Internet at Storthes Watch

[email protected]
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
how does the net work 4 those who dnt hav a premium room - do u organise it wen u get ther or b4?
JasonD88
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
If you don't have a premium room you pay for it when you are there.
Visibleman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ste8901)
leg it to canalside:P its miles away!
hahaha...alright about 4.5 miles away, but have a car so used to leg it down there when the internet in storthes was playing up! :p:
[email protected]
Report 12 years ago
yer but wat i meant was do u apply 4 it once u hav moved in or b4 u get ther?
JasonD88
You need to apply before you go. Check the pack that came with your licence agreements.
Mia_18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by **NATZ**)
hiya. hi mia, thank god there some other people who'll be in the gym lol. looks like us three will be seein a lot of reach other lol. just payed for my membership cos not in premium.... had too much fun buyin my own stuff for room lol... sad i know.... what you wtudyin peeps. hope eeryones ok.
xx
hey studying fashion and textily buying. i know im buying loads well they only give the actualy set and im fussy so im bringing loadsa extra with me. yer im a gym fanatic i cant help it! x
[email protected]
Report 12 years ago
all this talk of the gym has made me realise i wanna start goin again as ive not been 2 mine 4 ages
Mia_18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i have my own in my room atm v tempted to bring a bit with me x
pete42
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mia_18)
i have my own in my room atm v tempted to bring a bit with me x
same here, just wondering where to put my bench, it folds up though so i'm sure i'll find somewhere for it.
starofcctv
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You're all so pro-exercise you put me to shame- I get out of breath just walking to the top of my road! Do you reckon we get a tutorial on how to use the gym equipment, or will be just be expected to know?

On the subject of internet, I just need a bit of advice from someone who understands IT more than I do. I have a laptop and will be taking it to storthes with me but I am thinking I need to get a modem for my laptop before I go because currently I just use wireless technology to get on the net. Can anyone advise me on what I will need to do to access the net at Storthes? I'm not IT illiterate, but my knowledge is very very basic.
Chewy
Report 12 years ago
Staro, you will not need anything :P: most laptops come with ethernet ports so
ste8901
Report 12 years ago
premium room also
JasonD88
Does anyone know if all the people with a premium room are put together or if it's a mix of people with a premium room and people without.
Chewy
Report 12 years ago
Its mixed Jason, I remember the lass on open day telling us about it.
JasonD88
Ok. I wasn't told anything about that because my train decided to leave Glasgow later than planned so I missed the connection at Leeds to go to Huddersfield.
jesibean
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by starofcctv)
You're all so pro-exercise you put me to shame- I get out of breath just walking to the top of my road! Do you reckon we get a tutorial on how to use the gym equipment, or will be just be expected to know?

On the subject of internet, I just need a bit of advice from someone who understands IT more than I do. I have a laptop and will be taking it to storthes with me but I am thinking I need to get a modem for my laptop before I go because currently I just use wireless technology to get on the net. Can anyone advise me on what I will need to do to access the net at Storthes? I'm not IT illiterate, but my knowledge is very very basic.

Hay im jesi an dim studying ICT Bsc in sptember and staying in storthes hall

but about the internet you will need to check if your laptop has an internal modem! if it is under 3 yrs old the best bet that is has if so you will either need a router and a usb stick with wireless for your laptop. or just an ethernet cable (looks like a squashed usb cable) which i think plugs straight into the wall.

Gd god i sound just like a geck !! does any one know if there is any other girls doing the ICT course??
Love jesibean x
Chewy
Report 12 years ago
you dont need a modem. a modem is what is used to recieve data from the outside world (your ISP) and converts it over to your computer.

Storthes is networked using an infrastructure called a LAN (Local Area Network) and in each room has an ethernet port connected to a server room which then is connected to Storthes student ISP creating a WAN (Wide Area Network)

You DEFINATLY do not need a router. That is if you wish to connect more then 1 computer together. As I stated before, each laptop now days comes with an ethernet port, if it does not, you will need to purchase a network card.
ste8901
Report 12 years ago
think the network would handle xbox live?
Chewy
Report 12 years ago
from what the other lot was saying about the internet speed and reliability i dont think it will.

however, on the network between rooms, you should be able to link up with everyone and it should be fine. I can't see why it would be slow unless their hardware (hub/switch/router) is crap.
ste8901
Report 12 years ago
lol i guess ill have to wait and find out! i didnt think it'd handle it anyway. was worth a try tho eh!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (221)
27.97%
No (569)
72.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise