Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The attacker should be arrested and charged as any other assault would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    How do you know that they were left wing?
    The only way they can challenge opposite opinions is by violence and dissent.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why people get quite so worked up by Farage... the guy is a joke and this kind of anger should be reserved for people significantly more dangerous than that overblown ****.

This story will go nationwide only because of the Westminster press' ridiculous obsession with UKIP, the truth is when they have to make serious arguments they have been and will continue to be shown up for the idiots they are.

(Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
    The attacker should be arrested and charged as any other assault would.
    Honestly, the first time I watched it, I didn't even see him get hit. I seriously don't think any one would be convicted of assault for what was essentially a slap on the back of the head, unless of course our legal system is in the buisness of convicting someone on nothing buit moral outrage in the press.

(Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    The only way they can challenge opposite opinions is by violence and dissent.
    Remind me again of the KKK's many left wing policies...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    What? An assault is an assault. Moreover attempting to assign blame based on criteria such as the above would simply encourage thuggery towards those whom certain individuals wished to intimidate into changing their politics. If you can be intimidated or beaten into "changing" your political views then you are not in fact in control of them.
    Yes, an assault is definitely an assault.

But when you hit someone because of their nationality, it is also a hate crime.

well, your last point is total garbage. Your political views can be influenced by anything, whether it be violence or just your friends political views. However your nationality can't be influenced by other people once you are born.

ReputationRep:
    Assault? It was more of a little prod with a sign. Should this guy get a warning or caution? Probably, violence is never a good thing. Should he be jailed? Of course not! When right-wing, borderline xenophobes like Farage try to win a free ticket into parliament on the behalf of middle class closet racists, he really should be prepared for this sort of thing. I've got no sympathy for Farage in this situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesGibson)
    Assault? It was more of a little prod with a sign. Should this guy get a warning or caution? Probably, violence is never a good thing. Should he be jailed? Of course not! When right-wing, borderline xenophobes like Farage try to win a free ticket into parliament on the behalf of middle class closet racists, he really should be prepared for this sort of thing. I've got no sympathy for Farage in this situation.
    I have never heard Farage say anything xenophobic or racist, and to label his supporters as 'middle class closet racists' is insulting. There taking votes from all sides of the political spectrum

He obviously went into the wrong area to address his supporters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renner)
    I have never heard Farage say anything xenophobic or racist, and to label his supporters as 'middle class closet racists' is insulting. There taking votes from all sides of the political spectrum
    I will insult middle class people all I like. UKIP is just another manifestation of the rich trying to make the poor poorer by taking away the welfare state, EU court of human rights and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesGibson)
    I will insult middle class people all I like. UKIP is just another manifestation of the rich trying to make the poor poorer by taking away the welfare state, EU court of human rights and so on.
    Pretty sure the argument for UKIP amongst the working class is something like 'Hey, because we're part of the EU, there is too much surplus labour holding down wage rates and bringing down working conditions so we can't get a job or have a life. We can't get an NHS appointment, we can't get into our schools' blah blah blah. It's nothing what you've just postulated.

Most of the upper class don't want to leave the EU for fear of it affecting their growth prospects and low cost labour. They want the total opposite to UKIP. Over the past few days, we have seen multiple investment banks such as Citi, J.P. Morgan and Goldman Sachs submit their concerns to the Treasury basically telling them to get their act together on this issue. It's hardly a manifestation of the rich when UKIP support nothing that they want. (Source: FT)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JG1233)
    Whilst completely blind to the fact that physically attacking or physically trying to censor anyone with a different belief far more resembles Nazi's then a party following the democratic process trying to get into power.
    It's funny because technically Hitler came to power legally through the democratic process..more or less..:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    Pretty sure the argument for UKIP amongst the working class is something like 'Hey, because we're part of the EU, there is too much surplus labour holding down wage rates and bringing down working conditions so we can't get a job or have a life. We can't get an NHS appointment, we can't get into our schools' blah blah blah. It's nothing what you've just postulated.

Most of the upper class don't want to leave the EU for fear of it affecting their growth prospects and low cost labour. They want the total opposite to UKIP. Over the past few days, we have seen multiple investment banks such as Citi, J.P. Morgan and Goldman Sachs submit their concerns to the Treasury basically telling them to get their act together on this issue. It's hardly a manifestation of the rich when UKIP support nothing that they want. (Source: FT)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    UKIP aren't really a party of the upper class, more the middle class. They want to reduce the welfare state to end the supposed 'scrounging crisis' we've got going on, they want to put stricter measures to prevent almost non-existent health tourism. They oppose gay marriage and are keen supporters of privatisation.

Their rhetoric might seem all 'common sensey' and fair, but their actual policies just resemble a more right-wing version of the Tory Party.

I'm not saying it was right to hit Nigel Farage, but this was hardly violence - arresting him would be just creating a false narrative of Farage as a 'victim' of the actions of a violent lefty chav thug.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincentasaurus)
    It's funny because technically Hitler came to power legally through the democratic process..more or less..:rolleyes:
    So you propose we scrap democracy and only do what extreme leftists like those in this article want?

Hitler came to power through democracy but lied to the public about what was really going on, and are you really trying to compare UKIP to the Nazi party?

ReputationRep:
    The funny thing is those people are usually the type who go around saying how tolerant they are and calling right-wingers Nazis.
    Whilst completely blind to the fact that physically attacking or physically trying to censor anyone with a different belief far more resembles Nazi's then a party following the democratic process trying to get into power.
    What did Churchill say about Anti-fascists being the fascists of the future?

The worrying thing about many left wingers is that they are absolutely convinced/indoctrinated in the righteousness and inherent truth of their own beliefs and hence the need for absolute rejection and sometimes suppression by force of any opposing beliefs.

Scary listening to left wing student politics types, they cant bear to hear opposing views. But label them fascist then suppression of them becomes some kind of noble activity. At least Nazis admitted they were just intolerant.

ReputationRep:
    So you propose we scrap democracy and only do what extreme leftists like those in this article want?

Hitler came to power through democracy but lied to the public about what was really going on, and are you really trying to compare UKIP to the Nazi party?
    I'm not proposing anything, I was just poking fun at what you said. No need to give me the Red Scare

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sean O Pry)
    Leftist scum supporting their side like a football team.

There's no bigger plague than leftists in our current society. Get rid of them now or they'll enforce guilt on your children for existing.
    I can see exactly how replacing "leftist scum" with deep philosophical thinkers such as yourself would fill the world with peace and a whole bunch of democracy.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.