Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Do we still need religious schools? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I defend religion on this forum because a lot of religious believers on this website (particularly Muslims) face what can only be considered harassment and abuse for their beliefs, but as someone who went to a Catholic school, these things should be banned.

ReputationRep:
    we never "needed" them - they are a breach of secular and liberal values
    note: I'm talking about government/publicly funded schools here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    the annoying thing was having to sing hymns all the time. But I found a way of getting out of it. I shouted louder than everyone else and sang completely out of tune. Then they just stopped me singing altogether :cool:
    In chapel I use to mime or sing a different song... But I must admit I really got into shine Jesus shine, with the crazy clapping!

ReputationRep:
    I go to a religious school but the school itself is in a deprived area. Such a minority of people are practising religion yet this school still exists. Honestly, there has been so many controversial comments throughout my 7 years of being there, all with the base of religion. Even in sixth form, I am expected to spend two 45 minute lessons per week in an re lesson which brings absolutely NO benefit to me, it doesn't provide me with a qualification or anything. Forgive me for thinking I should be using every available minute of the school day getting my a levels. The same is for the bible reading we are expected to do during form time when we could be doing work. It is unnecessary, impractical and annoying in today's society. Religious education should only be a minor part of a students life but not incessantly and only to the younger school years. I wouldn't mind if the students were religious, 90% of them are not and probably all of them feel the same as me and the controversy it has caused with teachers losing their jobs because of the comments made because of their religion is unbelievable.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.