Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Moderate Democrats - New party proposal! Watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptographic)
    Good idea, but I don't really agree with significant bits of their personal freedom stance as fully as they do. Re; staying centrist, if there is one of me, there will most probably be more (I know, scary thought ) with roughly similar views.
    So be an MP for the party you agree with most and then just be a dual member with parties who you also agree with in smaller ways. Parties are vehicles for leglislative agendas on TSR, if the Tories had not responded well to the types of things i wanted to do, i'd have tried pushing it via another party. I think the way Cameron flops about on Europe is ridiculous, so at the Euro's i'll vote Lib Dem. The only difference here is that you replace vote with create relevant legislation and submit to a party you think will back it. By being a Tory MP you'd also be able to submit independently until you ran as an MP potentially.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing 'truly central'.

ReputationRep:
    Why not be Moderate Royalists?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, ,nice suggestion re:name.

Would name change to Democratic Centrist party distance it from the Liberals in your eyes?
    I think you're probably best just calling it the Centre Party. Or the Moderate Party, or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    What is the parties policy on the Union? Independace?

Would you not say that your party is pretty much the Center Party and that your main ideological idea is that of pragmatism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will95206)
    What is the parties policy on the Union? Independace?

Would you not say that your party is pretty much the Center Party and that your main ideological idea is that of pragmatism?
    I would say to a certain extent yes, for both questions. After the party is formed there will be elections for the leadership positions, logo and name, in which the centre party name may emerge. However the party wouldn't want ex-centre party members joining because of the name, but would prefer to be judged by it's policies.

It is supportive of the union, it generally does not support federalisation, however if a suitable cost-effective plan for federalisation arose, the party would support it.

ReputationRep:
    I would say to a certain extent yes, for both questions. After the party is formed there will be elections for the leadership positions, logo and name, in which the centre party name may emerge. However the party wouldn't want ex-centre party members joining because of the name, but would prefer to be judged by it's policies.

It is supportive of the union, it generally does not support federalisation, however if a suitable cost-effective plan for federalisation arose, the party would support it.
    I just wonder whether this will weaken the liberal-centre-centre right vote and membership though, I think it would take members from the both the Tories and Liberals which would weaken both of them.
    Also you will have no-MP's in till next term, a new and small party had no chance of winning a by-election, sorry to say, unless it had backing from other parties of which I cannot see that happening.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I think that the Redundant Party is quite the name you are looking for. Considering the current MHoC setting, I believe that every new party initiative is either an attempt at becoming the boss (ambition) or a completely hopeless idea (Genius party, Nazi party, BNP, etc.).

Your policies are largely recycled and you indeed use a lot of buzzwords. Adding colours to the equation, I thought of Liberal Democrats immediately, so perhaps if you could replace the Liberals…

On a different note: Guys, those huge signatures are decreasing the legibility of this forum quite terribly and I am going to hide them away immediately. Hope they are not like cars – inversely proportional to the size of your willies. Calm down your egos because the effect may be quite opposite.

ReputationRep:
    I just wonder whether this will weaken the liberal-centre-centre right vote and membership though, I think it would take members from the both the Tories and Liberals which would weaken both of them.
    Also you will have no-MP's in till next term, a new and small party had no chance of winning a by-election, sorry to say, unless it had backing from other parties of which I cannot see that happening.
    I would say that to a certain extent, it's name infers that it is very marginally left wing, in the USA, the democrats are left-wing, and moderates imply that, well they are a more central left-wing. So instead of (the part) being marginally right of centre I would agree that it is marginally left of centre.

With the MP thing, while it would have no MPs, it would have one member that is an MP, I have ben asked to stay on as an MP until the end of this term. Through this conduit, bills proposed by the party could be passed through a private member bill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    To be honest, I think that the Redundant Party is quite the name you are looking for. Considering the current MHoC setting, I believe that every new party initiative is either an attempt at becoming the boss (ambition) or a completely hopeless idea (Genius party, Nazi party, BNP, etc.).
    Orange/Yellow is usually associated with the centre. There is definitely a space in the centre, for those whom support an economically central position, but not a 'anarchist' (Liberals) social platform.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for before lol.

More seriously why not create something more interesting
    like a
    Christian Democrat party like Merkel .. or something else..
    looks like all the parties here are the same.

We need a social conservative party !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demx9)
    Sorry for before lol.

like a

Because there is a space for this party (Also I believe in this party's policies.), but the others are covered by UKIP and the Tories .

