Turn on thread page Beta

how do you feel that you don't live in London? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I honestly want to stay as far away from London as possible! Too expensive, too crowded and too polluted. I'd be much happier up north!

ReputationRep:
    Good place to work
    Expensive place to live

ReputationRep:
    I live in London (albeit the criminal part)

/thread

ReputationRep:
    I would really like to visit and spend a few months there but I wouldn't want to live there permanently.
    probably two crowded for me.

ReputationRep:
    Glad. I grew up near the coast and beautiful countryside, and I'd love the same for my children.

ReputationRep:
    despite the fact that i really like how east london is so vibrant, i prefer to leave when i can for university.... hopefully to birmingham/southampton

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studos)
    London is the center. Period.
    how do you feel that you are not part of it?
    It's my home, and I miss it. I wish I could have lived there longer.

Oh, and to all the people who complain about the pollution? It's not half as bad as Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Stoke or even Chester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studos)
    London is the center. Period.
    how do you feel that you are not part of it?
    Very happy, not particularly pleased with the fact I have to move to London in June.

I'll miss not being on the poverty line, being able to go to the cinema every week, being close to national parks, eating out for a reasonable price, my weekly food shop coming to £10, living off £500 a month and having a car.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    London is an amazing place to be for a while. I'm hoping to go during UNI however, after UNI I would like to move near London but into another place such as Essex, but work around London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Very happy, not particularly pleased with the fact I have to move to London in June.

I'll miss not being on the poverty line, being able to go to the cinema every week, being close to national parks, eating out for a reasonable price, my weekly food shop coming to £10, living off £500 a month and having a car.
    Ill address two issues here most shops cost the same in London than they do anywhere else. Your weekly shop will not be any more expensive unless you buy more things and going out is fine again most places are fairly priced.

ReputationRep:
    I feel fantastic, London is a great place to visit but I would hate to live there

ReputationRep:
    Glad. It might be a good place to visit, but I much prefer the countryside. I might live about five minutes away from the most boring town in Kent (Dover), but at least the air's not too thick and heavy,too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathlover123)
    Ill address two issues here most shops cost the same in London than they do anywhere else. Your weekly shop will not be any more expensive unless you buy more things and going out is fine again most places are fairly priced.
    You don't really understand the way that shops that aren't chains work do you? I don't really use supermarkets here in Leeds, they are too expensive.

There is NO WAY you can feed 2 people on £15 in London.

Going out is not fine! You can get an absolutely top notch 2 course meal in Leeds/Birmingham for under a tenner.

I have spent time in London you know, I know the realities.

You're going to claim in a minute that a pint costs the same aren't you....

I live in London, not missing out on much... I'm missing out on Dubai each day I'm here though, Dubai's better than London :smug:

ReputationRep:
    Glad.

ReputationRep:
    Not that bothered really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    You don't really understand the way that shops that aren't chains work do you? I don't really use supermarkets here in Leeds, they are too expensive.

There is NO WAY you can feed 2 people on £15 in London.

Going out is not fine! You can get an absolutely top notch 2 course meal in Leeds/Birmingham for under a tenner.

I have spent time in London you know, I know the realities.

You're going to claim in a minute that a pint costs the same aren't you....
    Pints don't cost the same but it depends where you go a good number of places that I frequent are still same prices. Then there's the good number of student Pubs where the alcohol flows very cheaply. Ill admit £15 for two people probably couldn't be done but tbh Im surprised that can be done anywhere in the UK. Also I ate a 2 course meal right next to the thames for less than £10 (not a chain) places do exist.

On a separate note though I live literally right in the middle of London and true there are expensive places around here but as you go further out stuff gets cheaper you could easily live in london and still be in a fairly cheap area with cheap shops/restaurants.

A good argument to use would be house prices by the way cause that I can't argue with.

ReputationRep:
    London is amazing. You guys need to show more pride in our glorious capital.

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathlover123)
    Pints don't cost the same but it depends where you go a good number of places that I frequent are still same prices. Then there's the good number of student Pubs where the alcohol flows very cheaply. Ill admit £15 for two people probably couldn't be done but tbh Im surprised that can be done anywhere in the UK. Also I ate a 2 course meal right next to the thames for less than £10 (not a chain) places do exist.
    £15 is an expensive week for us I try and keep it as close to ten as possible. This week was £8. But you have to run all over London to find them which costs money in Travel. I get to live within walking distance of both Headingley and Leeds center for £400 for a whole flat. I'm on a wage of about £800 a month and live comfortably, in London I will be struggling on £1200. Also up here it is £4 for the cinema. Within walking distance. And it is an independent so we get to see good films.

Student pubs suck. In Leeds you can get a good pint of decent beer in a proper pub for £2.50-£3

On a separate note though I live literally right in the middle of London and true there are expensive places around here but as you go further out stuff gets cheaper you could easily live in london and still be in a fairly cheap area with cheap shops/restaurants.
    I cannot afford to live right in the middle of London. I will be living in Lewisham. It is still very expensive for everything compared to anywhere else I have ever lived. Including Bristol.

A good argument to use would be house prices by the way cause that I can't argue with.
    The rent is ridiculous. I am going to be paying 3 times as much as I am now for a flat once I move.

ReputationRep:
    Happy, I live in a large city with plenty to do and it's not too too busy and people are (for the most part) friendly. Whereas when I've been in London I got pushed out of the way etc. Everyone seems in far too much of a rush.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.