Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Girls, what attributes most attract you to boys? Watch

• View Poll Results: Girls what attributes most attract you to boys? (one choice only)
    Looks
    9.30%
    Money/wealth
    4.65%
    Physical Chemistry
    4.65%
    Personality (generic)
    6.98%
    Charm
    3.49%
    Humour
    30.23%
    Social Skills/socialability/outgoing
    4.65%
    Lifestyle
    1.16%
    Social Status/fame
    1.16%
    Job/Career
    1.16%
    Muscular
    2.33%
    Dress Sense/Hair Style/fashion
    1.16%
    Ambitious
    1.16%
    Smart/Intelligent
    12.79%
    Adventurer/thrill seeker
    2.33%
    Caring personality
    12.79%

ReputationRep:
    I like shy guys because they look mysterious to me and I just want to get to know them and unlock their secrets since I'm quite talkative. I guess opposites attract

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namige)
    You say that the laugh attribute is vague. What I'm saying is that it's supposed to be vague.
    Oh, okay. Fair enough.

It's just funny that people (girls more often) say "I love someone who can make me laugh" as if it's rare for someone to be able to make them laugh.

ReputationRep:
    So I tried to think what I love most about my partner for this, seeing as it's so limiting in options. P: I love that he makes me laugh, a lot of our relationship is based on that and being stupid/inappropriate. He's also intelligent and that is important to me, he knows far too much it's almost frustrating, but I definitely appreciate it. I'm not too bothered about looks or fashion, or wealth to a point. He's not particularly caring in general, again that's something that is a bit vague. He is extremely outgoing but not too charming, he's a teensy bit arrogant and blunt, he'll never ever honey-coat anything or tell me what I 'want to hear'. I like all these things.

Buuut I think the most attractive quality and the one that I chose is being adventurous. This doesn't necessarily mean going out to hunt for scorpions or various creatives whenever we go to a place that has them, although that's a part of it too, but it's just the mentality that being an explorer involves - getting to the bottom of something, achieving an aim, finding something out, doing it yourself and being 'hands-on'. And then it's just about exploring comfort zones or 'strange' things, which goes to what happens in bed, to owning tarantulas or trying new food. A lot of it is nature-based, too, and that's what I'm awwwl about haha. Plus I'm a thrill-seeker in the more common sense, and couldn't be doing with much 'safety' in terms of activities. My partner is quite literally a rollercoaster/theme park encyclopaedia, he gets genuine coaster-withdrawal-symptoms. And, I 'need' a traveller. (; So - adventurous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Top Queen)
    Social status, ambition, wealth, healthy, gym body and funny.
    If you actually are a girl rather than a guy

kudos for self-awareness and honesty

(Original post by elpistolero7)
    The lying. So much lying. On a ****ing anonymous poll.

:rolleyes:
    It's not lying

Girls get giggly around the guy they like, so they think that his humour is what made them like him, rather than liking him is what made them enjoy his humour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polecat)
    A really hot accent. Or at least someone who is really good at accents, so then they can just talk to me in different accents all the time.

I'm still searching.
    Why hello

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)

She is female. Check recent threads for fun chat on how ideally men should pay for everything and how being a pampered princess who isn't even allowed to wash a dish is the best.

Do we need to have shallow or controversial views in order to be taken at our word?

Sometimes (often) members of TSR complain that women only want money, that every woman is a gold-digger. When the women of TSR attempt to say otherwise, they are called liars. Where's the win? P:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)

It's not lying

Girls get giggly around the guy they like, so they think that his humour is what made them like him, rather than liking him is what made them enjoy his humour
    Mate, there's no way most of the girls consider intelligence/humor the most important aspect as this poll suggests. Its utter bull****, giggy wiggly or not.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awe)
    She is female. Check recent threads for fun chat on how ideally men should pay for everything and how being a pampered princess who isn't even allowed to wash a dish is the best.

Do we need to have shallow or controversial views in order to be taken at our word?

