What is WRONG with people? Watch

Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Boltons *******)
Looking after the group and the well-being of others does not work if the group is over a certain size. "Society" is obviously well over such a size and that's why there are so many problems.

Hence why OP makes a pointless, moral high ground seeking thread about a woman she doesn't even know and some of the issues she's encountered. I would add also that half the posters in this thread aren't as outraged as they're letting on and are probably enjoying the fact there are immoral sadists committing such acts out there; just so they can look down on them.
I guess we should all just be hopelessly cynical and cool and not give a **** about anyone, then? I'm sure society's treatment of others would drastically improve then.

We should all look down on people like that, and their behaviour should be frowned upon. For many normal people, societal standards, expectations and empathy are what stops people from acting like animals.
redferry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NikolaT)
We don't have pure freedom of speech. We draw the line where people actually get hurt.

This woman was hurt.

Have you ever been bullied before? Would you like to be? Would you like to be in a position where youths can circle you, taunt you, talk about mugging you right in front of you, and they can still walk away? Because you're blind?

Didn't think so.
I was taking the piss by mirroring the views of the UKIP supporters on here.
NikolaT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by redferry)

I'm so sorry... you've no idea how stupid I feel now.
Fizzel
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
I'm just talking about this particular case - it's obvious she was targeted because she was blind ("let's mug her and see how much she can see"). Harassing someone who is likely to have very little in the way of means to defend themselves or escape (or even harassing them because of that) has got to be worse, hasn't it? Just from a human standpoint?
Well its depends on why she was targeted, was she targeted because she is blind and hence and easy target or because she was blind and deserved to be the victim. One is a hate crime, the other is common sense, you don't mug UFC fighters.

From my point of view, the threat of being mugged would be a lot more scary blind and in the dark than it would with full view of my assailants and surroundings.
No doubt, but I don't think level of fear should really enter the equation. Should someone received a less sentence and their victim lesser protection because they are brave? You harassed an SAS solider, he's a tough guy so you get a cushy sentence?

I just think we should stick to legal guidelines, no base it on some emotional protective instinct. Ticks the boxes of crimes committed like anything else, and decide a sentence.
Boltons Bastard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I guess we should all just be hopelessly cynical and cool and not give a **** about anyone, then? I'm sure society's treatment of others would drastically improve then.

We should all look down on people like that, and their behaviour should be frowned upon. For many normal people, societal standards, expectations and empathy are what stops people from acting like animals.
You don't even know this person.
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NikolaT)

I'm so sorry... you've no idea how stupid I feel now.
No worries it doesn't come across well on the internet
Viva Emptiness
Rep:
?
So?
joey11223
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Of course it's much worse! I was just trying to understand the reasons why it's no worse than if done to someone with full vision. For starters a blind person is not likely to be able to run away or defend themselves.

I too am vengeful, I guess that's why we have those pesky "human rights" and whatnot, to prevent madness if any monsters like us get in power.
Yeah soz didn't start the post well I realised you were challenging them on it being the same, so probably should have said I agree its much worse.

Lol EU human rights is BS though, you can kill someone and avoid being deported because it interrupts your chance for a family life...when you just killed someone else's dad/mum/partner etc.

It's not even madness tbf, it would be organized. I think as a compromise to appease dem jellyfish liberals I need to wait until computers can allow for a human to experience realistic virtual reality, so it really does feel real to you, you have sensation, including pain etc. Then the just deserts/ironic punishments can be dished out, but they're just simulated, so the person has no physical harm...physiological damage...well....if you can't do the time. And if they;re mentality weak, which is likely tbh, and it sort of breaks them mentality into a shaking ball in the corner, there's always a deal with Mars pet food for the new range of "supermeat" cat food.
Boltons Bastard
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So?
So why do you care so much?
Viva Emptiness
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fizzel)
Well its depends on why she was targeted, was she targeted because she is blind and hence and easy target or because she was blind and deserved to be the victim. One is a hate crime, the other is common sense, you don't mug UFC fighters.

No doubt, but I don't think level of fear should really enter the equation. Should someone received a less sentence and their victim lesser protection because they are brave? You harassed an SAS solider, he's a tough guy so you get a cushy sentence?

I just think we should stick to legal guidelines, no base it on some emotional protective instinct. Ticks the boxes of crimes committed like anything else, and decide a sentence.
I agree, if they did the same thing again on a UFC fighter the actions themselves would have been identical. There is just something which I can't articulate that makes me feel they should have a more severe punishment for targeting a disabled woman? I am probably just being hormonal.
Tyrion_Lannister
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So?

The people who did this are disgusting. Hope they get jail time
Tyrion_Lannister
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because I have empathy and compassion for my fellow human being
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Looking after the group and the well-being of others does not work if the group is over a certain size. "Society" is obviously well over such a size and that's why there are so many problems.
*pionts to an NHS hospital*]

Your personality fits well with your username.
Viva Emptiness
Rep:
?
If people only cared about the people they knew and liked, then it would be a pretty terrible (ok, more terrible) society to live in. I would like to avoid that if possible.

Besides, the main point of the thread was to try to gain some insight into the thinking of people who act this way - I find it fascinating. These people can't possibly think they are the "good guys", can they? Or do they just not think at all? Also it's become fairly obvious that no one expects people like this to be punished, and I wanted to know if they should be, and if so, how?

In any case, most threads that don't lead to direct action are utterly pointless.
Welsh Bluebird
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was just browsing the BBC News site when I came across this article. By now I am almost immune to the idiocy of people, but this story really struck me.

What is the mentality of those people who think it is ok to harass and intimidate a blind person on the street? Do they think it's ok?

Also, I'd like to know what punishment people think the perpetrators would get (if caught), and will that be satisfactory, in your opinion?

Article:

Spoiler:
Show

A blind woman who was regularly sworn at by bullies and nearly mugged took to wearing a body camera so police could identify the culprits.

Siobhan Meade, 30, said the weekly abuse she suffered relating to her disability "nearly destroyed" her life.

She handed camera footage to police, who spoke to the perpetrators, and the abuse she had suffered in Stevenage, Hertfordshire, stopped.

A police spokesman said this kind of hate crime was "under-reported".

Ms Meade, who has been blind since the age of 16, said that after she moved from Norfolk last November "numerous incidents of disability hate crime" had made her life "uncomfortable".

"[It has] ranged from being sworn at in the street, young people circling me and deliberately walking me into lampposts and nearly being mugged," she said.

"They actually said 'let's mug her and see how much she can see'... I was horrified.

"It was extremely distressing and it nearly destroyed me as a person... It was intimidating beyond belief."

She said filming the culprits was a "last resort" but as she could not identify the individuals it was "the only way I was going to be able to gather evidence".

On her own initiative, she asked some UK companies for a body-worn camera she could test.

"The police had been so supportive and given me lots of reassurance, so when I took the footage to them they were able to deal with it," she said.

Hertfordshire Police said hate crime was "under-reported for many reasons" and the force encouraged victims to come forward.

"We are committed to ensuring people with disabilities have increased support and opportunity to report incidents in a safe and secure environment, either to the police or via a third party," a spokesman said.

Ms Meade said the abuse had now stopped and she no longer felt the need to wear the camera.

"You get the odd silly comment but nothing to the extent it was," she said.

Granted, it's not the most serious issue we face as a society at the moment, but it is disturbingly cruel and heartless, don't you think?
Absolutely disgraceful to be honest.
Kvothe the Arcane
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How much more of an offence should it be to assault or do general wrong to a disabled person?
And will disabilities be ranked into a scale by which this increased judgement is weighed?
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by redferry)
*AHEM*

Can we stop with the whole UKIP supporters = the SS please.

I can easily pull out the Labour supporters our a bunch of war mongers. You lot would drop bombs on blind people.

See, its pointless and gets no where.

(I am not a UKIP supporter, although I do dislike the EU)

So?
OMG, you have empathy for people you don't personally know? Truly a lefty loony.
Kvothe the Arcane
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Im not of the automatic opinion that being blind makes someone a million times more vulnerable and pitiable
Rant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
the saddest story i can recall recently was the poor Iranian man who was murdered by chavs in Bristol. he had planted some flowers to cheer up his hovel; naturally the chavs destroyed them... things escalated from there.
The mistake we make in this country is treating chavs as human beings. They're not. They lack any qualities that make a human being.
Dilzo999
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I blame it on their upbringing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (867)
80.06%
Leave (216)
19.94%

Watched Threads