x Turn on thread page Beta

Bite the Ballot - Do you vote? watch

Announcements
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Lived in the constituency that is the second safest labour seat in the country. Completely put me off voting because if I voted for anyone but Labour it'd be a wasted vote.

Didn't vote in the last local elections.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adi19956)
    Assuming you're talking about European elections, it's not FPTP. See my post above.
    Yes I know, I was talking about General.

I thought voting UKIP for Euro elections was basically the de facto position of the entire British public.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)

I thought voting UKIP for Euro elections was basically the de facto position of the entire British public.
    Erm, I don't think so. All but one opinion poll shows Labour to be leading (thereby debunking the myth that we all want out of Europe) and UKIP having a slight edge over the Conservatives.

ReputationRep:
    62.37% voted for a new Labour candidate who had only lived in my area for just 2 years over a Lib Dems candidate who had lived in it for a few decades.

I won't be voting next year, because I don't support Labour.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwertish)
    Erm, I don't think so. All but one opinion poll shows Labour to be leading (thereby debunking the myth that we all want out of Europe) and UKIP having a slight edge over the Conservatives.
    I regularly partake in opinion poles and my guess is that this is due to the polling methodology used.

YouGov, for example, ask for your voting preferences;

1. Labour
    2. Conservatives
    3. Liberal Democrats
    4. SNP
    5. Other
    6. Would Not Vote

You then have to click 5 to be given the option to chose UKIP.

Thus, with UKIP not showing as a major option initially, the % choosing UKIP is artificially subdued.

ReputationRep:
    I regularly partake in opinion poles and my guess is that this is due to the polling methodology used.

YouGov, for example, ask for your voting preferences;

1. Labour
    2. Conservatives
    3. Liberal Democrats
    4. SNP
    5. Other
    6. Would Not Vote

You then have to click 5 to be given the option to chose UKIP.

Thus, with UKIP not showing as a major option initially, the % choosing UKIP is artificially subdued.
    Ah, that's an issue. Maybe in England UKIP would replace the SNP though?

ReputationRep:

It's most definitely not. Latest polls show 26% for UKIP. And that's not just YouGov.

I'm not a UKIP supporter myself.

Quite so. It'd be interesting to see the proportion of UKIP MEP supporters that come from GE Lab and Con voters or whether they're first time voters. People always say Conservatives defect to UKIP, but I don't think that 49% of voters are centre right - right. (26% + 23%)

(Original post by senz72)
    62.37% voted for a new Labour candidate who had only lived in my area for just 2 years over a Lib Dems candidate who had lived in it for a few decades.

I won't be voting next year, because I don't support Labour.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Vote anyway! Get involved!

People giving up on voting just gives the presumed winner more of a lead. You don't want your favourite party/ candidate to lose out do you?

ReputationRep:
    Despite the pressure of others, I'm not going to vote in the general election. No party has what I want.

However, in terms of the EU referendum, I'm certainly voting in favour of the EU. Personally, I really appreciate the EU and it's helped me and my family tremendously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serebro)
    Despite the pressure of others, I'm not going to vote in the general election. No party has what I want.

However, in terms of the EU referendum, I'm certainly voting in favour of the EU. Personally, I really appreciate the EU and it's helped me and my family tremendously.
    Is there no party which even does one thing you want?

I don't like everything the Conservatives do (bedroom tax, Royal Mail nationalisation), but I like their economic policy, and that's what I think is the most important thing right now, so I vote for them. In the future, when the economy is less of an issue, I might change who I vote for.

ReputationRep:

I don't like everything the Conservatives do (bedroom tax, Royal Mail nationalisation), but I like their economic policy, and that's what I think is the most important thing right now, so I vote for them. In the future, when the economy is less of an issue, I might change who I vote for.
    I think nearly every party has an aspect that I want, but the other policies simply outweigh the point of voting for them.

ReputationRep:
    I think nearly every party has an aspect that I want, but the other policies simply outweigh the point of voting for them.
    Do you mind saying what your ideal policies would be?

ReputationRep:
    Do you mind saying what your ideal policies would be?
    I don't mind, but I'll probably get criticised for it.

I think benefits need to be scrapped, as it costs the UK a lot of money. Disabled people would be entitled to an allowance however, but only once they have been approved. I'd like to see a benefit card system where people can use their monthly/weekly points to buy essentials. However, job-seekers would be granted free college and library access, in order to encourage them to get skills.

I'd like to see tighter immigration rules in general, especially those from outside the EU or Commonwealth. I'd prefer the Burqa to be banned. I think the UK should get involved a lot more in the EU and try make the Commonwealth a similar organisation.

I'd also like education to change. Less exams and a liberal arts style curriculum at A Level and beyond. Scrap the A* and follow AS grading for every qualification. Language learning is important too. University fees should be lowered too.

Alcohol should be limited/pricey, and a curfew placed on drivers under 25. Homosexual marriage should be encouraged as well as homosexuals right to adopt children.

That's pretty much how I see it.

