Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoodbyeHorses)
    At least I'm not a great big fat person.
    ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (Ari))
    No, more than 2 hours to cook anything for a regular family and you're doing it wrong.

So you would have your child skip school just so they could go on a walk with you or something? At least that's what I think you're saying because they'll naturally be limited to only evenings and weekends once they're in school. And that still ignores what you yourself are going to be doing during 9-3 when everyone's off working/learning.
    You can cook in batches. You can cook more than one thing. You can bake. There is loads.

No. Onset days, afternoons off, schools finish at 3...

I've already explained id be looking after the house

ReputationRep:
    I think housewives/husbands doesn't get the credit they deserve.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My mum is a housewife. My dad a successful business man.

I'd rather have my mums life.

Sadly as a guy it won't be so easy for me.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    You spend time with your kids before and after school. In the day, you cook, bake, make sure the house is nice, sort out anything that needs doing (like picking up prescriptions, shopping etc) prepare things for when your family gets back. When your kids get back you read with them, draw with them, play with them. You make sure food is ready for your husband.

I think it would be lovely. Taking my kids for walks, stopping to point out the insects, teaching them to fly kites, colouring with them, drawing up word searches, cooking together

I don't think it is a lack of ambition, just a different one
    But you can't do those for the equivalent of a working life (21-65, some 44 years). Even if you have a big family of, say, 4 kids with a 3 year age gap between each (which would be quite unusual) and assume they want to spend loads of time with you up to the age of 18, which is quite unlikely they will probably have some independence, that's still only 27 years, just over half of a working life.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and those "feminists" are disgusting

I think it just depends how a couple wants to. Someone might choose to have equal financial contribution and equal effort on chores someone might choose to have one person doing finance and one doing chores. It's the individuals or couples decision
    Fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    I have the utmost respect for them. Someone who is prepared to dedicate their time and energy toward maintaining a home and raising children, that's truly admirable. As long as there are no financial difficulties, this is the ideal family structure. I'm a firm advocate of family units which are structured around a stable home environment with a housewife or househusband (doesn't matter which) with a main breadwinner (or breadwinners).

Alternatively, instead of a housewife, some other family member can take on the role responsibilities which are traditionally held by a housewife. It can be a son, daughter, aunt, uncle...whatever.
    But what would he or she do all day? Surely if a couple who both work can successfully maintain a home, there's no purpose for someone to be there all day? Modern appliances have drastically cut down the amount of time required for housekeeping. Plus surely such a person would be a drag on the relationship - without the intellectual/personal stimulation of a job and regular interaction with colleagues/the real world etc., these individuals would not be particularly interesting to talk to, their daily experiences being limited to the excitements of fabric softener and baby vomit.

ReputationRep:
    You spend time with your kids before and after school. In the day, you cook, bake, make sure the house is nice, sort out anything that needs doing (like picking up prescriptions, shopping etc) prepare things for when your family gets back. When your kids get back you read with them, draw with them, play with them. You make sure food is ready for your husband.

I think it would be lovely. Taking my kids for walks, stopping to point out the insects, teaching them to fly kites, colouring with them, drawing up word searches, cooking together

I don't think it is a lack of ambition, just a different one
    All these activities sound extremely mundane. For this to be the summation of someone's life would be quite sad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by delicious one)
    All these activities sound extremely mundane. For this to be the summation of someone's life would be quite sad.
    You think spending time with your kids and husband is sad? I'd hate to see your idea of fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by delicious one)
    But what would he or she do all day? Surely if a couple who both work can successfully maintain a home, there's no purpose for someone to be there all day? Modern appliances have drastically cut down the amount of time required for housekeeping. Plus surely such a person would be a drag on the relationship - without the intellectual/personal stimulation of a job and regular interaction with colleagues/the real world etc., these individuals would not be particularly interesting to talk to, their daily experiences being limited to the excitements of fabric softener and baby vomit.
    Being a housewife doesn't mean you aren't interesting. I'm a gamer, avid fan of anime and comics, an artist, am big into hair and beauty, a collector of vintage, into politics and current affairs, as well as being into museums.

That doesn't suddenly stop because I decide to actually spend time with my kids

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (Ari))
    I can only assume that you're planning to live in a 20 bedroom mansion with 8 toilets, some kind of equivalent to that bridge that needs to be repainted again once you've painted from one end to the other. :sigh: I give up.
    My house personally takes a while to get sorted

And good. Because really it's not up to you to have an opinion on how people life their lives

ReputationRep:
    If you've got young children to care for then I think that's a very difficult job, to look after them properly (and thus if you have a partner allow them to be able to go to work and earn money for the family because if you didn't stay at home with the children and you couldn't afford childcare as a couple then they wouldn't be able to go out and earn what they do anyway), and to clean and cook and keep the house in order etc. If you don't have young children though I don't really see why you would sit at home even if you are doing the laundry/cleaning etc because I can't imagine a situation where that would be so all-engrossing that you couldn't at least work part-time too (and with older children you would expect them to help out a little as well as your partner if you have one).

So basically if you're a full-time parent to young children then it's a difficult and important job but if not then I think it seems silly and lazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Катя)
    You're a very odd sort of person.
    It is laughable that you feel superior to anyone on this forum given the barrage of narrow-minded drivel you spew on out on here.

ReputationRep:
    You think spending time with your kids and husband is sad? I'd hate to see your idea of fun.
    Husband would be at work, kids at school. They would all experience interesting goings on outside the house while the housewife waits, lonely and bored, for their return.

I'm also bothered by the moral aspect of it. In a sense being dependent on one's partner is a return to childhood. Any purchase you make you have to justify and have permission for because it is, in effect, his money - whereas he doesn't have to do the same for you. He gives you money so you are his employee, and he is your boss. What kind of relationship is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PricklyPorcupine)
    It depends. If the housewife is a type of person who cooks, looks after the kids, does the groceries, organises the bills and makes sure the tax is paid on time etc., then yes. However, if they have a nanny, a butler and a cleaner to help them with the house and take the kids to school because she has a mani-pedi and luncheon in the afternoon, then absolutely not.
    I've got a weird image of life in Downton Abbey reading that:moon:.

I find the term luncheon hilarious for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    Being a housewife doesn't mean you aren't interesting. I'm a gamer, avid fan of anime and comics, an artist, am big into hair and beauty, a collector of vintage, into politics and current affairs, as well as being into museums.

That doesn't suddenly stop because I decide to actually spend time with my kids
    Being an artist isn't being a housewife at all! You just happen to work at home.

ReputationRep:
    Once I get married and have children, I'd much prefer a housewife to a career woman tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ndClass)
    Once I get married, I'd much prefer a housewife to a career woman tbh
    Why? Surely you would want to marry someone who is your intellectual equal?

ReputationRep:
    It depend upon how you look at it really, you wouldn't nessaserily be their employee as you would be equal partners, I don't think anyone actually understands how difficult it actually is to be a housewife?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Seriously ? Just because someone may choose to be a housewife does not mean that they will be of less intellectual value, it's just a choice as to what people wish to do in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.