John Lennon vs Paul McCartney Watch

• View Poll Results: Lennon or McCartney
    Lennon
    44.44%
    McCartney
    55.56%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beatlemania)
    This is wrong. You shouldn't be comparing Lennon and McCartney, two absolute legends, because they're a partnership.

John Lennon is my hero. I prefer his songs, they aren't as 'nice'.

Lennon constantly tried to challenge the boundaries of music. Listen to 'Tomorrow Never Knows', 'Rain' and 'I Feel Fine'.
    I'm guessing the OP is referring to solo work. It'd be pretty hard to compare their beatle work since the majority of songs had input from the other one.

ReputationRep:

seeing as (honestly) my favourite song ever^ was from lennon I'll have to go with lennon, but mccartney is almost equally an amazing song writer
    also, in my opinion, lennon seemed (to me) to be the principal song writer of most of the beatles hits anyway (but again mccartney had a lot of them too, just not as many)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninuzu)
    I'm guessing the OP is referring to solo work. It'd be pretty hard to compare their beatle work since the majority of songs had input from the other one.
    They stopped writing songs in the same room in the early 60's. I know every song is credited to Lennon/McCartney but it wasn't 50/50 input, especially towards the end.

It's hard to compare solo work isn't it. I mean, Lennon was killed 34 years ago. I do like Lennon's stuff better though. Not being biased or anything. 'Jealous Guy' is my favourite, it's amazing. I do listen to McCartney's stuff, with Wings as well, but I wouldn't say it's like Lennon's stuff. Again, as with the Beatles, Lennon wrote the hard, blues stuff. That said, I did buy 'New' and think it's a good album.

I'm a big McCartney fan as well though, the guy is a legend. I just don't like saying one over the other as I don't think many Beatles fans do. McCartney doesn't seem to get as much credit which isn't very nice.

ReputationRep:
    Two overrated guys.

ReputationRep:
    As John Lennon was killed in 1980 and never got to be an artist in his 50s and 60s, we'll never know.

ReputationRep:
    They stopped writing songs in the same room in the early 60's. I know every song is credited to Lennon/McCartney but it wasn't 50/50 input, especially towards the end.

It's hard to compare solo work isn't it. I mean, Lennon was killed 34 years ago. I do like Lennon's stuff better though. Not being biased or anything. 'Jealous Guy' is my favourite, it's amazing. I do listen to McCartney's stuff, with Wings as well, but I wouldn't say it's like Lennon's stuff. Again, as with the Beatles, Lennon wrote the hard, blues stuff. That said, I did buy 'New' and think it's a good album.

I'm a big McCartney fan as well though, the guy is a legend. I just don't like saying one over the other as I don't think many Beatles fans do. McCartney doesn't seem to get as much credit which isn't very nice.
    Yeah I know towards the later years they didn't write "eyeball to eyeball" as Lennon once put, but they did audition their songs in front of one another and the other one had some input.
    But I agree with the point you make about having completely different styles - that's true.
    New is a good album I think too! But yeah, unfortunately Paul doesn't get the same amount as credit as John does.... Although it makes me feel a bit for George, who was a fantastic song writer but overshadowed by Lennon-McCartney :/

ReputationRep:
    Ringo Starr for his lead vocals on this.

Amazing song.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninuzu)
    Yeah I know towards the later years they didn't write "eyeball to eyeball" as Lennon once put, but they did audition their songs in front of one another and the other one had some input.
    But I agree with the point you make about having completely different styles - that's true.
    New is a good album I think too! But yeah, unfortunately Paul doesn't get the same amount as credit as John does.... Although it makes me feel a bit for George, who was a fantastic song writer but overshadowed by Lennon-McCartney :/
    I agree about George. Good musician, both as a guitarist and as a songwriter. 'Something' and 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' are two of the best Beatles songs in my opinion. He also wrote other great songs as well, 'Here Comes The Sun' and 'Taxman' as examples.

He was overshadowed by Lennon/McCartney, but I think most songwriters would have been!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mickey O'Neil)
    Ringo Starr for his lead vocals on this.

Amazing song.
    Written by Lennon-McCartney mind you

I agree about George. Good musician, both as a guitarist and as a songwriter. 'Something' and 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' are two of the best Beatles songs in my opinion. He also wrote other great songs as well, 'Here Comes The Sun' and 'Taxman' as examples.

He was overshadowed by Lennon/McCartney, but I think most songwriters would have been!
    All 4 of those songs you've mentioned rank as four of the best beatles songs, IMO. I think the trouble was that he didn't write songs at the start so John and Paul kind of thought they had more authority, if that makes sense! I also like If I needed someone from the rubber soul album. But yeah, you're last statement is definitely true!

