Turn on thread page Beta

Exam's get easier??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Your right, many of us do put seriously hard work into A levels and we all do find them difficult (I personally didn’t think they were easy). I think the case is that you never do think they're easy when you’re doing them. However, i think that to a certain extent you can raise your game to meet what is ever put in front of you, just as you can lower it if something easy is put in front of you.

I thought my GCSE's were absolutely rock hard, and worked myself super hard to get what are only a half decent set of results (by Oxford applicant standard anyway). Everyone older than me in college at the time told me they were really easy and I refused to accept it. Now I too think they are. Have I really developed so much in 1 year that I can suddenly tackle more academically rigorous work? I doubt it, I just got told to do harder work at A level and I rose my game to do it. The same applies with AS level. It probably isn’t anyway near as hard as what kids were doing 30years ago, or even what my brother did 9 years ago. But because we've never experienced anything harder, we all think studying AS levels are really difficult.

What I’m trying to say is that there is probably truth in the claim A levels have gotten easier and although it angers students who have just worked really hard to get their grades, they too will probably think it was a breeze compared to first year undergraduate level (unless first year undergraduate level is at some dump ex-poly).

ReputationRep:
    It really bugs me the way that people state that exams are getting easier as the only reason that more and more people get A's at A-Levels and pass (a pass is, one must remember an E after all :rolleyes: .) There are loads of different reasons why this is happening, more and more people are doing A-Levels for example, not just the elite few. There's also much more emphasis placed on education, which can be seen as both a good and bad thing. On the one hand certain people are getting opportunities that they would never have had the chance to hav before; however, on the other hand education (as in A-levels and University) are seen as the only route to a decent job, vocational training is at best ignored and at worst devalues by this trend surely leading to a society where there are plenty of lawers but no plumbers.

ReputationRep:
    Many people would probably have a better quality of life being a plumber rather than being stuck in a small company's office as a team leader with 'good prospects and job security' after getting a dump degree.

There is a mindset in today's young people that we must all get to university and get a job (which is almost invariably in an office). Things like plumbers, carpenters and other skilled labourers are looked down on, as somthing our fathers did and somthing we want to better. That mindset needs to be changed, which will take pressure off colleges having to accomodate kids whose forte isnt academia and who are forced into studying subjects like film studies because they dont have the qualifications to do somthing like physics (which happened to alot of my friends upon leaving our comprehensive). The stigma needs to be removed in many schools that skilled labour jobs are for thicko's who couldnt cut it academically. Those trades are just as respectable, if not moreso, than many of the mundane, inefficinet, office jobs lots of graduates end up with.

Why have 50% of kids going to uni when you can have 20% going to study proper subjects nad have the other 30% doing relvent courses for respectable trades. The national economy would only benefit from doing so. I dont know what Tony Blair is thinking.

Cut down on the amount of people going to college and make A level exams a proper application of knowledge, rather than an exercise in jumping through hoops, and the problem is solved.

ReputationRep:
    i think its because coursework is becoming a big part of it other than focusing enitrely on exams

ReputationRep:
    i think that that is BULLSH*T, not because im biased or anything , but if you look froma more detailed perspective, its the same people getting the Grade A, i mean its 1 in 10 people who get 3A, but if you divide the 3 grade A into 3 people they can say 1 in 3 people get at least one grade A, a few of my mates didnt get any grades A, whilst me and the others for at least 3, from 3 people there were 10A, and you can easily say that we can divide our grade A into 5 people and say that half people get grade A. the data analysis in my opinion is not accurate, so people who say its easier to get grade a are LOSEEEEEEEEEEERS

ReputationRep:
    Nice statistical description of the blindingly obvious.

ReputationRep:
    i agree with the original post.
    I find it really offensive when people say that ''exams are getting easier'' I've just finished A levels in Chemistry, Psychology, and Biology. Psychology i found fine but there was a lot of work to cover. biology also okay. but chemistry and absoloute nightmare. I cried all the way through one of my modules this summer!

The reason pass rates are getting higher is because they are constantly creating new A levels in what i would call ''lame'' things like ''heath and social studies'' and ''photography'' (no offense to anyone who has done these!)