Sometimes (often) members of TSR complain that women only want money, that every woman is a gold-digger. When the women of TSR attempt to say others, they are called liars. Where's the win? P:
    That's so true :lol:

ReputationRep:
    That's so true :lol:
    But you've just written that there's 'no way most of the girls consider intelligence/humor the most important aspect as this poll suggests. Its utter bull****'... you've just done what I've said, more or less. P: Why can't you believe the poll? It's anonymous - what does anyone stand to achieve by lying? Why do you think you know what someone else prefers in a partner?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awe)
    But you've just written that there's 'no way most of the girls consider intelligence/humor the most important aspect as this poll suggests. Its utter bull****'... you've just done what I've said, more or less. P: Why can't you believe the poll? It's anonymous - what does anyone stand to achieve by lying? Why do you think you know what someone else prefers in a partner?
    People don't like evidence against their viewpoint...

I think humour is probably one of the most important traits and thus the response is legit, time and time again when people do these threads on either gender, most guys/girls will list a good sense of humour as a crucial aspect to their preferred partners personality.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awe)
    What I agreed with is the gold diggers bit mainly. I don't see how I've been hypocritical at all, unless you meant something else by your initial post that I responded to, which I didn't understand for some reason:confused:

I've just noticed in my dating experience and that of my friends/acquaintances that in initial attraction looks, style, confidence etc matter far more at the initial attraction hurdle than ambition/intelligence/humor. That's why I think a lot of the people are bull ****ting.

I don't know what someone else prefers in a partners but I've seen tons of girls around me say stuff like "humor/intelligence" is what they find most attractive, while in reality its really not that high up on the list when they actually fall for someone.

I've recently had 2 girls (over the last 8 or so months) show a keen interest in me. Girls who wouldn't even talk to me a few years back cause I was fat and therefore considered unattractive/not popular. I was just as intelligent, just as funny back then. What changed? And its not like my case is an isolated incident or anything. I just think people (guys and girls both) try to show themselves to be less superficial than they are. I have no issues with people being superficial with looks etc, I have an issue with the dishonesty of it, that's all.

ReputationRep:
    I said humour but I tend to find guys I fancy more funny than the other way around, if you see what I mean. Either way, I don't know what attracts me to guys, they've all been different.

ReputationRep:
    What I agreed with is the gold diggers bit mainly. I don't see how I've been hypocritical at all, unless you meant something else by your initial post that I responded to, which I didn't understand for some reason:confused:
    I've just noticed in my dating experience and that of my friends/acquaintances that in initial attraction looks, style, confidence etc matter far more at the initial attraction hurdle than ambition/intelligence/humor. That's why I think a lot of the people are bull ****ting.
    I don't know what someone else prefers in a partners but I've seen tons of girls around me say stuff like "humor/intelligence" is what they find most attractive, while in reality its really not that high up on the list when they actually fall for someone.
    I've recently had 2 girls (over the last 8 or so months) show a keen interest in me. Girls who wouldn't even talk to me a few years back cause I was fat and therefore considered unattractive/not popular. I was just as intelligent, just as funny back then. What changed? And its not like my case is an isolated incident or anything. I just think people (guys and girls both) try to show themselves to be less superficial than they are. I have no issues with people being superficial with looks etc, I have an issue with the dishonesty of it, that's all.
    I don't think many people will say that looks 'don't matter', but it's the assumption that everyone wants the handsome Abercrombie model that most women I know, and certainly I, would argue pretty hotly against. I.e - my partner is overweight and has terrible spots on his neck/back. He isn't conventionally that handsome, particularly without his beard, but I think he is v attractive - obviously ! And that's required for me. But I'm not going to say 'looks matter' in a poll that considers that answer to mean that I want to date '#nameofcurrenthandsomeceleb' lookalikes, and that would then consider everything else irrelevant. It's not about lying.

I think you are generalising wildly, which is a shame for you and women around you. What you have experienced simply won't apply to every woman, obviously. Also, again, looks might be involved initially and that's fine - but the single predominant reason for the attraction is what this poll is asking for, and I just don't see how you can tell others that they are wrong with their answer to that. Just because they also care about aesthetics doesn't mean it is the ruling factor. If a partner is hilarious but also good-looking, that doesn't mean the other is attracted to them because they are the latter quality, it just may seem that way to outsiders, or even him.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awe)
    I don't think many people will say that looks 'don't matter', but it's the assumption that everyone wants the handsome Abercrombie model that most women I know, and certainly I, would argue pretty hotly against. I.e - my partner is overweight and has terrible spots on his neck/back. He isn't conventionally that handsome, particularly without his beard, but I think he is v attractive - obviously ! And that's required for me. But I'm not going to say 'looks matter' in a poll that considers that answer to mean that I want to date '#nameofcurrenthandsomeceleb' lookalikes, and that would then consider everything else irrelevant. It's not about lying.