Though you have seriously pissed me off, I now have a quote notification that won't go away.

ReputationRep:
    Orange/Yellow is usually associated with the centre. There is definitely a space in the centre, for those whom support an economically central position, but not a 'anarchist' (Liberals) social platform.
    Do you really think that the subtle difference justifies a new model party? I remember the TSR Centre party which was represented by very reasonable and active people, yet it did not prevail. Be an independent or just choose the party closest to your views and push “economically central” agenda. Have you had troubles with presenting your own legislation so far?

I also think that the naming chaos (is that the third name, already?) and uncertainty indicates the same in situation regarding policies and added value, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Do you really think that the subtle difference justifies a new model party? I remember the TSR Centre party which was represented by very reasonable and active people, yet it did not prevail. Be an independent or just choose the party closest to your views and push “economically central” agenda. Have you had troubles with presenting your own legislation so far?
    I wouldn't quite call them 'subtle differences'. The party would have the advantage of being non-partisan. I do not know the circumstances of how it folded, care to enlighten me?

ReputationRep:
    Also, currently the right wing parties are the Conservatives, UKIP and the Libertarians. With the latter two parties, they are struggling to fill their seats. So if I tried to take the conservatives central, the the other two folded, that would mean that there would be no right wing parties any more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't quite call them 'subtle differences'. The party would have the advantage of being non-partisan. I do not know the circumstances of how it folded, care to enlighten me?
    Wait, a non-partisan party? You contradict yourself, for instance in saying that the party would “not be influenced by any particular political ideology”, yet all your policies constitute partial expressions of different ideologies and together form another one – a system of ideas and ideals.

The Liberals' preoccupation with personal freedoms is simply the result of running out of ideas and having a leader who is largely absent, I believe, not a different political stance overall. Personal freedoms are culture-dependent, intuitive, and require little to no research, hence such bills are easy to produce as opposed to economic, for instance.

Sorry, I take TSR too casually to remember what happened four years ago. :-/

Also, currently the right wing parties are the Conservatives, UKIP and the Libertarians. With the latter two parties, they are struggling to fill their seats. So if I tried to take the conservatives central, the the other two folded, that would mean that there would be no right wing parties any more.
    That is quite speculative. UKIP have managed to hold on despite their unconsciousness for half a year or so already and the Liberals are losing support of the electorate so the number of active members should be sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that to a certain extent, it's name infers that it is very marginally left wing, in the USA, the democrats are left-wing, and moderates imply that, well they are a more central left-wing. So instead of (the part) being marginally right of centre I would agree that it is marginally left of centre.

With the MP thing, while it would have no MPs, it would have one member that is an MP, I have been asked to stay on as an MP until the end of this term. Through this conduit, bills proposed by the party could be passed through a private member bill.
    Would that be allowed, your seat is founded upon the Conservatives parties mandate not your so you cannot use that seat for a new party unless elected to rep it.

(Original post by demx9)
    Sorry for before lol.

like a

UKIP or some of those in the Tories, although there used to be a Patriotic Conservative Party thou.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    They just oppose and personal freedom legislation.
    A quick look at Hansard suggests otherwise.

I wish you well with forming a new party, if you get enough support. I just think a new centrist party would always remain irrelevant trying to compete alongside the experience and strong track record of the Liberals. Just look at what happened with the Centre Party.

(Original post by life_peer)
    The Liberals' preoccupation with personal freedoms is simply the result of running out of ideas and having a leader who is largely absent, I believe, not a different political stance overall. Personal freedoms are culture-dependent, intuitive, and require little to no research, hence such bills are easy to produce as opposed to economic, for instance.
    I'm not sure 'largely absent' is an accurate description for someone who logs on daily and contributes regularly.

I think your comments on our policy and legislation are rather misguided. A quick look at Hansard will show you everything we have achieved - a wide range of well-researched and progressive legislation.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Would that be allowed, your seat is founded upon the Conservatives parties mandate not your so you cannot use that seat for a new party unless elected to rep it.
    The seat belongs to the party not the individual. But the Tories are free to give their seat to whoever they want as per the A83 amendment, so if this ever went ahead and they were happy with Cryptographic keeping the seat, he'd get to keep it. It would still always be considered a Tory seat though, just one that has been loaned out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faland)
    Democratic centralism has connotations that you probably want to avoid!
    It's Centrist not Centralist though- I just discovered the far-left associations of the latter & they are worrying. Abuses the definition of 'Centralist' indeed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.