The Student Room Group

I literally can't stop crying over a book and I don't know why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Welsh_insomniac
Yeah, okay I understand what you're trying to say now. I've just been re reading it and your right, the story itself is fantastic, and maybe Tolkien got caught up in creating the world itself rather than writing excellent prose like Hemingway. Some passages are long winded and descriptive which can be laborious if you're not drawn in, but I think he was hoping to create something so much bigger than anything that could be put into one book. It's a shame that many of his works and ideas about Middle Earth are incomplete or died along with himself.

(Edit: I'll definitely take a read of that article when I get the chance. I absolutely love literature and have taken an interest in writing. It's just a shame I only found out this passion after I left school/university. Still, learning is learning).

Well I think the main thing is that he didn't write the tales to tell a story, he was actually a lecturer of Anglo-Saxon at a university and then created his own language. To give it a reason to exist he wrote the tales in the LOTR universe. It's also worth noting that the Two Towers and Return of the King, the most war-orientated books, wwere written after WWII. Lots of people after both wars used the form of books, poetry or plays to discuss the war indirectly.
Oh and if you start reading TV Tropes you never really stop. Be warned.
Reply 41
Wow I’m a little bit too late for this post, but what gives.
I remember crying over a series for a week. My heart had felt so heavy, now that I think about it. I really couldn‘t do anything else rather than spending my time on Tumblr in search for fanart etc. Same goes for LotR. I‘m still a huge fan of LotR and love watching the trilogy/ rereading some parts from the book.

It may seem absurd now, but it sure did not feel that way back then!
I cried reading The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka...
(edited 5 years ago)
Yeah the best way to get over a book is to start reading another one. That’s what I’m doing to get over “all the bright places”
Hey if it’s any consolation I’m having the same problem with ‘The Book Theif’ i cry at the mention of ****ing lemons or accordions Anyway, I advise watching a comedy or doing literally anything else than just sitting around
Original post by Tom_green_day
'really well-written' every author just turned in their graves (or, wherever they are).
Hunger Games is like Harry Potter, Twilight and Lord of the Rings in that it's generally accepted that the book isn't well written, it's popular for the story contained.

Would agree Harry Potter is poorly written, but Hunger Games the english is much much better.
I’ve been attached to my collection of booksI left the book I’m currently reading at a friends house I can’t get it till next week, I’m having an emotional breakdown bc I can’t read itHelp
Reply 47
But she didn't love Peeta, it was a forced relationship where Katniss had to learn to love Peeta because she didn't. This might trigger you but Katniss should have been with Gale.
I have been there and done that! You are not alone! I recommend everyone to read After!!!
Reply 49
Watch Comedy Movies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending