• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptographic)
    'Barman, give me a half litre of beer'
    'Barmen, give me a pint'

One has a ring, the other doesn't.

Will this lead to litre beer glasses?

EDIT: Yes, I am quite tired.
    We already have a "half", that half just becomes (about) twice the size and we have a "quarter" instead. And there's no reason not to have large beer glasses like the German Maß, in fact being able to have a glass of beer that big might be what persuades the public that metric is the better system for beer measurement.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    Canada is just like us isn't it?

Or they've been told there is, when actually, there isn't.

I really hate this 'other people do it this way, so it must be better, lets copy them' approach. No, no, no.

Most of the world use to drive on the left. It was Hitler and Napoleon who changed that. So there's no way we should be looking at switching - if anything, other countries can revert back.
    I realise that's not what the debate is here, but worth mentioning anyway, as its on similar lines
    Canada is for all official purposes metric. This is what the bill is about - people can use feet and inches, or even cubits, in their own home.

And no, it wasn't Hitler and Napoleon that changed the side of the road, it was done for practical reasons (which I won't go into here but you can read here). Other countries followed suit because it was convenient to drive on the same side as their neighbours, in the same way that it is convenient to use the same measurement system as our neighbours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptographic)
    'Barman, give me a half litre of beer'
    'Barmen, give me a pint'

One has a ring, the other doesn't.

Will this lead to litre beer glasses?

EDIT: Yes, I am quite tired.
    I'm sure that to celebrate the launch of this bill, the new pint equivalent will be called a O133. Thus the new phrase will actually be I'll take an O133 of Smithwicks please.

Catchy
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    I'm sure that to celebrate the launch of this bill, the new pint equivalent will be called a O133. Thus the new phrase will actually be I'll take an O133 of Smithwicks please.

Catchy
    That's dripping with so much sarcasm there's a pool on the floor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    That's dripping with so much sarcasm there's a pool on the floor.
    It would work if your name was foreign sounding.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon the new unit of measurement for bad beer should be 'A Clegg (equivalent of a pint)'. Because they are both full of ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    I'm sure if we were to exclude the head from the volume measurement the new "half" (litre) of beer would be almost identical to the old pint.
    They already exclude the head... Pint glasses are a bit bigger than a pint and have a 1 pint marking on them. It's supposed to be liquid up to there, and head above it. If it's not, you can ask them to re-pull it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwertish)
    They already exclude the head... Pint glasses are a bit bigger than a pint and have a 1 pint marking on them. It's supposed to be liquid up to there, and head above it. If it's not, you can ask them to re-pull it.
    OK then, I suppose it is needed to stop dishonest barmen serving up a pint of froth. You'll just have to take solace in a new litre size if you don't like the small decrease in size.

ReputationRep:
    abstain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    We align ourselves with the rest of the world, we use a system that is a lot more logical, our population is familiar with one system of measurement (as supposed to the jack of all trades, master of none situation we have at the moment), our cars no longer have to be made with a speedo in miles (which is going to push up the UK market price), we have (enforced) consistency in measurement units used in retail (because price per pound looks a lot lower than price per kilogram). Okay, not all these benefits are financial, but we're a parliament not a business, making money is not our sole goal.
    And what of the cars already set to miles? How are the drivers going to know if they are going over the speed limit without doing some maths in the car?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    Canada is for all official purposes metric. This is what the bill is about - people can use feet and inches, or even cubits, in their own home.

And no, it wasn't Hitler and Napoleon that changed the side of the road, it was done for practical reasons (which I won't go into here but you can read here). Other countries followed suit because it was convenient to drive on the same side as their neighbours, in the same way that it is convenient to use the same measurement system as our neighbours.
    Wait, your own article link contradicts you. Now you're just wasting my time.
    Definite no, goodbye
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lipvig)
    And what of the cars already set to miles? How are the drivers going to know if they are going over the speed limit without doing some maths in the car?
    We're talking very old cars if they don't have a dual-unit speedo by now.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, sometimes it's just plain annoying

ReputationRep:
    Abstain

ReputationRep:
    The purpose of government standards for weights and measures should only be to prevent misleading advertising, not to impose a cultural agenda on the population. I do not believe that the current extent of the use of the Imperial system is misleading. Nay.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    The purpose of government standards for weights and measures should only be to prevent misleading advertising, not to impose a cultural agenda on the population. I do not believe that the current extent of the use of the Imperial system is misleading. Nay.
    The existence of a single unit for each quantity was a key part of the Magna Carta. This is no different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    The existence of a single unit for each quantity was a key part of the Magna Carta. This is no different.
    If the purpose was to do anything other than prevent misleading advertising - perhaps something more difficult in an age with poor communications - I oppose this provision of Magna Carta.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Right people, would this be more appealing if I added in a section introducing a "metric pint" of 600 ml (and a corresponding half pint of 300 ml)? That way the serving of beer would get bigger rather than smaller and it could still be called a "pint", whilst fitting in with the metric system. Win-win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    Right people, would this be more appealing if I added in a section introducing a "metric pint" of 600 ml (and a corresponding half pint of 300 ml)? That way the serving of beer would get bigger rather than smaller and it could still be called a "pint", whilst fitting in with the metric system. Win-win.
    Sounds good. As long as that doesn't cause the price to increase by way more than the 32ml extra is worth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwertish)
    Sounds good. As long as that doesn't cause the price to increase by way more than the 32ml extra is worth
    We'll nationalise the pubs if that happens so don't worry

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 1, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.