Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Shared rooms in Founders are huge and quite nice, they tend to be turret rooms so you have a big circular bit sticking out of one corner.

ReputationRep:
    what?! i can't believe they can do that dynamite man! are you serious?! i'm getting really peed off with all stuff uni related now! it's not just the uni administration, it's the student loans company too! :| what the hell am i paying these people for? my taxes were obviously for gordon brown to have fun with :|

ReputationRep:
    those fcking idiots. I refuse to believe that they cant find a single room to spare to shove that 3rd person in. madness, absolute madness!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dynamite_man)
    Today RHUL phoned me up.

"There'll be a third person in staying in your room on saturday, on a temporary basis."

Awesome.
    Same here. ****ing *******s

ReputationRep:
    Haha, same. They said for a maximum of four weeks. Haha!

Look on the bright side guys, it'll be an experience! Plus, you get to know two people really well, pluuuus, half cost TV license, pluuuuus, gives you something to talk about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciari)
    those fcking idiots. I refuse to believe that they cant find a single room to spare to shove that 3rd person in. madness, absolute madness!
    If they could find a spare single room then that would mean there isn't such a huge crush of accomodation and people wouldn't be in this mess.

ReputationRep:
    no as in a room with only 1 person in it, rather than putting 3 people in one you can have 2 people in one...see what i mean? And seeing as the majoirty of rooms on campus are single anyway, why cant they spread thepeople out more rather than dumping us all in shared rooms. makes sense to me or am i missing something

ReputationRep:
    on the bright side (dont think you can see this as the bright side) but you get the grand total of £2 taken off the rent you pay while you're sharing with people..(i think!)*sarcasm* how generous!

i agree with ciari, why not do that? it makes more sense!

ReputationRep:
    yea £2 off just takes the piss to be honest. I have come to the conclusion holloway is quite stingy and want to take all the money off us poor students as it can. Its pretty disgusting how I can buy a pint cheaper in my city centre than at rhul

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciari)
    no as in a room with only 1 person in it, rather than putting 3 people in one you can have 2 people in one...see what i mean? And seeing as the majoirty of rooms on campus are single anyway, why cant they spread thepeople out more rather than dumping us all in shared rooms. makes sense to me or am i missing something
    In a single room on Campus there won't be enough space for a 2nd person! Shared rooms are unusally large, larger than 2 people would normally need I don't doubt, so it's easy to fit a 3rd person there for a few days. Both otherwise most rooms have got just enough room for you to go from bed to desk to door without banging your legs on something inbetween. Don't bloody whine about something when you have no bloody clue about the size of the rooms! If it was possible the College would do it, they're not doing all of this out of spite they're doing it out of a desperate need to help SOME people even if they can't help everyone.

ReputationRep:
    in that case why is there a check box on the app form that says if you would mind SHARING YOUR ROOM temporarily? I would assume they mean single as well, wiht that being the majoirty of rooms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ejbrown)
    i am about to start my politics and international relations second year.

lived in founders east, second floor and it was the best hall for community spirit and making really good close knit mates.

ed
    I'm in east
    E35(even number)
    i didnt put the full thing due to somethin someone said ona thread, which was quite funny

what floor'l i be on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Char_lotte)
    I can't believe people are annoyed about being in Founder's, its the main attraction at RH! People keep moaning about it and bigging up Reed - Reed seemed really out of it last year. I was in Williamson last year which is no more, next to Reed, Will was the 'worst' in terms of aesthetics and facilities but the most sociable by far! I had friends in Founder's which had the same criteria as Williamson and it seemed pretty cool. You've got the dining hall right there and in the summer its handy because everyone lazes about in the quad, you're right in the middle of the action. Good luck to all the first years, there seem to be a lot of Historians on here. Take Conflict & Identity if its running for you this year! Enjoy Holloway, oh and join Lacrosse club! I'm the least sporty person ever but I was convinced to join and it was such a great way to meet people. Get stuck in and have an awesome first term.
    lacrosse!! like in Enid Blyton books!!!! (and American Pie?)
    well id would love to try it, but i wanna try EVERYTHING so dunno if i can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hana_1987)
    deffo, vix!!!! i'll probably stumble into someone elses room by accident im sure i'll get the hang of it eventually lol.

when someone told me there would be quite a few fire practices i wanted to cry! problem is though, i'm so used to fire alarms going off and not vacating the building as they're only testing the effiency of the alarm, that when one does go off, i won't notice, or i'll notice but it won't click that i'm supposed to leave hehe
    omg Hana, a post from when u hadn't started RHUL!
    at my secondary school fire alrms were just like that.

I remember in yr 7 it going off and the crazy music teacher said "don't worry, it must be a mistake, they would of told us if they were planning a drill" and we were all like... uhmmm... what if its a real fire?
    happened all the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ejbrown)
    8.30 Monday morning.

If the alarm continues longer than 2 minutes then you should evacuate.
    The walls are insulated with straw but laced with paraffin to stop rats causing damage.

As far as I know, Founders was number 2 fire risk before Windsor castle burnt down - that was number 1!

Ed
    wha.. it..
    i thought that was just the fact that if it was unlucky enough to get on firre it would burn quicker... but that that was unlikely, the fact that the ost flmmamable DID burn down..
    maybes its easier for a fire to start as well

didnt some1 put tissues int he toaster at Founders?

(Original post by MentalSarcasm)
    Shared rooms in Founders are huge and quite nice, they tend to be turret rooms so you have a big circular bit sticking out of one corner.
    sounds pretty cool (not the sharing.. i can't sleep properly usualy while sharing for any length of time)

anyone got any pics?

edit: sorry i double posted so much, did not reaslie i had so much!

ReputationRep:
    lol!! that with the fire alarm happened to me when i went there for an interview in March! the interviewer (a nice old man) told me that it wasn't for real but we had to get out of the building. i had completely forgot about that...!

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I know Moogle-how bizarre!!

And yes, some eejit did put tissue in a toaster at about 11pm so we had to stand outside for like 2 hours while the fire fighters dealt with it..i was not amused as I was in my PJs and hoodie and it was freezing..however it was amusing as there was some drunk guy on the grass attempting to play the banjo and singing..aaahh good times ;-)

I didn't mind the 8.30 fire alarm on Monday mornings as I was already up, but some of my flatmates had that as their lie in day, and were so not impressed.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i shared a room last year in founders and arrived to find an extra person in the room, the 2£ they so generously gave us was split between the two orginal roommates so you actualy only end up with 1£ each per day. And although people say that the shared rooms are large and they are alot bigger, the fact is you are sharing with someone and well that can suck, especialy if someone wants early night, listen to music etc . Living in founders i'd some up as an "experience."

ReputationRep:
    ^ That sucks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MentalSarcasm)
    are all shared rooms in founders turret rooms? im sharing a room in founders west, 4th floor. would be nice if it was a turret room!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 2, 2008

University open days

• Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Jun '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Jun '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.