ReputationRep:

I think benefits need to be scrapped, as it costs the UK a lot of money. Far right Disabled people would be entitled to an allowance however, but only once they have been approved. Already a law I'd like to see a benefit card system where people can use their monthly/weekly points to buy essentials. Right wing. Hard to define no? However, job-seekers would be granted free college and library access, in order to encourage them to get skills. Fair. There are free training courses available to job seekers both gov't and charity run.

I'd like to see tighter immigration rules in general, Right wing especially those from outside the EU or Commonwealth. I'd prefer the Burqa to be banned. I think the UK should get involved a lot more in the EU and try make the Commonwealth a similar organisation.

I'd also like education to change. Less exams and a liberal arts style curriculum at A Level and beyond. Scrap the A* and follow AS grading for every qualification.Language learning is important too. University fees should be lowered too. Centre - left

Alcohol should be limited/pricey, and a curfew placed on drivers under 25. Not socially liberal - right Homosexual marriage should be encouraged as well as homosexuals right to adopt children. Socially liberal - left

I can see how no party has what you want. I've labelled your post with the part of the spectrum I believe bits to be in.

The education bit, are you saying you want less academia and more arts or the other way round? Can't tell. Do you not believe it should be a choice?

Also with the A* how do you expect potential employers to distinguish between scraped As and high As? Change the boundaries? What about grade inflation? Just looking at Edexcel's maths GCSE last June, only 3.8% of candidates achieved A*, but 11.8% achieved A* and A. How can you tell who the best candidates are when over a tenth of them get the best possible grade?

ReputationRep:
    I am not voting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mourinho<3)
    The way things are and due to a first past the post system there are and will always be for the majority of the time 2 big parties. Any other vote is a wasted one.
    Let us say my voting preference is UKIP 1st, Tory 2nd and Labour 3rd. If I vote UKIP they won't win-it will take votes off the Conservatives and then Labour will win. It is better for someone in this scenario to vote for their second choice rather than their first. So my first choice party suffers but at least I get closer to what I wanted.

So there aren't many parties to choose from due to the current situation with the dominant parties. And since neither Labour nor Conservative have really gone in the direction the electorate desired on a variety of descisions voting for either would, for many, just seem wrong. If you don't want them back in why vote?

The result of the above is that people don't see the point of voting due to the first point. They also feel voting for the least worst option to be a stupid situation to be in. So they don't vote.

So will this "NVRD Campaign" deal with the above issues? If it doesn't I won't expect it to change much. The above is a problem because it means even people interested in politics won't vote, even if they are the kind of people who normally would. Getting these people to vote shouldn't be a problem but it is due to the sorry state of affairs politics is in at the moment.

Just my view, but I feel that when (well if) parties move toward the view they are elected to represent the public rather than follow their own plans and there is actually a choice people want rather than voting/supporting the least depressing party we will see a change.
    My advice is this(if your preferences are actually as described) vote UKIP in the european elections (they're a PR vote and really don't matter anyway, as the EU parliament is only a rubber stamp body with almost no actual power) then vote tory in the nationals.

ReputationRep:

Out of interest, what was wrong with the royal mail privatisation?

ReputationRep:

Always interested to hear these sorts of things, how has the EU helped you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    Out of interest, what was wrong with the royal mail privatisation?
    I dislike the principle. I think there are certain things the Government should retain control of.

ReputationRep:

I think benefits need to be scrapped, as it costs the UK a lot of money. Disabled people would be entitled to an allowance however, but only once they have been approved. I'd like to see a benefit card system where people can use their monthly/weekly points to buy essentials. However, job-seekers would be granted free college and library access, in order to encourage them to get skills.

I'd like to see tighter immigration rules in general, especially those from outside the EU or Commonwealth. I'd prefer the Burqa to be banned. I think the UK should get involved a lot more in the EU and try make the Commonwealth a similar organisation.

I'd also like education to change. Less exams and a liberal arts style curriculum at A Level and beyond. Scrap the A* and follow AS grading for every qualification. Language learning is important too. University fees should be lowered too.

Alcohol should be limited/pricey, and a curfew placed on drivers under 25. Homosexual marriage should be encouraged as well as homosexuals right to adopt children.

You'd be surprised how common your views are actually haha!

I think we need benefits, but the idea of having a card system, whereby people can use it to only buy certain things (i.e., not a 40" LED TV) is a good one. I think the issues with it are related to the principle of the Government dictating what someone can and can't do with their money; however, I'd take the view that it isn't their money.

I love the idea of closer ties with the Commonwealth. One major barrier is the EU's trade policy, which states that we can't have a free trade agreement with anyone not in the EU, the other is that it would smack of colonialism if we encouraged it (it would have to come from the other members).

What did you think of Michael Gove's exam reforms?

ReputationRep:
    Generally when people say they want closer ties with the Commonwealth one should note that they really mean Australia, Canada and New Zealand, i'd be extremely surprised if the average person can name even ten members. I'd like a preferential labour agreement with them (de-facto free movement with a couple of strings attached) and of course free trade treaties (currently negotiating with Canada). Truth be told if there was a prospect of some kind of EU like con-federation with those countries (though a federation in the long run would be better) then i'd leave the EU for them.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.