I think you are generalising wildly, which is a shame for you and women around you. What you have experienced simply won't apply to every woman, obviously. Also, again, looks might be involved initially and that's fine - but the single predominant reason for the attraction is what this poll is asking for, and I just don't see how you can tell others that they are wrong with their answer to that. Just because they also care about aesthetics doesn't mean it is the ruling factor. If a partner is hilarious but also good-looking, that doesn't mean the other is attracted to them because they are the latter quality, it just may seem that way to outsiders, or even him.

I'm not wildly generalizing, its just an opinion I've formed based on my experiences in life so far. Its not a shame for any of the women around me. I'm very nice to my gf, my friends who are girls, the whole lot and don't have any underlying issues that cause me to trouble them, so I don't know where you've come up with that statement from.

My opinion, I admit, may be a bit lopsided in this regard cause I went from fat to thin to muscular and everything about girls behavior (even boys for that matter, in terms of day to day behavior) changed drastically, so I think looks are, at least in the teenage/early 20 years pretty much the most important factor. Its what draws you in initially mostly and the rest comes later (not that the other stuff isn't important), I jut think its one of the, if not the most important aspects.

I've also in no way, shape or form stated everyone's after the model looks, so I don't know why you've brought that up? :confused:. Its obviously a package deal, my issue with the poll is that almost half the votes are for intelligence and humor as the "most important" attribute. I just don't think that's anywhere close to the ground reality of the life I've experienced. Maybe you know far less superficial people, and if so good for you. My opinion's just based on what I've seen and experienced, that's all.

It doesn't matter if your bf is conventionally attractive or not, fact is that you find him attractive, and that's a crucial aspect of things in most cases. There are exceptions, of course, which is why I've consistently used the word "most" not "always" .

I'm not saying someone is right or wrong, I just think they're being dishonest, that's all. People say all kinds of stuff to appear less superficial, its nothing new. Its not an issue I have with only girls, its with guys too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not wildly generalizing, its just an opinion I've formed based on my experiences in life so far. Its not a shame for any of the women around me. I'm very nice to my gf, my friends who are ... I'm not saying someone is right or wrong, I just think they're being dishonest, that's all. People say all kinds of stuff to appear less superficial, its nothing new. Its not an issue I have with only girls, its with guys too.
    Generalising and anecdotes and friends aside (I'm doing diss at the same time so may be a bit tangential haha, nevertheless..) - it is true that people may attempt to portray a less superficial persona than is the reality. But maybe that's a good thing? I don't think it's always the person lying to everyone else, I think in a way they are lying to themselves as well, almost as self-improvement. In telling you about my partner I'm wondering 'do I really care about looks?' and then acknowledging that he is flawed but yes, that's great, I'm cementing that thought within myself. And if people have that mentality and stick to it on some level, it is bound to take effect elsewhere and result in better, less superficial people all round. Using 'top queen' here as an example - she gave the 'shallow' answers and solidly follows that perspective of being a princess, having the guy pay etc, in real life. It's an anonymous poll, so if people are lying to the poll, going by your idea that they are, they are also doing it with themselves. Interesting maybe, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Looks are what first attracts me to a guy but not as important once I get to know him. I would rather be with someome who is average in looks who is funny and caring to really good looking but not much of a personality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luckylaurax)
    I like shy guys because they look mysterious to me and I just want to get to know them and unlock their secrets since I'm quite talkative. I guess opposites attract
    Why hello there :sexface:. I would approach you but im toonervoustotalk

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Humour is essential

Confidence is the big one for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awe)

Sometimes (often) members of TSR complain that women only want money, that every woman is a gold-digger. When the women of TSR attempt to say otherwise, they are called liars. Where's the win? P:
    Buy a dishwasher :dontknow:

I don't mind if a woman wants to be taken care of by the man, if she is communicating what she wants honestly, there is no issue, it's actually helping men too. What I don't like is dishonesty or self-delusion.

Mate, there's no way most of the girls consider intelligence/humor the most important aspect as this poll suggests. Its utter bull****, giggy wiggly or not.
    You don't seem to understand what I am saying, maybe you are blinded by hating women.

I don't hate them, but I don't think that many of them know what they want in a man, generally speaking.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2014
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.