Born atheist? Watch

mipmapped
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
of course being born atheist is totally true.
Being atheist is an active belief, something you couldn't achieve without other human beings.

course they do. Generally when something bad happens to them, or if things start to go wrong in their life so they can have some sort of support mechanism, or something else to blame for things.
Again, with no other humans, such concepts as 'blame' might not become apparent to the child.
Blue!
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
course they do. Generally when something bad happens to them, or if things start to go wrong in their life so they can have some sort of support mechanism, or something else to blame for things.
Surely that the jump from atheist to theist is a very big leap. I myself cannot think of anything that would leave me to believe in God, it would have to be something pretty incredible. I wager that it may even be impossible, I just don't think I will ever believe, not matter what bad things happen to me. And I certainly don't start looking for some external diving being to blame things on.

I doubt that an atheist would ever convert so easily. Maybe someone who thinks that there maybe some form of divine being, or something "out there", but then, they are not atheist, and then were are talking about something else.
persianrose
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
A coincidence? No, not at all. They don't just happen to turn out a Christian by a dice roll, or something. The reason most children who have Christian parents become Christian is because their parents push the religion upon them, either deliberately or not. It's just what they pick up, I think. As they grow older and more independent their beliefs may change based on the beliefs and arguments they've been exposed to elsewhere.
FROM MY EXPERIENCE:
Well, I was born to a Muslim family - not practising the religoun though, just somehow pretending to be Muslims! I lived in a very religous (Muslim) city when I was a child, so, I was taught to believe or rather, practise the religoun. But as I grew older, moved to a place with people from all diffrent religouns living together, my outlook towards religoun changed completely. Now, I don't associate myself with any of the religouns I know of, yet, the conclusions I make about life and being is sometimes influenced by bits from what I was taught of, what I learn, and what I conclude for myself. Therefore, I strongly think that one's religoun is mainly affected by the beliefs of the society he/she lives in and beliefs of those who are closest to him/her. I may have still been a Muslim if my parents were real/strict Muslims and never given me a chance to draw my independent conclusions from what I observe, or I may have still been pretending to believe in Islam if I was still living in that religous city, just to adapt to my situation and not cause any trouble. So, yes, maybe a child is really born an atheist and is then fed with religoun!
Medina_Moon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I completely disagree. Childhood has always been idealised as a time when the imagination reigns supreme, when innocence colours every thought and action; when all appears good and beautiful. I think it was one of the Romantic poets who admired children for their proximity to the Divine, a result of their untainted worldview. It is only with the bitter cynicism that enfolds so many upon ageing, that this sweet innocence is stripped away- once revered, now an object of scorn. I believe, if anything, children are more clear-sighted theists than adults.
wainwright
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think children can turn out to have any level of religious beliefs before birth, its the conditions they grow up in that determine their beliefs I think, nothing genetic.
bannanna_pancakes
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
1. the tendancy towards greed you're talking about is the remainder of the christian myth of origional sin.
2. you wouldnt beleive in god, per se, if you had never been told about it, but you might believ in some sort of power, the way we believe in physics and nature. that is a limitation of the human mind, just like we cant fully comprehend infinity.
3. communism has never been properly implemented in the west because of the social system christianity supports. (see nietzsche)
4. people think of the implementation of communism too often as the implementation of marxism, there is a difference.
5. theories of religion standing in the way of communism are thoroughly discussed in relation to radicalism during the english revolution by christopher hill.

wow its so much easier to think when you're writing like that! perhaps essay subjects werent such a good idea...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (519)
80.59%
Leave (125)
19.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed