Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    130£ - yes, that's for a twin room. Singles near college are 180+ I think, but it's all on the website.

(Original post by dustz33)
    130£ - yes, that's for a twin room. Singles near college are 180+ I think, but it's all on the website.
    Aright cool.. What do you think about weeks? Is pretty close and more affordable than the new ones?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, this thread has genuinely made me scared about Imperial :/ I'm so sad I put it as my firm. I've been scouring the entire internet and it seems if you don't have money (like me) you'll have a bad time.

Is it really, really such a **** uni?

ReputationRep:
    I put a thread up earlier about this, but it has gone into moderation as i haven't posted here in a very long time. Imperial is not even remotely close to being as bad as you may think. Please wait and see the thread.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is kinda freaking me out as well >.>
    Legit scared about wilson house mushrooms now defo not going there (felt like fainting when i saw pictures)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stickman)
    Aright cool.. What do you think about weeks? Is pretty close and more affordable than the new ones?
    I have only been in the lobby and common room area. It's a 1950s concrete block on the outside but fine on the inside. Apparently the rooms are huge. Southside, Eastside and Weeks are arranged in a quadratical pattern and all pretty much the same distance from college.

If you put down Beit, Southside, Eastside and Weeks you've got 4/5 good choices. This does not give you a 4/5 chance of getting a room at those places though since they're all heavily oversubscribed. The details of the allocation system are not public, but you should not put down a strongly undersubscribed hall like Xenia as your 5th choice or you're guaranteed to get it.

I'd recommend a single in Fisher as your 5th choice since they're very oversubscribed because there are few and they are very cheap. That should reduce the probability of you getting the room you don't really want but have to use as a placeholder since you must submit 5 choices.

Once again, no guarantee on this but it seems that people who put down Xenia always get it since nobody want to live that far aways, and it makes logical sense that the system would work that way.

(Original post by dustz33)
    I have only been in the lobby and common room area. It's a 1950s concrete block on the outside but fine on the inside. Apparently the rooms are huge. Southside, Eastside and Weeks are arranged in a quadratical pattern and all pretty much the same distance from college.

If you put down Beit, Southside, Eastside and Weeks you've got 4/5 good choices. This does not give you a 4/5 chance of getting a room at those places though since they're all heavily oversubscribed. The details of the allocation system are not public, but you should not put down a strongly undersubscribed hall like Xenia as your 5th choice or you're guaranteed to get it.

I'd recommend a single in Fisher as your 5th choice since they're very oversubscribed because there are few and they are very cheap. That should reduce the probability of you getting the room you don't really want but have to use as a placeholder since you must submit 5 choices.

Once again, no guarantee on this but it seems that people who put down Xenia always get it since nobody want to live that far aways, and it makes logical sense that the system would work that way.
    Cheers for that info mate. I don't think I'll be applying to SS or ES since I only want a single room and that's out of my budget. Weeks sounds like in my budget but that's still pushing it. That leaves me with Evelyn Gardens, which I don't suppose is too bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellohihello)
    I put a thread up earlier about this, but it has gone into moderation as i haven't posted here in a very long time. Imperial is not even remotely close to being as bad as you may think. Please wait and see the thread.
    I havent seen it yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00bfi)
    I havent seen it yet
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2668489
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for that info mate. I don't think I'll be applying to SS or ES since I only want a single room and that's out of my budget. Weeks sounds like in my budget but that's still pushing it. That leaves me with Evelyn Gardens, which I don't suppose is too bad.
    Weeks is actually quite nice. It doesn't look too exciting on the outside, but the location is very nice. Inside there is a very nice common room. The bedrooms are all quite large and bathroom facilities are fine. Kitchens are decent too.

To be honest, none of the Imperial halls are all that bad. The thing that really makes the halls experience is usually the people you live with.

(Original post by Zottula)
    Weeks is actually quite nice. It doesn't look too exciting on the outside, but the location is very nice. Inside there is a very nice common room. The bedrooms are all quite large and bathroom facilities are fine. Kitchens are decent too.

To be honest, none of the Imperial halls are all that bad. The thing that really makes the halls experience is usually the people you live with.

Cheers
    Spoiler:
    Show
    any updates on your 6-7k budget?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Cheers
    Spoiler:
    Show
    any updates on your 6-7k budget?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Would it be ok if I PM you when my exams are over (after Friday)?

(Original post by Zottula)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Would it be ok if I PM you when my exams are over (after Friday)?

Spoiler:
    Show
    No problem dude - anytime you're free.

ReputationRep:
    mhm

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I just read this entire thread. I'm deciding between Imperial or Edinburgh(2nd year entry) to study Chemistry ( I've got unconditional offer as I am on a gap year) I am an international student so I will probably be paying £25k/year for fees. I am an Asian student from SG and honestly , I don't want to travel half way across the world just to end up with people who are from the same place as me. Sure it's great to have some friends who are from the same place to probably ease the home sick feeling but if it really is like how you say it is, doesn't really appeal to me. From what I hear it makes you more employable by just entering Imperial Uni and on that basis ( plus the enormous prestige that comes with it) my dad wants me to go to Imperial. I think my parents don't realise how Much more expensive London is to the rest of UK ( e.g. Edinburgh) I hope to get a job to financially ease them but I wonder whether it would help at all because I want to do well (preferably a 1st class) but from the amount of studying needed I may not even have the time to work. Honestly, I don't want to be mugging all day and all night just to maintain my grade because that's not who I am.

ReputationRep:
    Somebody please tell me I haven't made the worst decision ever firming Imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys, guys! Calm down, please! Remember that not everybody feels the same! Of course, there will be people who will be upset with uni life. . but that is everywhere. Just because Imperial is harder work than most of the other places doesn't mean you won't have the time of your life here!
    As I said before, I love it!
    @JasXD, don't worry you'll meet plenty of people As for your possible part-time, that is completely doable. I have friends, first and third years, who are/were working part time, either at the union (shop, bar etc) or at the posh restaurants/cafes around S.Ken..

Just relax, guys! Don't worry too much! Every little thing is gonna be alright !

ReputationRep:
    Im a first year mechanical engineering (which is considered tough) imperial student and right in the middle of exams and i'll tell you right now that A-levels were more stressful. Chances are if you got A*s at A-level then the imperial workload is perfect for you. In the first term we were going out maybe once or twice a week properly and doing other stuff on other days. The stereotype that imperial has for social life is a load of crap. If you want to be unsociable then you can, but if you want to make friends and enjoy the nightlife of london / everything else london has to offer then thats easy. You won't find Imperial too difficult if you did well enough to get in. I've had a great year and that also goes for nearly everyone i know here so don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    Thinking of Wilson, didn't they refurbish it so they are going to be better for us freshers next year? What hall would u recommend in terms of distance/price ratio... was thinking Pembridge/Evelyn ?

Also for upcoming years, do you think your living costs dramatically are reduced by not living in halls?
    In west kensington, for example, where many live subsequent years, you can expect to pay maybe 180 per week bills included (20 min walk). Go a little further and you'll get that to maybe 160 with bills (maybe a 40 minute walk)

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm first year biochem, I dislike Imperial, mostly for personal reasons, but I will try and be as objective as I can. London can feel very isolating at times, especially where you will be living for first year (kensington/paddington etc), there are no housing estates, no feel of home, no community, nothing, and if your from a small town this can make you feel very homesick. Accommodation is very expensive, im paying £160 a week for a single room with no en-suite, however I can't complain about about cost, Imperial do give out good grants and knocked off a lot of money off my accommodation because of my families financial situation.

My course is painfully boring most of the time and I think most other people would agree with this, and some of the lecturers are terrible at communicating, but there are a decent amount of tutorials and enough lab experience I feel, and the coursework load is also reasonable.

The buildings are quite ugly, and you spend your time in the same dreary lecture theatre, or wandering around the library looking for a computer.

There are a lot of international students, and some very posh people. Personally I have not found a single friend, the people are very nice, but they're is no one I feel I can be myself around, and I would say i'm normal, Ive always had loads of friends. This is not a party university, some people seem to go out often, but the student union is not up to much and I would say the majority of students have never stepped foot in a night club.

The upside is, If you are a loner, or just failed to make friends, London is probably the best place for you to be,public transport is great, and you can always wander off to somewhere interesting. I was very looking forward to coming to Imperial, I was ecstatic when I got accepted, and i'm sure some students love it there. Bottom line though, I think this is probably one of the hardest uni's to be in, the work is hard, your surrounded by geniuses (who are so motivated its scary), and I think the sheer volume of international students and the lack of social life makes it on of the hardest unis to make friends at. I would recommend Imperial to anyone who is looking for nothing more than to immerse themselves in study for the duration of their degree, because im sure a 1:1 from imperial college would be worth it in the end. But, if you're looking to also enjoy those few years Id recommend one of the other Russell groups.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.