Why is C average? Watch

Greenmile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
Not at all. I said a lot of people would find Ds to be fails. Like myself. I would find a C to be a fail if I got it at GCSE, and a D to be a fail at A-level.
I got DDE at A-level, but I consider them passes because A-levels are harder!!
I usually tell people I have 3 A-levels but forget to mention what grades I had. I was chuffed at the time because I actually passed them, whereas my brother (who is much brainier than me) failed all his UUU.

But they were much much harder then!!!! (Waits for torrent of abuse).It was 15 years ago!

I just got 2 A's in my AS levels.
GCSE result tomorrow!!
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Greenmile)
I got DDE at A-level, but I consider them passes because A-levels are harder!!
I usually tell people I have 3 A-levels but forget to mention what grades I had. I was chuffed at the time because I actually passed them, whereas my brother (who is much brainier than me) failed all his UUU.

But they were much much harder then!!!! (Waits for torrent of abuse).It was 15 years ago!

I just got 2 A's in my AS levels.
GCSE result tomorrow!!
Eh? You mean you're retaking them?

Either way, DDE is still a very respectable grade. Especially if it was 15 years ago. In fact, getting CCC puts you firmly in the top half of the population now. Besides, even if it was now and you were expecting UUU, I'd expect you to be happy with DDE. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate that because I was expecting higher.
NaN
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tt5)
You may say a C is a good grade, but it isn't for someone who wants to follow in their older brothers footsteps and go to Oxbridge.

I would be disappointed with an E, but there will be someone on the 24th jumping for joy, because they worked really hard and achieved that grade.
I wouldn't go to Oxbridge even if I did have the grades.
NaN
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
THis is why C is average:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...l_subjects.stm
LittleQueenBee
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
What if the highest grade I can get is a C, would it still be average?
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Cs at GCSE are next to worthless, and Ds at A-level are likewise.
How? The purpose of GCSEs is to allow you to go on to A-levels or get a job. Cs are usually fine for this. The purpose of A-levels is to allow you to go on to uni or get a better job. Again, for some unis and jobs, Ds are fine for this.
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by LittleQueenBee)
What if the highest grade I can get is a C, would it still be average?
It wouldn't be average for foundation tier candidates, but it would be for all GCSE candidates.
Horrorshow
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Greenmile)
GCSE result tomorrow!!
How old are you? you must fit right in....
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
How? The purpose of GCSEs is to allow you to go on to A-levels or get a job. Cs are usually fine for this. The purpose of A-levels is to allow you to go on to uni or get a better job. Again, for some unis and jobs, Ds are fine for this.
Excuse my blatant arrogance, but you can get many jobs without GCSEs at all - that doesn't mean they're good jobs. Some aren't bad at all of course. But a C at GCSE opens up more or less nothing to you. As for a D at A-level, I do accept there are university courses where Ds are acceptable, but really, if you can't remember more than 50% of your A-level course by the time you take your exam, you're probably not suited to a university course in that subject or a similar subject. And if you're getting Ds across the board, you're probably not suited to university.
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Excuse my blatant arrogance, but you can get many jobs without GCSEs at all - that doesn't mean they're good jobs. Some aren't bad at all of course. But a C at GCSE opens up more or less nothing to you. As for a D at A-level, I do accept there are university courses where Ds are acceptable, but really, if you can't remember more than 50% of your A-level course by the time you take your exam, you're probably not suited to a university course in that subject or a similar subject. And if you're getting Ds across the board, you're probably not suited to university.
I was under the impression that you needed 5 Cs at GCSE (or equivalent, of course) for most jobs, as well as sixth forms and colleges. I haven't researched that though, so you're probably right that you don't. A-levels are far from just remembering the course though. Remembering and regurgitating is fine at GCSE, but would barely get you a D at A-level. It's much more abouy applying your knowledge. Also, it's possible to be brilliant at one subject but struggle with others, so just because you got Ds in 2 unrelated subjects doesn't mean you'd struggle with a degree in your strong subject. I agree with you that someone with DDD shouldn't consider university unless there were exceptional circumstances though.
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I was under the impression that you needed 5 Cs at GCSE (or equivalent, of course) for most jobs, as well as sixth forms and colleges. I haven't researched that though, so you're probably right that you don't.
I haven't done that much research myself. However, I have applied for jobs before (even though I never actually went ahead and got one) and on some forms I didn't even need to put down what qualifications I had. Of course these were crappy jobs like in supermarkets and so on... but without basic qualifications like GCSEs, unless you have a vocational qualification, you can't really do much other than supermarkets and shops, and similar things. Or is that small-minded of me?

A-levels are far from just remembering the course though. Remembering and regurgitating is fine at GCSE, but would barely get you a D at A-level. It's much more abouy applying your knowledge.
As is university. And most jobs require a certain level of analysis and initiative anyway.
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I haven't done that much research myself. However, I have applied for jobs before (even though I never actually went ahead and got one) and on some forms I didn't even need to put down what qualifications I had. Of course these were crappy jobs like in supermarkets and so on... but without basic qualifications like GCSEs, unless you have a vocational qualification, you can't really do much other than supermarkets and shops, and similar things. Or is that small-minded of me?
That's strange. All the jobs I've ever applied for, even though they were also supermarkets and shops, asked for qualifications on the application form. No, that's not small-minded, it's true, unless of course you're one of those rare exceptions who fails at school and goes on to set up a multi-million pound company :p:

As is university. And most jobs require a certain level of analysis and initiative anyway.
True, although (I really hope anyway!) university and jobs don't involve nearly as much hoop-jumping as A-levels.
LadyEnglish
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
a C is considered as the minimum pass rate for most employers and within peer groups/own feelings/school/ w/e lol, but the majority of people see C as a 'meh' kind of grade, knowing they could do better. It's kind of in the middle ish, not many people want to go lower than an E so its 'a b C d e' really...depends how you think x
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by LadyEnglish)
a C is considered as the minimum pass rate for most employers and within peer groups/own feelings/school/ w/e lol, but the majority of people see C as a 'meh' kind of grade, knowing they could do better. It's kind of in the middle ish, not many people want to go lower than an E so its 'a b C d e' really...depends how you think x
I would see C as a "meh" kind of grade in Spanish. I'd see A as a "meh" kind of grade in maths and, to be honest, I'd see C as a "woohoo!" kind of grade in history. I know people who've been really happy to get Ds, and people who've been really pissed off to get As, and neither is out of order. It all comes down to your personal competence at the subject involved.
LadyEnglish
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I would see C as a "meh" kind of grade in Spanish. I'd see A as a "meh" kind of grade in maths and, to be honest, I'd see C as a "woohoo!" kind of grade in history. I know people who've been really happy to get Ds, and people who've been really pissed off to get As, and neither is out of order. It all comes down to your personal competence at the subject involved.
Indeed, i was peeved i got a B in drama, but my friend was over the moon they got a C :p: makes sense...hard to explain to some people though why you're peeved you got like a B/A when they're like 'omg how can u be peeved at that when all ive got is Cs and Ds' and its hard to explain that you deserve/worked for/were predicted better so you have a right to be peeved :p: x
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Exactly. Everyone has their own expectations, so everyone has a different idea of what grades are bad, acceptable and good. It's just that, generally speaking, most people believe a C is the lowest acceptable pass, with Ds and below not really worth having and Bs and above good. This is because only Cs and above are included in government league tables and accepted for entry to sixth forms, colleges and unis.
user152713
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Berto90)
From a purely mathematical point of view, it depends what you define average as, but any way you loko at it, C is average. I'm glad someone posted the graph above, it illustrates my point nicely:

If you define average as the mean grade, then the average is a C.

If you define average as the mode, (modal grade), then the average is a C.

If you define average as the median, then the average is a C.

There's no possible way to argue against it - C is just the average.
because they said so
RuthieStar
Report 10 years ago
My aunt who is a Art teacher told me that E is the national average and anything above that she classes brainy.
Xtian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by RuthieStar)
My aunt who is a Art teacher told me that E is the national average and anything above that she classes brainy.
That doesn't sound right to me.
RuthieStar
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Xtian)
That doesn't sound right to me.
I know, it didn't sound right to me too when she said it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (213)
27.92%
No (550)
72.08%

Watched Threads