The hardcore academic subjects DO NOT GET EASIER if anything they get harder!

Chessy xx

ReputationRep:
    Sciences are undoubtedly hard, and harder than arts at degree level in my opinion. However they have a high level of A grade passes due to the large number (but still a minority) of people who are naturally mathematically minded absolutely destroying the tests (My friend got 5 massive A’s in maths, further maths and all sciences mainly because he’s sharp with numbers, not necessarily because he worked like a dog). I don’t think sciences are as hard as people make out at A level. I think they free ride on the reputation they've earnt at degree level, were they are genuinely solid (and you obviously need A levels in the sciences to study them at degree level). A level sciences have become easier in some respects due to curriculum’s adopting a more 'jump through hoop' approach. Of course this is just my unfounded opinions as I don’t study ANY sciences. My bro did though, with physics at degree, and he agrees.

I know it annoys people who have just grinded through A levels, it annoys me too, but i definately think they are getting easier. I looked at my sister-in-law's dad's O-Level History revision notes and they blew away anything i did for AS level.

ReputationRep:
    exams are easier than they were years ago, without a doubt.
    this, however, does not mean they are "easy".

people get too worked up about this every year.

ReputationRep:
    I did my A levels in 1997 (Computing Science - A, German - C, Maths D) did my Biology last year (never got less than 80%) I found it much easier, the questions just seemed to lead more to the correct answers than I remembered them doing, maybe it's different subjects, maybe I had changed but I don't think I changed that much

ReputationRep:
    This is such a contentious issue! I don't think the exams themselves are getting any easier, BUT i do think having AS's and A2's gives people the option of resitting, of dropping their worst subjects and basically takes off the pressure that people has with the old style A-levels.
    The actual exams are getting tougher, the grade boundaries changing and the courses generally becoming more demanding.
    I am not a supporter of the A* grade. at the end of the day, if you get A's at A-level, you have got a high proportion of marks, and you have done really well. People shouldn't have that taken away from them.
    The top uni's are being flooded by people with A grades, but perhaps this is more to do with the fact that more and more people have access to further and higher education and that more and more people really see the value of going to uni.

ReputationRep:
    Well coming out with D, D, C, E I would suggest NO XD

For my Business AS(!) I got an E and I raped all the info out of the resources we were given for the case study exam but I STILL got an E! GAH!

ReputationRep:
    also they say that each year the exams are gettin geasier, but its just not true, each year there are another 2 sets of past papers, this means that there are chances for students to gain more expierence, i think that the government are totally ignoring that fact and i dont think that they have noticed that more students are getting more oppurtunities to gain expierence.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think of the idea of combining GCSE with A levels do you think this will help???

I dont like the idea but what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    i think GCSEs are genuinely getting more difficult. i think a-levels are getting easier yeah.

ReputationRep:
    I did my A-Levels back in 2002 (Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry), and having looked at some Physics papers from the 80's, and some Maths papers from the 70's, I would say exams are getting far easier. The exams I saw were much tougher than any of the A-Level exams I had to sit.

It's always going to be a touchy subject though, because nobody wants to be told that the exams they worked hard for aren't as tough as they used to be.

ReputationRep:
    *waits for people to throw rocks at me* I think the fact that we are allowed to retake certain modules and not the entire thing also has something to do with it. I got a C in my RS A level, but after retaking 4 modules I went up to a B (it was pointless me takin 2 of them as I went down by 5 marks in one of them, and only went up 3 in the other! lol..thank god for me going up significantly in the other 2). Also the exam board take the best grade out of the retake modules. However I did work really hard in my A levels and it does pee me off when people say they are getting easier. Moreover, what do I have to compare it to for me to agree or disagree whether they're getting easier? Years ago they may not have had the books we have now, the teaching style may be different etc. there are lots of other factors why there are more people getting higher grades and we should be celebrating that fact, not saying people only got those grades because exams are easier!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I think this sums it up very well:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/5260718.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizer)
    I think this sums it up very well:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/5260718.stm
    Simple but does sum it up well

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.