DECILES Watch

shiggydiggy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Democracy)
Out of interest, do you know what the weightings are for us?
This is something they've tried to explain to us before, but as far as I can tell they use some elaborate formula which is more complicated than any other medical school. They then input the numbers into The Enigma Machine, wait for saturn to align with venus and then they light the signals. The wizard that lives in the top floor of the Coventry primark then decides your fate and releases coloured smoke when he has made his decision. Then you end up at George Elliot due to a spreadsheet error.
carcinoma
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by shiggydiggy)
This is something they've tried to explain to us before, but as far as I can tell they use some elaborate formula which is more complicated than any other medical school. They then input the numbers into The Enigma Machine, wait for saturn to align with venus and then they light the signals. The wizard that lives in the top floor of the Coventry primark then decides your fate and releases coloured smoke when he has made his decision. Then you end up at George Elliot due to a spreadsheet error.
Surely they just use z scores like normal people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
shiggydiggy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by carcinoma)
Surely they just use z scores like normal people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't be ridiculous.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by shiggydiggy)
Funny, I thought that's how the pre-clinical examination scoring system worked...
groovyangel2008
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by My-My-My)
God knows how they cam up with these figures but at B'ham it's
Year 1 = 15.8%
Year 2 = 19.2%
Year 3 = 31.6%
Year 4 = 33.3%

For GEC it's
GEC 1 = 27.6%
GEC2 = 35.2%
GEC 3 = 37.1%

Thankyou!!!
TattyBoJangles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Medicine Man)
At BL, for deciles its:

1st Year = 25%
2nd Year = 25%
3rd Year = 25%
4th Year = 25%
5th Year = post FPAS so it's a standalone f/p/m/d

I think I prefer it this way where each year is equally weighted - by definition, it's a a more accurate snapshot of someone's ability over the duration of the course. That, and you roughly know where you stand by the end of 3rd year, give or take 1/2 decliles (unless you do exceptionally bad/well in 4th year to alter where you'd roughly be).
I don't suppose you have any idea of how it works for those who transfer there?
I'll be joining third year after having done three years here (St Andrews), so will they look at my pre-clinical rankings from here?
Medicine Man
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TattyBoJangles)
I don't suppose you have any idea of how it works for those who transfer there?
I'll be joining third year after having done three years here (St Andrews), so will they look at my pre-clinical rankings from here?
From what I understand, it's just an average of the years you have been at BL - so for you, it'll be Year 3 and 4.

Also, excuse my ignorance, but BL accept transfers from St Andrews? When did this start? I didn't realise there were other transfers than the Oxbridge ones in our year?
TattyBoJangles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Medicine Man)
From what I understand, it's just an average of the years you have been at BL - so for you, it'll be Year 3 and 4.

Also, excuse my ignorance, but BL accept transfers from St Andrews? When did this start? I didn't realise there were other transfers than the Oxbridge ones in our year?
Ah, thank you.

From this year! I think previously others have gone to Barts but there's been no official partnership so it was only a few per year and they had to have interviews and things. I think the pairing became official in April (I got a late offer from St Andrews as they said they needed to finalise some things in Barts), so I think our year is the first to have a proper pairing.
Won't be going there until 2016 though as I'm a first year.
Caponester
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
QUB is

1st year - approximately 10%
2nd year - approximately 20%
3rd year - approximately 30%
4th year - approximately 40%

All to play for in 3rd and 4th year. Not so much of an issue in the first 2 years as long as you keep with the peloton.
AreebWithaHat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
sheffield anyone?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (104)
19.05%
The paper was reasonable (274)
50.18%
Not feeling great about that exam... (109)
19.96%
It was TERRIBLE (59)
10.81%

Watched Threads