaari)
    It's not about how all Shia's are like, it's about Shiasm. If a Muslim doesn't act like a Muslim should, it doesn't negate the fact that they're still Muslim.

Mehdi Hassan is a Shia, which is all I said.

Sorry for stating the obvious.
    Tbh i doubt you understand shiaasm as you get your info from an anti shia source.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There are many people who deny Darwin's theory of evolution, scientists and non-scientists. There isn't anything bat**** crazy about that, it's called having an informed opinion.
    Believing that life did not evolve is about as stupid as believing that Earth is 6000 years old, or that the Sun revolves around the Earth. There are no good scientists who believe in creationism.

ReputationRep:
    Believing that life did not evolve is about as stupid as believing that Earth is 6000 years old, or that the Sun revolves around the Earth. There are no good scientists who believe in creationism.
    Are you a scientist, felamaslen? Are you a good scientist?
    I'm not an anthropologist or evolutionary biologist so I'm in no position to discuss Darwin's theory, which is in the end merely a theory, but just like you can't see God, you can't see human-apes at work. You can see remnants of such supposed creatures and you can make all sorts of wonderful theories, but they will in the end be mere theories.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an anthropologist or evolutionary biologist so I'm in no position to discuss Darwin's theory, which is in the end merely a theory, but just like you can't see God, you can't see human-apes at work. You can see remnants of such supposed creatures and you can make all sorts of wonderful theories, but they will in the end be mere theories.
    You do know gravity is a theory

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You do know gravity is a theory

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do, I study Physics
    Gravity is a tested theory. A theory that passes many tests becomes a law. It's the law of gravity, not theory.

ReputationRep:
    And your only source is yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Taqiyyah is a Shiite principle if I'm not much mistaken which allows a Shiite person to lie in order to save himself.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a scientist, but I do have a basic grasp over the scientific principle. The scientific principle is about gathering evidence and making valid conclusions from it. Where evolution is concerned, the evidence is rather more striking than "human-apes" as you put it. In fact the idea of a "human-ape" is contrary to evolution: from an evolutionary perspective, humans are apes. They are in the same clade as all the other great apes (hominidae). The evidence for common descent is overwhelming and present in not just the fossil record but many different biological molecules as well as geographical distributions and other lines of evidence. The evidence for natural selection as the major driving force of evolution is through experiment as well as logical reasoning. Please just do some basic research because you are making a fool out of yourself.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.