ReputationRep:
    'Something' is my personal favourite Beatles' song - perhaps due to it being one of the first songs I learned to play on the guitar rather than the ingenuity of the tune. I'm a general fan of music from the late '60s/ early '70s where the counterculture movement transitioned into hippie culture; hence, Harrison's later work, which reflected his interests in eastern religions and liberty, has long appealed to me.
    However it must be admitted that the Beatles were not pioneers of this era and there were other far more talented musicians at the time: Chuck Berry had just amalgamated swing with rock'n'roll, the legends Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page were in the same band, and of course Jimi Hendrix was creating a legacy. There were also amazing lyricists, such as Bob Dylan, Sam Cooke, and none other than the Rolling Stones. But the Beatles' ability to be, debatably, the most known and highly regarded act of the time surely shows that there was something amazing about them - you can't outshine such legends purely by luck. Everything just seemed to fit together perfectly for them and, in my opinion, it was due to having multiple phenomenal song-writers - one would not have been enough to fill albums that could compete with the other greats of the time. Therefore, even when they worked separately, McCartney and Lennon's success ironically depended on each other.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    As John Lennon was killed in 1980 and never got to be an artist in his 50s and 60s, we'll never know.
    Tbf tbough, whilst Lennon did retire from 1975-1980, when they were both making music, McCartney was a lot more successful - with the possible exception of the imagine album but I personally think McCartney's band on the run was better.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest I was actually thinking really hard about whether I like lennon's song or mccartney's song last night so I made a list:

you're gonna lose that girl - lennon
    she said she said - lennon
    nowhere man - lennon
    eight days a week - lennon
    baby's in black - lennon
    lovely rita - mccartney
    strawberry fields forever - lennon
    flying/blue jay way - harrison
    wait - lennon

yeah, it's gotta be lennon in that case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xscape)
    Michael Jackson > Paul McCartney, John Lennon
    Michael Jackson might be the better performer, but he isn't a better musician than either Lennon or McCartney... Both Lennon and McCartney have the ability to play numerous instruments as well as being two of the greatest songwriters the World has ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    The Beatles and MJ were both great.

However, this guy was The King!

ReputationRep:
    Michael Jackson might be the better performer, but he isn't a better musician than either Lennon or McCartney... Both Lennon and McCartney have the ability to play numerous instruments as well as being two of the greatest songwriters the World has ever seen.
    Well obviously by definition Paul and John are better musicians because Michael didn't play an instrument. It's not a startling feat to be a better musician then MJ he never tried to outdo them in who can play better because he couldn't play and he didn't need to.

His mouth was his instrument. The majority of his compositions from Billie-Jean and onwards were all created in his head, every single aspect of a song. He simply beatboxed to musicians to create a song. If you are unfamiliar with his process I suggest you hear the beat it demo and what his producers says here in 2003
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5b0...ED18F54419A984

Purely subjective who is the 'greater' songwriter. I'm guessing you are comparing his song writing ability with his 80's songs to the beatles? I think he really shines with his later stuff like They Don't Care About Us, Give Into Me, Jam, This Time Around but most of all 'Tabloid Junkie'. Sadly these pieces are unknown to casual listeners.

What are your opinions on Prince (he can play more instruments then paul and john combined) and George Michael?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Leonidas)
    The Beatles and MJ were both great.

However, this guy was The King!

I really, really like Elvis I have tons of his songs the hits and some lesser known. But, because he had such little input in the songwriting and compositional parts of a song his discography is full of filler songs like Prince. What your favourite song of his? Have you heard I need your Love Tonight, Big Hunk O' Love, Young Dreams?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xscape)
    I really, really like Elvis I have tons of his songs the hits and some lesser known. But, because he had such little input in the songwriting and compositional parts of a song his discography is full of filler songs like Prince. What your favourite song of his? Have you heard I need your Love Tonight, Big Hunk O' Love, Young Dreams?
    Yep

I cannot pick a favourite song, there are too many, plus it really depends on the mood I'm in
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    George Harrison.

ReputationRep:
    Wow 8-8 hahaha....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    Lol can't touch me

The Beetles were only popular because of a lack of competition, had they existed today they would never have reached anywhere near the level of fame or success they did at the time.
    The Beatles had substantial competition particularly from 1965-1968. The Small Faces, The Beach Boys, The Kinks, The Byrds, The Who, Pink Floyd.

At all stages in the Beatles career they were doing at least the same level of avante garde work that the other bands were doing.

I agree that The Beatles would not have reached today anywhere near the level of fame or success they did in the 1960s. But that's because now is both a less innocent time and a time that is less inclined to treat avante garde gestures with open mindedness.
    There are now many more channels of entertainment, many more ways that people dilute their attention span (e.g. massively increased foreign travel, the internet, and therefore don't live as much in the totally independent mind as some people once did. People are far less willing to divert all their love to 3 songwriting geniuses and a drummer. People are more inclined to vote on class lines that they would have in the 60s.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 9, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.